GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,680
2 members and 1,678 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-05-2002, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Are some phrases/words SPECIFIC to certain Greek orgs?

Courtesy of Soror Happydays...

All greeks...are there terms you only associate with your group or organization and would automatically think the peson is a soror or frat just because they used them? Would you be totally offended by an interest on GC using such?

Some examples would be Pretty Girls, Finer Womanhood, Dawg, Pretty Boys, etc.
Old 04-06-2002, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I'll take the bit.

Something blatant like "ivy", "08", "AKA", etc... yeah, that's a problem. If I see something like "pretty girl", I'm probably going to wonder if that's my soror. I know a lot of people have problems with things like that, but I guess I don't because of my own experience here on GC. I got a few PMs after I crossed where people were surprised I had interest in AKA.. since my screen name is "SweetestDiva ", "Diva" being a term associated with Delta Sigma Theta. Well, since I had no interest in Delta, it never really struck me not to use it. I never would have used a handle like pretty girl since I was interested in AKA, or Diva anything if I was interested in DST. I think it's common sense to stay away from certain catchphrases of the org. you're interested in.... but nothing to beat them over the head about.

Last edited by SweetestDiva; 04-06-2002 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Skee Wee

'000000000000000000000000008!!!

Pretty-n-Pink

Gorgeous-n-Green

Phirst and the Phinest

Pretty Girls Incorporated

Pretty Ladies

I'm pretty on the left,I'm pretty on the right...

Not conceited,just convinced

Allllpha Kappa Allllpha (elongating the pronunciation as most SORORS do)

Just to name a few.....................................
Old 04-08-2002, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmmm...

Pretty Girls, Incorporated is the official name of an auxiliary group -- formerly Kappa Sweethearts. Therefore, I would think you are a sweetheart and not my soror if you used that handle...

Also, Pretty on my left and pretty on my right...well, that's an old Kappa chat....As I recall, Sorors 'borrowed' (smile) this (I'm pretty on my left, I'm pretty on my right..I'm so dang pretty I can't sleep at night...aw, aw, awwww)...therefore, I would assume you were a Kappa if you had this anywhere in your tag....

I guess...as long as you are not saying you are an AKA (soror)....I'm fine with it all. Some things such as the letters AKA, '08, skee-wee, ivy and 20 pearls I associate with the organization...but not other things like someone having pink, green, first, conceited, convinced, pretty girl/lady or etc. in their tag....

BTW....thanks Ideal....I was really wondering was it just me in the Alpha forum.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
The previous examples were good ones. If I saw someone with those words in their handle, I'd wonder if they knew any better, and if not... why not?

It all goes back to researching & knowing enough about the org that you're interested in, especially if you are creating a screen name and signature to post in this type of environment, so as not to offend. I am aware that sometimes people do/ say things without even realizing that it may be offensive.

Some other examples that may cause us to go :

A Kappa interest with Smooth, Suave, Debonnaire (sp) or Pretty in their name.

An Alpha interest with any reference to Apes, Ice, Cold, in their name.

Looking at the popularity of : Pretty Girls wear 20 Pearls...

An AKA interest with Pretty, Pearls, pinkies or noses in their screen name.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

the usage of ANY founder/incorporator, member's name:

OneofEthel'sgirls
Oneof2D's girls...LMAO

I think on another site, someone used something with Ethel...
Old 04-08-2002, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
my take

I'm pretty on the left,I'm pretty on the right...

when I hear that phrase I think of Kappas, out here in Cali, that's more of a Kappa thing than aka thing.

I also noticed something that changed(not trying to start mess)
but when I crossed in 96, the aka's were known for saying the chant "I said my sorors, you looking good today, well an aka looks good everyday! skee-wee!" But now that's strictly a Zeta chant out here now, I was like WTH? But I still associate that chant with the aka's.

Diva's and Delta go hand in hand and I haven't heard anyone in Cali call themselves otherwise

Bruhs is associated with the Ques. They also coined the phrases "Be Out" and "Cat". And a lot of other terms The Ques don't get credit for. Now I hear every frat calling his frat "bruhs".

Sigmas are associated with being called "Sigmas" I know other places that Rho's are called "Sigmas" or "Lady Sigmas". In cali we call them Rho's.

The Chant "What is a Delta?" has always been associated with us, but now I hear different ones from other orgs. But it's still associated with us.

I'll be back with more.

