GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 302,944
Threads: 114,347
Posts: 2,153,346
Welcome to our newest member, srhgdfbrs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM
LadyLonghorn LadyLonghorn is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 439
@slang You must have Greekchat confused with another site.
__________________
I do not reply to private messages from people I do not know. Thanks for understanding.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17į 39' 3.312'' S 149į 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,945
OK - LadyLonghorn got my SOS and she's on it with kkpita1 so I am gonna ask a supermod to edit my posts as well. It's all good. I just want the OP to have a decent rush experience and it's TEXAS for the love of Mike, people. Please. Thank you in advance for letting me exit stage left.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 PM
PhilTau PhilTau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 116
The term decayed society may be a little harsh and inaccurate. Perhaps generational wealth or trust funder may be better, less offensive terms. UT-Austin is not alone. The same comment could be made about other well-known Texas universities that appear to place a big emphasis on Greek social organizations (though, in the overall UT System, Greek social organizations have never been considered a big emphasis).

And yes, I am sure there are plenty of parties in Texas. But the old oil money (on which Texas society is based) has been disbursed and diluted through multiple generations. And sometimes (at the end of all that money) their great grandchildern don't turn out so well * * * but sometimes they turn out wonderful. Obviously, UT-Austin has its share of both types of kids.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Ag_Sis Ag_Sis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
The term decayed society may be a little harsh and inaccurate. Perhaps generational wealth or trust funder may be better, less offensive terms. UT-Austin is not alone. The same comment could be made about other well-known Texas universities that appear to place a big emphasis on Greek social organizations (though, in the overall UT System, Greek social organizations have never been considered a big emphasis).

And yes, I am sure there are plenty of parties in Texas. But the old oil money (on which Texas society is based) has been disbursed and diluted through multiple generations. And sometimes (at the end of all that money) their great grandchildern don't turn out so well * * * but sometimes they turn out wonderful. Obviously, UT-Austin has its share of both types of kids.
wat?
__________________
Looking for home in the heart of Aggieland
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 PM
SLang SLang is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
In a perfect world girls would get a bid from a house they are totally psyched about. But we don't live in a perfect world and at super competitive schools like Texas, Ole Miss and Alabama, girls can be lucky to get a bid period even if it is guaranteed (given that they go through the system as they're instructed). I've known many girls take a bid who were unsure about their house, but they gave it their best. And you know what? They fell in love with that house. I've heard some say they can't imagine being anywhere else now.

My advice is that in a house with 300-400 girls you can surely find your "home", so take the bid and give it your best shot.

I wish the OP well in finding a home.
At UT, re-rushing is a good option. The only drawback is foregoing sorority life as a freshman. If youíre connected to actives as a freshman, youíll be going to all of the frat parties and their formals, TX/OU, Round Up, the profit shares, etc., so you still fun. Iíve seen it happen here over and over. A girl goes through as an unknown, gets dropped by her favorite houses, drops out completely, only to re-rush and get what she wants as a sophomore.

Texas chapters average 200 girls (AXD not that many and SDT even less). Sure, there is always a girl or 2 within any house that you can bond with but you want to pledge a chapter that you fit with overall. Every re-rusher I know who connected with actives as a freshman had success the second time around. Because many girls only get into UT as transfers, all UT chapters are used to bidding sophomores.

And hey, if youíre dirty rushed, that means youíre on a sororityís radar (a good thing!). Your takeaway: re-rushing at UT works so donít settle. Canít wait to hear your story!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 PM
SLang SLang is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
The term decayed society may be a little harsh and inaccurate. Perhaps generational wealth or trust funder may be better, less offensive terms. UT-Austin is not alone. The same comment could be made about other well-known Texas universities that appear to place a big emphasis on Greek social organizations (though, in the overall UT System, Greek social organizations have never been considered a big emphasis).

And yes, I am sure there are plenty of parties in Texas. But the old oil money (on which Texas society is based) has been disbursed and diluted through multiple generations. And sometimes (at the end of all that money) their great grandchildern don't turn out so well * * * but sometimes they turn out wonderful. Obviously, UT-Austin has its share of both types of kids.
Youíre seriously out of your element.

Weíve got trust funders and rich kids all over greek life, which is why wealth was one of the qualities I mentioned. The OOS greeks have the means to handle full tuition, high dues and all that travel. Our greek system is old. Itís always been high profile because of itís connections to cheer, pom, Spurs, Cowboys, student govt, Round Up and more. You think Texas society is based on oil money?? Youíre not from here or else youíd know that mineral rights, ranching, farming and business figure pretty strongly into Texas society. And your comment about some oil money kids not turning out so well, see UTís 39% acceptance ratio, an indication that UT takes students that have ďturned out wellĒ.

