GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,360
4 members and 2,356 guests
babobygooglet93, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-25-2004, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Differneces in Delta,Kappa,Gamma,Sigma

To start off with the basics I'm a senior in high school. I'm doing a report on the different sorrorites and what they all stand for, but I've gotten a little confused Kappa, Delta, Gamma, Sigma, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't understand the differences. Also, next year I will be attending Ohio State University, assuming i get accepted lol, and its a huge university. I've always been involved in Cheerleading and felt accepted, but even with the potential to cheer in college I've decided not to. I'm a little nervous about going away and not knowing anyone, and I've started to get interested in greek life, thus the reason for doing this report. My friend joined kappa kappa gamma and loved it and said i would def. fit in. My cousin is president of Delta Sigma Pi at her university and said its the best thing to ever happen to her. But I would like to get a broader perspective. I'm confused about what they each stand for,pledging/ rushing(if you have to be chosen), and rules and restrictions in different sorrorities. If anyone could help me out give me a little insight it'd be greatly appreciated, my email is CheLC@fuse.net
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-25-2004, 08:16 AM

Kappa, Delta, etc are all Greek letters - they stand for different things depending on what sorority it is. Exactly what the letters stand for is often secret in meaning, therefore doing a report on this really won't work. The rules and policies of each national sorority can be found on their websites and honestly are all pretty much the same.

Every chapter chooses their members independently in a mutual selection process - so just because KKG is perfect for your friend doesn't mean it will be right for you.

Check out the Greek life and rush forums, they will be more helpful.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
To start off with the basics I'm a senior in high school. I'm doing a report on the different sorrorites and what they all stand for, but I've gotten a little confused Kappa, Delta, Gamma, Sigma, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't understand the differences. Also, next year I will be attending Ohio State University, assuming i get accepted lol, and its a huge university. I've always been involved in Cheerleading and felt accepted, but even with the potential to cheer in college I've decided not to. I'm a little nervous about going away and not knowing anyone, and I've started to get interested in greek life, thus the reason for doing this report. My friend joined kappa kappa gamma and loved it and said i would def. fit in. My cousin is president of Delta Sigma Pi at her university and said its the best thing to ever happen to her. But I would like to get a broader perspective. I'm confused about what they each stand for,pledging/ rushing(if you have to be chosen), and rules and restrictions in different sorrorities. If anyone could help me out give me a little insight it'd be greatly appreciated, my email is CheLC@fuse.net
It sounds like you are confusing social sororities with professional fraternities. I am a member of both. I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, which is a fraternity for women (a.k.a. a Sorority.) These organizations are not exclusive to a particular major or course of study. I am also a member of Delta Sigma Pi, which is a co-ed professional fraternity, so it is only for students majoring in business.

For more information on social sororities, you may find it helpful to check out the website www.npcwomen.org. The National Panhellenic Conference is the governing body over all 26 social sororities. You should check the Ohio State website to find out which sororities have chapters there (I know mine does.) Then, go to the websites for each NPC sorority that exists on the OSU campus.

Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you have questions!