GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,139
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zabyanusasdo530
» Online Users: 1,171
2 members and 1,169 guests
g41965, LaneSig

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe Kevin doesn't mean "ranking" literally, because I agree with him.

I think all GLOs could stand to view each other's progress in a neutral, meaningful way. Maybe not in a strict ranking, but maybe a chart. We all know that all the smillions of NIC organizations are not true "peer" organizations, but I think it's wiser to compare organizations against each other rather than internal metrics all the time.

Or look at it this way:

Executive leadership and volunteers could make use of GOOD data.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

And they do (in NPC anyway). They know the sizes, philanthropy donation information, scholarship statistics (which is what I would like to see instead of FB and Twitter followers), and recruitment statistics (% of Quota and Total as a whole, not just by chapter). NPC groups share a lot of information with each other.

I'm most bothered by men being ranked by presidents and congress members and women getting ranked by social media followers. Surely college education women can be evaluated on something other than their social media involvement, right? What an insult.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I think tracking social media is actually more important than the numbers of Congresspeople. I acknowledge that you feel insulted, though.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Really? What good do you see this doing?
Let me be a little more clear. Overall rankings are probably a waste of time. However, a ranking as to amount invested in real estate would possibly be very helpful. If my group had a very low ranking and Lambda Chi Alpha had a very high ranking and I wanted to improve, I'd know immediately who I'm going to look at for ideas.

But maybe that's not your cup of tea and you're more interested in community service. If your group was #25 in community service hours and that was your main goal, wouldn't you like to know what #1 is doing differently?

Yes, a lot of groups are different, but within the 70 or so members of the NIC, we're probably a lot more similar overall than different. Most of us want the numbers, want to give money to charity, want to set up effective organizations. Knowing who those effective organizations are so that they may be observed is going to help everyone.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Let me be a little more clear. Overall rankings are probably a waste of time. However, a ranking as to amount invested in real estate would possibly be very helpful. If my group had a very low ranking and Lambda Chi Alpha had a very high ranking and I wanted to improve, I'd know immediately who I'm going to look at for ideas.

But maybe that's not your cup of tea and you're more interested in community service. If your group was #25 in community service hours and that was your main goal, wouldn't you like to know what #1 is doing differently?

Yes, a lot of groups are different, but within the 70 or so members of the NIC, we're probably a lot more similar overall than different. Most of us want the numbers, want to give money to charity, want to set up effective organizations. Knowing who those effective organizations are so that they may be observed is going to help everyone.
Ok, this makes more sense.

What I'd actually like to see is the (relevant) data broken down even further. In addition to reporting that ABC raised $500,000 in philanthropic endeavors last year, provide information like:
Which charitable organiztions they're involved with
Average dollar amount raised per member/chapter
Average number of volunteer hours per member/chapter
Etc.

Because, for example, let's say (on a much smaller scale) there are 2 organizations that both raise $1,000, and one has 100 members, and the other has 10 members. If philanthropy was important to you, which would you be more drawn to?

And while this would definitely be helpful, it's still tricky when it comes to the NPC especially, with the way they run recruitment. And it still isn't perfect overall, as every campus/chapter of every organization is different.

Either way, get rid of the numbered rankings.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

I have no comment on NPC groups. I'd like to see something for NIC groups though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
And while this would definitely be helpful, it's still tricky when it comes to the NPC especially, with the way they run recruitment.
Why do you say this? It's been my experience that NPC groups are very open with one another, even in areas where they are "competing".
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why do you say this? It's been my experience that NPC groups are very open with one another, even in areas where they are "competing".
I don't mean that the information wouldn't be beneficial, or that it shouldn't be available to the public.

Generally speaking though, with fraternity and non-NPC sorority recruitment, potential members "pick and choose" which groups' recruitment events to attend. In the NPC, potential members attend every chapters' recruitment events, are encouraged to "keep an open mind" and stick with it even when they don't get their first choice. There are quotas, and total, and silence rules, and other things that factor in, and not everyone can get their first choice.

That's not to say that everyone gets their first choice outside of the NPC, but hopefully you understand where I'm coming from

@~/~~~~
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

IMO...

Benchmarking/comparison = good
"Ranking" = not good

I would like to know how my organization stacks up against our peers, but the fact that ODPhi raised $XX while ABC fraternity raised $X for a charity does not mean that we're inherently better.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
IMO...

Benchmarking/comparison = good
"Ranking" = not good

I would like to know how my organization stacks up against our peers, but the fact that ODPhi raised $XX while ABC fraternity raised $X for a charity does not mean that we're inherently better.
This!

@~/~~~~
Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I agree. And I also agree with AGDee...NPC groups track comparison data. From a business perspective, it's important to know how your organization is tracking compared to others -- to determine if it's healthy, and where improvement efforts/resources may need to be focused.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Maybe Kevin doesn't mean "ranking" literally, because I agree with him.

I think all GLOs could stand to view each other's progress in a neutral, meaningful way. Maybe not in a strict ranking, but maybe a chart. We all know that all the smillions of NIC organizations are not true "peer" organizations, but I think it's wiser to compare organizations against each other rather than internal metrics all the time.

Or look at it this way:

Executive leadership and volunteers could make use of GOOD data.
I doubt The Daily Beast is the best source of this information. I'd probably trust greekrank.com as much as this hack of an article.

Quality sisterhood or brotherhood can't be defined by social media followers, quantity of chapters, or famous alumni.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post
I doubt The Daily Beast is the best source of this information. I'd probably trust greekrank.com as much as this hack of an article.

Quality sisterhood or brotherhood can't be defined by social media followers, quantity of chapters, or famous alumni.
I wouldn't gather such information to determine the quality of brotherhood.