GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,412
1 members and 1,411 guests
Titchou

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

2nd hand Recruitment Story at U of Arkansas

2nd hand Recruitment Story at U of Arkansas
I have Greek Chat to thank for even beginning to know how to prepare my daughter, whom I will call Lindsey, for recruitment at the University of Arkansas. Greek life was not an option for me due to finances, and I really wanted to give my daughter the opportunity to check it out. I worked hard this spring/early summer to help her get recs, mostly from people who didn’t know her personally. We live in another state, so that made recs more difficult, but definitely not impossible. Lindsey knows no one in any of the sororities, except a brief introduction to a girl in The Breakfast Club. This won’t be your typical recruitment story because my independent daughter will not share enough details with me to make it one.

At orientation all the rules were taught through skits which Lindsey thought was funny, if not time consuming. The next day she had all eight of her open house parties. Here is the code in 80’s movies because I’m old:

The Breakfast Club
Pretty in Pink
St. Elmo’s Fire
Better Off Dead
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Weird Science
Risky Business
The Outsiders
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 – Open House - The actives kneel in front of the PNM’s to talk to them and it is very LOUD. Lindsey liked all the chapters, but her least favorites were The Outsiders and Ferris Beuller. The Outsiders are considered one of the top, if not THE top sorority by many, so I was proud of her for making up her own mind. She ranked those two at the bottom and the rest as her top six (order didn’t matter so they did alphabetical). Her mind at this point is very open. I think being from out of state helps with this. Lindsey’s roommate was supposed to go through recruitment too, but changed her mind. I’m so proud of my daughter for starting the process alone.

Day 2 – Off day for Lindsey. Just a Gamma Chi meeting.

Days 3 & 4 – Philanthropy - I thought I was going to die from curiosity because I didn’t hear from her until almost 7pm her time today. She had been invited back to 6 sororities, which was a full schedule. Other girls in her Gamma Chi group had 3, 4, 5, or 6 invitations. She was cut by Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo’s Fire. The weird thing was that she had two recs for every chapter (if everyone sent them in) except that she had four for St. Elmo’s Fire and got cut there anyway. She had four parties today and will have two tomorrow. She cried during one of the philanthropy videos because it reminded her of a family member. I insisted that crying was not a bad thing, but she said she felt like a “dork.”

The main thing that no one told Lindsey about recruitment was that is was actually FUN! In my efforts to be a good mom/coach, I probably inadvertantly sucked the fun out. Today I told her she should wear her hair down because most girls in the facebook pictures http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/University-of-Arkansas-Greek-Life/136698696356260 had their hair down. She said, “Mom, if they don’t pick me because my hair is up due to 100+ degree heat, then I don’t want in.” I’m kind of glad she doesn’t listen to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

By the way her favorites so far are Risky Business and The Breakfast Club: Risky due to their philanthropy and a sweet girl she met from her home state. Breakfast due to their non-traditional style and how nice they have been to Lindsey. My prayers are that Lindsey finds her home in the Greek system and/or at college in general.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohh I'm excited to hear more!!!

GPhiB
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Go Breakfast Club! I watched that movie almost everyday in college.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry. I don't think that facebook link works. Log into fb and search for University of Arkansas Greek Life. It's public, you don't have to join or even like. There are 119 pictures from my daughter's first day. She didn't give me tons of details, so it was nice to see exactly what recruitment looked like. Wow, there are a LOT of pretty girls!

Last edited by MomofPNM11; 08-18-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2011, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to give you some color... one of the girls in Lindsey's Gamma Chi group said to her, "You are the most laid back person I have ever met." I, her mother, am the opposite of laid back. I am intense, competetive, etc. and I am all hyped up over recruitment. I am not usually a helicopter mom, but this is such a big deal that I feel overly involved. I would appreciate advice from other moms as to how to relax. U of A has a drawn out two week process and bid day is not until Aug 28th. That is such a long time to wait!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

vodka.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I just realized I didn't use Sixteen Candles, my favorite 80's movie! Someone needs to colonize real quick so I can add it I actually did read in the Northwest Arkansas Times that Panhellenic is trying to add two new groups by 2013.

Today Lindsey goes to two Philanthropy parties and then ranks, so there won't be much to post until tomorrow night.

I am so impressed thus far by the whole system. I love the way they give the PNM's a T-shirt to wear each day. They just wear it with shorts and sandals or tennis shoes. It takes away all the drama of what to wear and allows everyone to focus on deeper issues than clothes. They will dress up for pref parties, but that's all.

Everyone has been so nice to my daughter. I know that doesn't mean she's going to wind up with a bid, but she is having fun. No matter what happens, I already think recruitment is worth doing because of the people girls meet and the skills they learn. If you can focus and answer questions about yourself in a room full of screaming girls, a job interview will be easy!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

^^lol Dubaisis..or Margaritas!
I was there last year and I also am very type "A" like you.. It is hard for those of us that are a little "up in the air" all of the time (as my husband says). It sounds like your daughter is keeping an open mind, which will take her very, very far. Arkansas has a reputation for being a really tough recruitment, but it sounds like she will do great as long as she can get past the tent talk!

I will say that the 2 week schedule they have this year would put me into a tailspin..I cannot imagine having to wait that long to see where you end up!!
Good luck to your daughter and please keep us posted!!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I asked Lindsey about tent talk and she said, "Mom, our Gamma Chi said not to do it and our group is good at listening, so we are not." I'm sure there will be some tent talk before it's all over, but I'm glad it's not rampant. They had to wait 4 hours between parties in a church yesterday. I asked Lindsey what she did all that time, and she said she took a nap. She's obviously less worked up about all this than I am. Next week is going to be a killer. They end third round parties this Saturday and then wait unit the next Saturday morning to find out about preference invites. She will be distracted with classes starting, but I will be going nuts. Of course I don't mean to sound sure that she will still be in the game at that point, but if she is, I believe that's the schedule.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

The pictures are charming, and it is lovely to see everyone look so relaxed and happy in their T-shirts! It's a contrast to the Bama pictures, which are stunning, but I find the spectacle intimidating even as a grown woman 600 miles away.

It is also delightful to see the director of Greek life being so hands-on and getting out there in the heat with the GXs. I love to see university administrators getting knee deep in student life instead of being closed off in an office.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Woo Pig Sooie! Good luck to "Lindsey," her friends, and fellow PNMs!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the pictures. My oldest daughter would have loved to wear "Norts"* and Chackos for recruitment. She was born in Little Rock, so a big WOOOO PIG SOOOEEE to all the PNM's. Wished you had used Sixteen Candles as well. The girl she spoke with there could have been code name Long Duck Dong.

*Norts= Nike Shorts
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
Love the pictures. My oldest daughter would have loved to wear "Norts"* and Chackos for recruitment. She was born in Little Rock, so a big WOOOO PIG SOOOEEE to all the PNM's. Wished you had used Sixteen Candles as well. The girl she spoke with there could have been code name Long Duck Dong.

*Norts= Nike Shorts
LOVE Long Duck Dong! They could have talked about Grandpa's hyena.

It was much more casual than what I had envisioned. Everyone on GC said to wear longer shorts and nice shoes. I think my daughter was the only girl in what I call "walking shorts" the first day. When she saw everyone else in Norts and tennis shoes (or Chacos) she lightened up a bit.