GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,042
1 members and 1,041 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Mom thread

Putting this here for all the moms (and dads) with daughters going through recruitment. Think of this as the granite-topped island in your bff’s house as you sit on your bar stool, wine in hand—munching on snacks and getting some good stress-releasing conversation in.

My daughter went through last year and I had no idea how much harder it would be as a mom. I wish I’d already found this site by then.

Pull up a chair, order your drink of choice and chat!

Last edited by APhi2KD; 07-18-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Love this! When I saw UARK's final PNMs (1717), I thought oh boy, here we go, it's gonna be a bumpy ride! Might need some of this granite-drink therapy until 8/18!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel for all the "modern moms". When I rushed (1978) it was still very competitive and nerve-wracking for moms, but I think things were, in retrospect, fairly sane.

Good luck to all you moms - and yes, pull up a chair and have a glass (or two) of wine. I wish your daughters the very best - hope they find a home they will love and "ride the waves" of rush as smoothly as possible. Please keep us posted!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

If there is still an open seat, I would like to join the conversation. My daughter is going through recruitment at Texas A&M this fall. She was waffling as she has a really tough major and didn’t think there would be time—a friend’s older sister dropped out of her pledge class at TAMU for this very reason and now she thinks it must be truth.

As she only decided two weeks ago that she really will
be going through recruitment, we have been scrambling a bit lining up those recs and letters of support—especially since a few of the chapters at TAMU are not represented at our local panhellenic. Anyway, I am gearing up for a wild ride—especially with a child who likes to zig where others zag. Case in point, she feels confident her birks will be just fine for the first round or two of recruitment as, “these are different ones, mom. I bought them in Frankfurt at their original store. Plus, why would I want to be with a group of people who judge me on my sandals?” I think I may be beating my head against this granite counter a few times in the next six weeks. Hopefully I can offer some entertaining stories as pretty girl navigates her way through recruitment.

Last edited by Theta1234; 07-19-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-19-2018, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
Case in point, she feels confident her birks will be just fine for the first round or two of recruitment as, “these are different ones, mom. I bought them in Frankfurt at their original store. Plus, why would I want to be with a group of people who judge me on my sandals?”
I LOVE your daughter!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IAnyway, I am gearing up for a wild ride—especially with a child who likes to zig where others zag. Case in point, she feels confident her birks will be just fine for the first round or two of recruitment as, “these are different ones, mom. I bought them in Frankfurt at their original store. Plus, why would I want to be with a group of people who judge me on my sandals?” I think I may be beating my head against this granite counter a few times in the next six weeks. Hopefully I can offer some entertaining stories as pretty girl navigates her way through recruitment.
I love the kids who zig when others zag! Please do come back and share stories with us and I wish her the very best - and you too!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I LOVE your daughter!
We love her too. I will be sure to keep you updated.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I may be beating my head against this granite counter a few times in the next six weeks.
Well, don’t tell anyone, but it’s actually a whisper-thin granite veneer over a high-density polyurethane foam to prevent head injuries.

And hey, we lived in Germany for all 4 of my dd’s high school years and she could NOT bring herself to dress like the locals in Kendra Scott or monagrammed sandals—she actually wore Birk knock-offs for round one.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My kiddo is going through recruitment this fall. We finally have all Recs taken care of and she's planning out her outfits now. I'm not getting too much say in what she picks, but she's pretty good at stuff like that (better than her mama), so I'm not too worried.

She and her roommate have their room décor planned out, and I am making them both really cute peg boards to match. This is so much more complicated than when I went to college and got assigned a roommate that I got one letter from before we met on move-in day. They have coordinating beds and decorations, and they are both so stinking excited that I'm not sure they are going to survive the last few weeks!

Me? I might need therapy.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope you have lots of bottles, because i don't think a couple of glasses are going t o get me through this at all. My daughter is going through recruitment at Arkansas and I am currently having irrational nightmares of her calling me up with being cut from everyone. She on the other hand doesn't seem to have a care in the world.

The granite countertop might need to be a padded cell before bid day!
Old 07-22-2018, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

ALWZTA, I'm with you girl. DD really is not concerned AT ALL. Her momma... That being said, this is far better than the reverse. Some of the most tragic stories I hear of of girls, without a lot of support, who just dream about being Greek. They work themselves up into a frenzy and then almost sabotage themselves during recruitment as they appear way too eager. The chill, laid back girls tend to do really well. (At least that is what I keep telling myself...)

EliBean, DD and her roommate decided to coordinate, not match. (Sending up thanks) That being said, DD has turned the guest bedroom into a mock dorm room as she plays with furniture arrangement and keeps trying out different decor combinations. That being said, I have to admit the girl has style.

Thanks for the table, APi2KD!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

EliBean, DD and her roommate decided to coordinate, not match. (Sending up thanks) That being said, DD has turned the guest bedroom into a mock dorm room as she plays with furniture arrangement and keeps trying out different decor combinations. That being said, I have to admit the girl has style.
Yeah, they are coordinating colors and not completely matching. They've found posters they both love, headboards, shelving, and all of that sort of thing. They started planning once they both were accepted.

They've been best friends since they were infants, and we moved halfway across the country before high school. They are really excited to be together again. Normally, I wouldn't be too keen on rooming with your friend that way, but it will be very good for my daughter to have someone that she knows, and knows her well. They at least know better than to try and pick the same sororities so they can end up together.

My roommate and I both had two of everything, and our sides of the room were so different. Then again, we were also very different people, so I'm not sure if we could have coordinated if we tried.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Theta1234;2458046]ALWZTA, I'm with you girl. DD really is not concerned AT ALL. Her momma... That being said, this is far better than the reverse. Some of the most tragic stories I hear of of girls, without a lot of support, who just dream about being Greek. They work themselves up into a frenzy and then almost sabotage themselves during recruitment as they appear way too eager. The chill, laid back girls tend to do really well. (At least that is what I keep telling myself...)

That is my hope is that if she goes in being laid back and just enjoys it that it will all turn out okay. She seems to have an open mind about it all so I do think that is a good thing.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

To the parents who feel the pain that their kids experience, know you are not alone. I cheered for my twins going through recruitment at two Big10 schools last year. As level headed as they are naturally and as well prepared as they were about what to expect, at the end of the day, they were 18 year old girls. The road is bumpy and there will be disappointment for virtually every pnm. They want to stay positive but it is hard when they are dropped from their legacy chapter or the chapters they liked that their friends/roommates get invited back to, etc. It is hard for them to avoid second guessing when they hear negative tent talk about a chapter they love. As the parent, just keep encouraging them to stick with the process and remember that just like with dating and job interviews, rejection stings but each "no" puts you closer to finding the right match. Good luck to all the pnms. Keep us posted on your stories.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^^THIS^^^^^