GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,110
2 members and 1,108 guests
PGD-GRAD, zabryashulze790

Old 10-09-2005, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

SORRY! I didnt even realize I used colors at the begining. No blue in my first post is actually orange. However by some weird twist of fate, green is still green. Ha! Crazy huh.
So I waited till this morning to post since I didnt get home last night till about 12:30 and I was beat. I was asked back to 4 out of 7 houses, which was to be expected. What wasnt to be expected was that the house that I had the rec for dropped me. Im not going to lie, I have had my heart set on that house both times! I was just really hard to look down at my list of parties and see that it just wasnt there. So here they are in the order I visited them:

Red: I hate this house. I cannot stand them, they kept asking me back last year, and I really do not want to be in this house. I look around and know that I wouldnt be happy there. I dont like there events, I dont like there foundings, I dont like the conversation I had with the girls. They sat us down and had us talk to ONE girl for 45 minutes. I talked to this girl about her major and applying for grad school and taking the GRE's. Not a fun conversation piece.

Yellow: Nice room, cute theme, wish this house were stronger on campus. Again I took all things into consideration and just know that by talking to the girls that I wouldnt fit in there. I was uncomfortable and I was double rushed so conversation was very forced.

A three hour break in which I caught my toe under a heavy glass door which proceeded to rip off a large chunk of my cutely painted toes. Ouch. Oh and while talking to girls on my THREE HOUR break I lost my voice, and had the hardest time talk to girls in my next two parties.

Blue: I had so much fun here again. The conversations was great, and looking around the room I really felt the girls were alot like me. It was hyper and the slideshow went along to show that they LOVE wearing crazy outfits. I LOVE WEARING CRAZY OUTFITS!! They were so great I didnt realize the 45 minutes were up

Indigo: I felt a little intimidated here. THe first girl I talked to was a little slow, and we found it kind of hard to get the ball rolling (she was IN my rho chi group last year) and when the next girl came the conversation was great, it was desperate house wives, then football, then the love of rivals (school wise not people). It was alot of fun, I just felt the overall "attractiveness" of the house was really intimidating.

So here was the nightly rankings if you didnt guess:
1. Blue
2. Indigo
3. Yellow
4. Red

There are few sad endings to this story. One is that I woke up this morning with a swollen tongue. I have a grapefruit tongue, a bloody toe, and no voice. This is painful. Also tonight we get knocked down to four houses. And of the four I got last night, theres only two that I am even remotely considering. I knew as a re-rush it would be hard, but honestly had I not been having all this physically trying epidemics, I wouldnt be so upset. I cant even lick my lips. But another sad ending is that if I had four last night, I may not get four today. It goes 9,7,4,2. And I already know what houses I want to pref. I am just hoping that I make it far enough to pref. them. I've also been writing updates to the woman who gave me rec. and had to break the news to her that I was no longer going to be in her house. Unless some never before seen strings get pulled and I get asked back. Yeah thats just not gonna happen. So I am sitting here extremely nervous since I dont want to get knocked down to 3,2, or 1 house tonight. GAH STRESS!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2005, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Another point I want to make, is that I am extemely nervous because I have actually ended up liking two of the houses, ALOT. The reason I am so nervous is because WHENEVER I start liking a house I always end up losing them or something else. Case in point when i took the bid last year, through out recruitment I wanted them not because I like them but because I thought they were better then getting put in the other houses. I know its horrible and it doesnt matter because Im not there anyway, but then I started really warming up to the house, and then it just didnt work out. Again, this is what makes me so nervous, is I really just cannot take another let down.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck tonight and stay strong. You seem to be going into it this year with the right mind set

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Having a rec doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. It's still up to the women in the house.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Having a rec doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. It's still up to the women in the house.
Yep. 100,000% correct! Again, I went into this knowing it was going to be difficult, and this is hopefully a learning curve for anyone else that want to re-rush.

PS I'm feeling better, and rush starts in 40 minutes. . .so Im off!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Well things seem to be going well despite the sickness and toe issue! Good luck today!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

So tonight was pretty darn good! Tonight was philanthropy night with up to 4 houses. I was asked back to 3 out of my four from last night. I wasnt surprised that I didnt get asked back, and I wasnt all that disappointed. It was my second choice from last night but thats because it was better than the other two houses (unfortunately to two bottom houses on campus)

So heres tonights recap:

1st party I ate sushi because I had an open party.

Blue: OMG!! I cannot get enough of these girls! I talked to girl who is basically my twin. I am uber sarcastic, and tell long stories that definately arent true. Like a princess who lives in a tower eatting pizza with corn nuts, glue, mango's and without cheese and bread. (honest to god story we put together to mix things up a litte) The next girl was equally as cute, we talked about school since we're in the same bio class, but it was actually a fun school conversation. I love them!!

Red: I just did not want to be here. Theres no good way to go to a house that you know youre not interested in. And I just dont have it in me to be mean to the girls, so I had a really really hard time in here. Once again I talked to one girl the entire time, and it was a very miserable conversation. I decided that if I can't be mean, then I would talk about something I know Im not supposed to talk about, because it gives a bad impression. That way they dont like me, but we're still keeping conversation. So I talked about my boyfriend, and how we're getting married and joined at the hip.