QTE
Old 04-09-2002, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: my take

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE
Bruhs is associated with the Ques. They also coined the phrases "Be Out" and "Cat". And a lot of other terms The Ques don't get credit for. Now I hear every frat calling his frat "bruhs".
QTE

Like "TailDog"??
Old 04-09-2002, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Talking LOL

Exactly like the term tail dog

QTE
Old 04-09-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorors and my greek sisters I know plenty of SORORS who use pretty girls incorporated in there chants, tag or on a jacket and I'm sure we have all heard the pretty on left etc. chanted by SORORS!! I guess it all depends on where YOU are from. To each his own..........
Old 04-09-2002, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Re: my take

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE

I also noticed something that changed(not trying to start mess)
but when I crossed in 96, the aka's were known for saying the chant "I said my sorors, you looking good today, well an aka looks good everyday! skee-wee!" But now that's strictly a Zeta chant out here now, ...

QTE
Well, I crossed in '91 at Howard University and that chant was a ZETA chant. You can believe if it was an aka chant, my sister sorors of aka would have let us know.

I am not saying you have a hearing problem, BUT we all know chants change constantly. So if you heard it in 96 as aka chant and I heard it in 90 as Zeta chant and now you believe it has "become" strictly a Zeta chant...go figure.

I have seen other organizations use the term "Finer" "Finer Womanhood" and variations. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. does own the term in their founding principles. I would like to believe the only reason another organization would claim it by association would be because they simply do not know the history of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

At Howard, DIVA was an organization. So you did not see dst calling themselves divas.

As for Pearls and Pretty... My Founders are referred to as Pearls (as are many other Founders in BGLOs) and many of my Sorors call themselves Pretty Kitties...which of course had significance to my organization's pledge program...which certainly is not new.

The phirst phamily thang is NEW. Cute...but nonetheless NEW. None of that was anywhere on Howard's campus 14 years ago. I would think since aka was founded at Howard and aphia's second chapter Beta was established on Howard's campus just shortly before aka, if this was a claim for them, the ties of "phirst phamily" would not have been lost by the time I arrived on campus in '88.

I guess the real deal is folks are going to use what ever nomenclature they want to use. No need to get bent out of shape. I liked African violets before I became a Zeta. Am I supposed to stop buying them now because, they hold significance to a sorority other than my own? Of course not...that would be silly. ( But you won't see me wearing a shirt that says "Violets are forever" either )
Old 04-09-2002, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Re: Re: my take

Quote:
Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91

I have seen other organizations use the term "Finer" "Finer Womanhood" and variations. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. does own the term in their founding principles. I would like to believe the only reason another organization would claim it by association would be because they simply do not know the history of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

orrrrrrr, maybe the organiztion(s) was/were using it PRIOR to the 1920's....

Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Re: Re: Re: my take

I would think if you are stating as a case for "ownership" the words "Finer Womanhood" being significant to aka or dst, both organizations would have somewhere in their official marketing collateral, official websites, or public history made such a claim. I have visited the official websites of aka and dst, been in the national headquarters of dst, and have family members of both aka and dst...none of those sources show or have stated or implied any marriage to the the words "Finer or Finer Womanhood".

I stand by my initial claim...as it were initially posted...the words "Finer and Finer Womanhood" are naturally associated with Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. "Finer Womanhood" is a well documented ideal associated with Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated for over 80 years.

If you can use the premise that the" the usage of ANY founder/incorporator, member's name" is inappropriate...why would you be confused by the notion of a founding principle being inappropriate? Are the principles of an organization not the common foundation upon which all are bound? Its the one thing all can say you have totally in common in one's membership. None of my Founders were film makers but I can say that in common with the Founders of my illustrious Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. I am comitted to sisterly love, scholarship, service and the ideal of Finer Womanhood.

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

orrrrrrr, maybe the organiztion(s) was/were using it PRIOR to the 1920's....

Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

EVERYTHING about us is not public knowledge, contrary to some beliefs. Therefore, you will NOT see it spread EVERYWHERE, not on a website, webpage, periodical, etc.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a WHOLE lot of information that is NOT public about any of the D9...

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
EVERYTHING about us is not public knowledge, contrary to some beliefs. Therefore, you will NOT see it spread EVERYWHERE, not on a website, webpage, periodical, etc.

The question was " Are certain phrases/words SPECIFIC to certain Greek orgs?" I would think this question would imply we are talking about "public" information rather information that is identified naturally with one's organization.

If many sororities strived to be finer women in the refined sense behind closed doors, it would not suprise me. Afterall, what "sorority minded" woman in the very generalized sense in her right mind would want her organization identified as anything less than re"fine"d?