You should stop; your ignorance is showing. You kinda sound jealous of UT greeks or something.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 PM
SLang SLang is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
@slang You must have Greekchat confused with another site.
Huh?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 AM
Just interested Just interested is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 872
There is a post every year about about UT recruitment. It's like a right of Spring. And, every year, nothing changes. In the last few years Greek life has been growing, but at UT, there has been no growth among Panhellenic groups. It is a sad statement but true that the newest group on campus was the recolonization of Kappa Delta over 35 years ago. Part of me thinks that there are chapters on campus that like it that way. It's a bubble for them to feel secure with girls they have known all their life on a campus with over 40,000 undergraduates. Only 14% of the campus are Greek. FYI, Slang, you need to listen to Lady Longhorn. And also for your information there are a LOT of Greek systems older than the University of Texas and people in Texas with the "old" money don't talk about it. It is not polite conversation. OP, for girls who want the Greek experience there is a home at the University of Texas. Keep an open mind, get your references and be yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM
SLang SLang is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
There is a post every year about about UT recruitment. It's like a right of Spring. And, every year, nothing changes. In the last few years Greek life has been growing, but at UT, there has been no growth among Panhellenic groups. It is a sad statement but true that the newest group on campus was the recolonization of Kappa Delta over 35 years ago. Part of me thinks that there are chapters on campus that like it that way. It's a bubble for them to feel secure with girls they have known all their life on a campus with over 40,000 undergraduates. Only 14% of the campus are Greek. FYI, Slang, you need to listen to Lady Longhorn. And also for your information there are a LOT of Greek systems older than the University of Texas and people in Texas with the "old" money don't talk about it. It is not polite conversation. OP, for girls who want the Greek experience there is a home at the University of Texas. Keep an open mind, get your references and be yourself.
Did you read the thread? The only one initiating talk of old money was Phil Tau. UT Greek life a bubble? We say over and over we have lots of OOS students. For the record, UT is definitely one of the older Greek systems in the country, with many single-letter chapters. And Iím listening to LL regarding my own Greek system for....??

OP, yes, we're up over here! Got your pm. Responding now.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,052
Let me guess....you're majoring in Diplomacy?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17į 39' 3.312'' S 149į 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Did you read the thread? The only one initiating talk of old money was Phil Tau. UT Greek life a bubble? We say over and over we have lots of OOS students. For the record, UT is definitely one of the older Greek systems in the country, with many single-letter chapters. And Iím listening to LL regarding my own Greek system for....??

OP, yes, we're up over here! Got your pm. Responding now.
uh, no. You're mistaken. Or, to use your very own words, "wrong wrong wrong".

What is your chapter, SLang? And if you don't know why you should be listening to LL, that speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
wsucalsigmakapp wsucalsigmakapp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 139
I wish there was a like button so I could like AZTheta's response....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 PM
SLang SLang is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
FSU-I’m majoring in the same thing as Phil Tau and JInterested (who said Texas society is decaying and UT greeks live in a self-comforting bubble). AZTheta-you really wanna argue that UT does not have an old greek system?! Do.the.math. And remind me why I need rush advice, considering I’ve successfully navigated one of the hardest recruitments at one of the best public universities??

Cleo/kppita got what she needs from me personally so I’m done, but this for all y’all: TEXAS, TEXAS, YeeeHaaaw! bye
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-15-2018, 02:21 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17į 39' 3.312'' S 149į 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
FSU-Iím majoring in the same thing as Phil Tau and JInterested (who said Texas society is decaying and UT greeks live in a self-comforting bubble). AZTheta-you really wanna argue that UT does not have an old greek system?! Do.the.math. And remind me why I need rush advice, considering Iíve successfully navigated one of the hardest recruitments at one of the best public universities??

Cleo/kppita got what she needs from me personally so Iím done, but this for all yíall: TEXAS, TEXAS, YeeeHaaaw! bye
it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool ... oh wait, you know everything about Greek history including that it has something to do with math. This is rich.

You don't need rush advice. You need a Dale Carnegie course, for starters.

Again, what is your chapter?

*crickets*
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Iota_JWH Iota_JWH is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 66
UC-Berkeley had 20 sororities by 1920, nearly all single letter chapters. University of Illinois had 16 chapters. Much more than Texas.

Yep, SLang is one of those "women" that is the stereotype of the entitled sorority b****
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recruitment UT Austin summergal Sorority Recruitment 36 05-10-2017 11:20 PM
UT Austin Out of State? HookEmHunter Fraternity Recruitment 5 05-09-2012 12:15 PM
Stephen F. Austin State University Chapter rickydon12 Delta Chi 12 10-30-2009 03:10 AM
Two Arrested, Hazing Investigation Continues (Stephen F. Austin State U) exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 10 02-09-2007 09:05 AM
Austin Peay State University XO to be in Glamour Tippiechick Greek Life 3 06-21-2005 07:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.