GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,338
0 members and 2,338 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

2004 Rush story:)

Well, this is prob. more for my benefit since Im terribly bored at work, but my rush did have some entertaining twists and turns, so it may be worth a read I can't tell you what school its at due to my sorority's anal preoccupation with remaining unaffiliated so close to recruitment but I will be very detailed and truthful so I can make this a little entertaining...

Here are the sororities at my school:
Delta Zeta
Delta Gamma
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Kappa Alpha Theta
Phi Mu
Zeta Tau Alpha
And they will all respond to colors...here we go!
I came through rush from out of state...I didnt know very much about the sororities, but like the naieve freshman I was, I researched the websites and decided that I would be thrilled (from the website's impression, mind you) if I received a bid from: RED, GREEN, BLUE, PURPLE, INDIGO, WHITE or MAROON. Girls from my high school were in PURPLE and YELLOW, but I didnt know them very well, so that could potentially hurt or help me, depending on the situation.

DAY 1: All 14 houses
RED: really liked this house. Girls seemed down-to-earth & very athletic which fit me pretty well.
ORANGE: Girl was nice, but a little odd..She told me that she was a 6th year senior studying rocks...not for me.
YELLOW: Nice girls..didnt really stick out though.
GREEN: LOVED this house! Girl was funny and really sweet..def. one of my favorites.
BLUE: also really liked this one!! Had a reputation for being a very blonde, Barbie-like house, but the girl I got was hilarious & so sweet!
PURPLE: Very down-to-earth girl who I could see myself being friends with.
INDIGO: beautiful girls!! Dont remember much about the girl who rushed me, but I was very intimidated by the girls.
SAGE: very sweet, but didnt really stick out.
WHITE: Got a weird impression from the girl I talked to, like she was being very fake like "OMG ME TOO!".
BLACK: No feelings one way or the other. I could tell this house focused on being involved on campus a lot.
BROWN: awful! The girl I talked to said the F word numerous times!! Very hard to talk to also.
PINK: Liked the girl I talked to, but didnt think the house was for me...
MAROON: first house I went to of the day...very friendly girls..easy to talk to.
GRAY: very "vanilla" house. didnt have feelings one way or the other.

CUTS AND DAY 2 NEXT...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 2

So, we were awoken at 530 am to make our cuts in order to get them in the computer on time. We were told that very few girls got asked back to all 14 so dont get our hearts broken (although 2 of my best friends did get asked back to 14...). I got my card back and got asked back to 12!! I was not disappointed at all.. BLACK and WHITE cut me which I wasnt heartbroken about, and I cut GRAY, BROWN, and PINK. Day 2 was skit day and we all wore sundresses.

RED: didn't feel as connected with the rusher I got, but their skit was awesome! Great backdrops and great dancers! I ended up having to run here in heels and arrived just on time, but sweating profusely..girl was very cool about it though.
ORANGE: Again, didnt feel very connected with my rusher and the skit was not the great...
YELLOW: standing out front I got hit by a WATER BALLOON (thanks frat guys). I ended up missing the social to dry my mostly white dress and increasingly frizzy hair. My Rho Chi's made it clear they were not happy with me.
GREEN: Amazing skit! Loved the girl who rushed me too!
BLUE: Funniest skit of the day! The girl who rushed me though would not stop talking about Adam Sandler...even when I tried to change the subject she would take it back to him..odd.
PURPLE: Girl I got seemed uninterested and bored with me Also, during the skit I noticed that one girl laughed a little too hard and her sisters scolded her..I did not like this.
INDIGO: honestly dont remember the skit or the girl that rushed me too vividly.
SAGE: hilarious skit!! Very nice girl too.
MAROON: very relaxed atmosphere. Skit pretty good..talked with 2 girls about sports, seemd like cool girls..
DAY 3 CUTS COMING UP!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Let's hear it for boring work days!!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 3

I woke up at 530 am to find my feet completely swollen from running in heels...I couldnt even wear shoes lol! I took some advil and thankfully the swelling subsided. Unfortunately, I got cut pretty hard today. BLUE, PURPLE, AND INDIGO cut me...I was upset only by blue esp. because the girl didnt seem to want to talk about anything but Adam Sandler so I couldnt have said/done anything wrong. Oh well...I ended up cutting SAGE which was a mistake looking back. However, at this point I knew I only wanted RED (3RD choice), GREEN (1st choice), and MAROON (2nd choice). I was pleasantly surprised that YELLOW asked me back esp. bc I skipped their social due to the water balloon incident.