Yellow: The girls are so sweet, but I just dont see myself being happy here, although if they are striving to find girls to ask back to pref, then I would gladly come. I like the girls alot, but not nearly as much as blue. They really love their house and are just always really nice and down to earth.

So the end tally of the night (if you hadn't already guessed):
1. Blue
2. Yellow
3. Red

Unfortunately if I only get asked back to pref yellow and red, I am not going to finish pref night. Its not that one of those houses may give me a bid, if there is another girl that really wants one from that house. It an early night so I am off to study!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkgirl
Another point I want to make, is that I am extemely nervous because I have actually ended up liking two of the houses, ALOT. The reason I am so nervous is because WHENEVER I start liking a house I always end up losing them or something else.
It sounds a little about when you first start dating, doesn't it? You SO want him to like you that sometimes, you just do something foolish, almost as if you're sabotaging yourself. Let's hope you don't subconsciously do that with other aspects of life!

As for tonight's comments, here's my take, like it or not: If you're invited back to any houses, go! Consider it a teaching seminar in which you need to be nice, but not silly.

Why, you ask? Because you love Blue & Indigo so much! Most Panhellenics (yes, I know there are exceptions) will not let you fill out a Bid Card unless you go to Pref. Then, put your first & second choices (Blue & Indigo) down, and Yellow as a possible third, if you like. If you're not allowed to put Blue & Indigo down, write something to the effect that you are interested in Snap Bidding or COB on the Bid Card - but mostly from Blue & Indigo.

Panhellenic Councils really DO want every woman to be placed, and placed happily!. This is just one way of "urging it along" a little. Good luck, and may you be happy in whichever color you choose.

Oh, and be sure to let us know who each of the houses are, even if you need to PM we nosy people!!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

No honestly I completely agree with you on all aspects. I wasn't saying that Im not going to pref the houses that ask me back (we only pref 2 houses) I was just saying if it turns out that I am asked back to pref red and yellow, then I would have to not attend pref night, and kiss my life in the Greek system good bye. However I'm hoping that I get asked back to Blue and Yellow and even though I dont want a bid from yellow, I wouldn't even consider not going to their pref. Thats just rude and uncalled for, especially if I plan on attending the other party. I was just saying that going to pref night, to two houses that I most likely will not accept a bid from, isnt fair to girls who really do want those houses.

Ironically enough the houses on our campus who typically COB are Red and Yellow, crazy huh? They are the only two houses on campus that have done informal rush for the last three years.

Also since it seems to have come to my attention that rush here is alot different that other schools I should explain it.
We dont have houses. We go around from conference room to conference room in our student center, each house decorates a room for the days events. We go to all nine houses, rank them at the end of the night, and are asked back for up to 7 houses, another round of ranking, 4 houses, ranking and then finally pref two houses. We rank the houses we pref'd then pray that we get that house for bid day the next day. We can't rush only one house, we rush only once a year, and there is rarely an opportunity for COB's. Our campus isnt that HUGE into greek life and thus our recruitment is a little bit different.

And of course I will tell you houses if you ask me to! Out of respect for the houses and there members I dont want to post their identities all over the internet but after tuesday if you are interested just send a PM and will let you know lickidy split!!

Last edited by tinkgirl; 10-10-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Unregistered-

FWIW, not much detective work went into figuring out what campus you're at, and yes, rush is a lot different.

I appreciate your honesty in describing your experiences, and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I decided that if I can't be mean, then I would talk about something I know Im not supposed to talk about, because it gives a bad impression. That way they dont like me, but we're still keeping conversation. So I talked about my boyfriend, and how we're getting married and joined at the hip.
I'm glad to hear that you seem to be enjoying yourself during rush and hope that you get the house you want.

However, I would strongly encourage you NOT to do what I quoted again. You don't have to lie to people- that's not cool at all. There's no reason you can't just suck it up and go (if you have to- I don't know your campus rules if you have to go to all the parties).

Also, sorority members are friends with other people in other sororities. A girl in a sorority that's considered "bad" can have close friends in other houses that are considered the top, for example. People talk. People talk about different PNMs. It wouldn't take much for what you said to get around to the houses that you DO like.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

Also, sorority members are friends with other people in other sororities. A girl in a sorority that's considered "bad" can have close friends in other houses that are considered the top, for example. People talk. People talk about different PNMs. It wouldn't take much for what you said to get around to the houses that you DO like.
You took the words right out of my mouth. It can happen, I've seen it. A girl in Blue could have a good friend in Red. Girl in Red confides to her friend in Blue about how boy crazy and weird you acted in her party. Girl in Blue takes this into account and presents this info to her sisters in Blue, who could cut you. So I'd be a bit more careful.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I will take everything you've said into consideration. I just assumed people couldnt talk to one another during recruitment, but I guess I was wrong. Well then I hope I didnt make a complete fool out of myself at red, and that its not going to affect blue.

**fingers crossed**
Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck darlin I hope you get the house you love!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks! I will take everything you've said into consideration. I just assumed people couldnt talk to one another during recruitment, but I guess I was wrong. Well then I hope I didnt make a complete fool out of myself at red, and that its not going to affect blue.

**fingers crossed**
Well i'm glad you at least know now so that it doesn't happen again!

People from different sororities can and do talk about PNMs and share info. While what happens during membership selection (i.e. voting each night) is secret, what happens during the actual parties certainly isn't!

Good luck!