DAY 3-CRAFT DAY
RED: felt really at ease with these girls. Didnt feel the need to impress anyone..
ORANGE: dont remember much about this house, but the girl I talked to (President I think) was pretty relaxed and nice.
YELLOW: really liked the girl I talked to on this day. Seemed to have a wide diversity of girls.
GREEN: did not like the girl I got at this house as much. Still very nice, but didnt click as well with her which upset me since I liked this house so much. Also, during the craft we watched a video which was touching but a lot of the rushees were crying which seemed a little staged and fake to me.Still my top choice.
MAROON: this house is beautiful! I immediately clicked with the girl who rushed me and seemed like a friend almost.
DAY 4 CUTS COMING UP!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels85 View Post
YELLOW: standing out front I got hit by a WATER BALLOON (thanks frat guys). I ended up missing the social to dry my mostly white dress and increasingly frizzy hair. My Rho Chi's made it clear they were not happy with me.
The Rho Chi's were upset that you wanted to dry off after getting hit by a water balloon? What did they want you to do-- go in sopping wet and pretend like everything was okay?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

PREF DAY/BID DAY COMBINED

Woke up the next morning certain i had been cut from GREEN and I was right I did cry a little to be honest, but then looked ahead because I still had some great houses left. I ended up cutting ORANGE, so I would be going to RED, YELLOW, and MAROON.
RED: I went here first and I was moved a little by the ceremony. The girl who rushed me the 2nd day said a speech so it hit a little harder than it would have. I still left there not sure about this house...
YELLOW: Did not like this pref. ceremony very much. The girl I talked to and I ran out of things to discuss very quickly. It was very awkward and boring. Great house but def. NOT FOR ME! Funny story: I ran into one of my now-best-friends leaving the house and I recognized her from earlier days and we both were like Def. not this house. Then she told me that she was preffing Maroon (my next house) and I told her that if I didnt like maroon I had no clue what I was going to do!
MAROON: Got the same girl who rushed me earlier. LOVED this girl! LOVED THE CEREMONY! got the chills feeling. I KNEW what i wanted...didnt look back! The girl who rushed me also probably told me a little too much..oops, but either way I knew it was for me! Also comforting to know the girl I ran into at yellow was preffing the same house..

I ended up preffing: MAROON (1), RED (2), AND did not pref yellow. (stupid on my part, but I wanted maroon or nothing really). Waited anxiously by the phone all day, went to bid day, and got MAROON! I was a proud member of PI BETA PHI!! However, I immediately did not love the house to be completely honest. My roomate and 2 of my best friends ended up rushing GREEN, loving it and constantly trash-talking Pi Phi to me I also loved my roomate's friends from GREEN. However, I soon fell in love with Pi Phi and today could not see myself anywhere else. I love it, I loved being a Rho Chi and hearing all the new freshmen say such nice things about my house, and to make matters funnier...the girls who trashtalked Pi Phi in the beginning dropped out of GREEN (along with 1/2 their pledge class). Things work out for the best
cant wait for RECRUITMENT 07!!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, i thought that was strange too! I was miserable and SOAKING WET! come to find out one of my Rho Chi's was a member of YELLOW and prob. thought I just wanted an easy out?? crazy.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Fastest retro thread ever!! I can't believe how insensitve the Rho Chi's were!

And... AMEN to boring workdays.

Are you going to reveal chapters with the code colors?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

You totally can't control getting hit by a water balloon, and your rho chis were wrong for acting that way.

But I can remember girls choosing at which houses they would ask to use the restroom. They didn't want to miss any time at a favorite group, so asking to use the restroom during a party was a big sign of disinterest.

(It could sometimes be worked out that a PNM could go in while the rush group was waiting outside between rounds, so it wasn't like not asking required superhuman restraint.)

I mention this only because if your rho chi thought you were taking all party to dry off, she might have taken it for disinterest in the group as irrational as that was under your particular circumstances.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-03-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BROWN: awful! The girl I talked to said the F word numerous times!! Very hard to talk to also.

I will be the first to admit that I'm guilty of letting the F-bomb fly a little more than I should, but I cannot even begin to imagine someone saying it during formal recruitment.

I'm not one to get shocked at cursing in general, but there are just certain times/situations where its absolutely not appropriate. Yikes!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yeah, i thought that was strange too! I was miserable and SOAKING WET! come to find out one of my Rho Chi's was a member of YELLOW and prob. thought I just wanted an easy out?? crazy.
I see this differently. That perhaps the Rho Chis simply did not want you to miss any of the parties. Especially the disaffiliated Yellow PX since it was *her* chapter. She may have thought you might be a good fit. And if you missed her chapter's party, you wouldn't get to know her sisterhood etc.

Regardless, it does sound like they might have handled the situation better.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

A Monmouth Duo sister!

Love Pi Phi, love the whole Monmouth Duo connections. Always feel connected to Pi Phi and thing it is greeeaaat we share a heritage, kinda like ADpi and Phi Mu and that Fmarville ones and Sycracuse ones. Loved it you grew to love Pi Phi. All of my friends really, really love Pi Phi. I love the arrow. Weird, on of the girls in my field, different school was a Pi Phi and we got to be best friends last year in Europe. I had never been there and she had so she helped me a whole lot. I love her. I wish they had Pi Phi were I go to school and I could get her to transfer. She is a real Angel. So happy for you. YAY! LOL