GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,339
1 members and 1,338 guests
FSUZeta

Old 12-05-2003, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
Angry No Child Left Behind but ......

Here is a family situation going on right now. (The I'm a work and typing really fast to post this version)

Child member of family ( not my child ) has Sickle Cell. He has had a rough time through life but he has learned regarding school if he says he is hurting his mom or grandmother will let him stay at home and play PS2, computer, watch TV, go shopping, out to eat or whatever...so staying at home and not going to school is basically a luxury. (sp) A test tomorrow...I'll just stay at home and kick it type attitude.

Last year, everybody at his school, played on Lil Ray Ray is sick he has sickle cell and he got X,Y, and Z's on his report card and they still passed him knowing damn well he FAILED. This year he is in the 7th Grade and today the school basically called and said " Lil Ray Ray is failing....come and get him out of our school because he is wasting our time and yours and he has been giving away his books. ***Side bar** Lil Ray Ray has missed 15 days of school since the end of August.

Now Lil Ray Ray has to be enrolled in another school and probably repeat the 7th grade because he is waaaaay behind. He was behind in 6th grade so this was already expected my me but the parents were blinded of this fact because that is their Lil Ray Ray. **side bar** Lil Ray Ray is not dumb. Lil Ray Ray can perfect any PS2 game, work them codes, search them up and all that...just doesn't want to.

As a parent, would you have held him back while he was in the 6th grade or let it get to this point where the folks done through the child out of school. **side bar** Lil Ray Ray is not a bad child very quiet but just doesn't pay attention in class or turn in his homework. And part 2) Would you enroll him in a township school knowing his behind is going to be further behind in hopes the teachers will pass him anyway or put him in a special needs school.

This is the controversay folks going through and I just want to see what my GC family thinks.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
First Lil Ray Ray would have been at school if not sick. My youngest brother has sickle cell and is a Senior Physical Ed major at Grambling State University. I stated this to let you see that just because there are and will continue to be painful days (trust me I’ve witness them) a student is still capable of learning (if I’m not mistaking you stated that Ray Ray is capable of doing his work). Even though the blame cannot just be placed entirely at the parents’ feet they are to part of the problem. My mother being an educator stressed to us (when living in her house) that unless it’s excused by a medical professional that no one is allowed to miss school. If he was to sick to attend school then he would be to sick to play video games.

Personally, if I were a parent then yes I would have either held him back or sent him to summer remedial classes. For certain I would not enroll him in a township school. As an Education major ( just completing student teaching at an school where the students are well below state average) I witness first hand the damage done to students by teachers and parents who passed students to the next grade level for whatever lame excuse.

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 12-05-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1browngirl Send a message via Yahoo to 1browngirl
Well......

I'm not a parent, but my neice is in sort of the same situation. She's just entered the 9th grade and has been falling behind steadily since the 3rd grade. My mom and I have pleaded with her mother since the beginning to let her repeat/hold her back because she's just getting further behind and the work is only going to get harder. Her mother's response is "it would be so embarrassing to hold her back, what would people think?" Doesn't give a **** that the child isn't learning anything.

If it were me, I'd hold the child back. No doubt. By letting him advance further, that does no good. He needs to either be put in remedial courses or get some sort of outside tutoring. If he can play videoo games and get on the computer, he can go to school and do the work too!

Greater Service, Greater Progress since 1922
Old 12-05-2003, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have held him back in the 6th grade also (or as CountryGurl stated, sent him to summer school). I know he has Sickle Cell and everything, but unless he was sick, he would have been at school.

There are plenty of people who live well past 30 with Sickle Cell. Lord willing, Lil Ray Ray won't be a kid forever, so how does his parents/grandparents expect him to care for himself after high school?
Old 12-05-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Working at a Community College, I see many students that probably should have been left behind. . .

Many of these students come in complaining that they have to take prepatory classes ("It's a waste of my time", "I have to PAY for these and not get credit?") and then end up failing. Some are bored, others really don't even have a Blue's clue. Many of them don't have the basic fundamentals, but manage to "pass" and then get here and find out that it's not 13th grade.

I agree with CountryGirl - if he wasn't sick, then he woulda been at school. And if for some reason he wasn't at school, then he woulda been studying something and not doing the play station thing all day. Unfortunately at that age, many kids don't see the value of school. But to answer your question, I probably would have held him back. Maybe when he realizes that he's gonna be the only 22 year old in the 9th grade he'll wake up and get to crackin' them books.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: No Child Left Behind but ......

Quote:
Originally posted by #1 Leading Lady
Here is a family situation going on right now. (The I'm a work and typing really fast to post this version)

Child member of family ( not my child ) has Sickle Cell. He has had a rough time through life but he has learned regarding school if he says he is hurting his mom or grandmother will let him stay at home and play PS2, computer, watch TV, go shopping, out to eat or whatever...so staying at home and not going to school is basically a luxury. (sp) A test tomorrow...I'll just stay at home and kick it type attitude.

Last year, everybody at his school, played on Lil Ray Ray is sick he has sickle cell and he got X,Y, and Z's on his report card and they still passed him knowing damn well he FAILED. This year he is in the 7th Grade and today the school basically called and said " Lil Ray Ray is failing....come and get him out of our school because he is wasting our time and yours and he has been giving away his books. ***Side bar** Lil Ray Ray has missed 15 days of school since the end of August.

Now Lil Ray Ray has to be enrolled in another school and probably repeat the 7th grade because he is waaaaay behind. He was behind in 6th grade so this was already expected my me but the parents were blinded of this fact because that is their Lil Ray Ray. **side bar** Lil Ray Ray is not dumb. Lil Ray Ray can perfect any PS2 game, work them codes, search them up and all that...just doesn't want to.

As a parent, would you have held him back while he was in the 6th grade or let it get to this point where the folks done through the child out of school. **side bar** Lil Ray Ray is not a bad child very quiet but just doesn't pay attention in class or turn in his homework. And part 2) Would you enroll him in a township school knowing his behind is going to be further behind in hopes the teachers will pass him anyway or put him in a special needs school.

This is the controversay folks going through and I just want to see what my GC family thinks.

if that were my child, lil ray would have had his butt in school especially since sickle cell is a treatable illness. if necessary, adjustments would have been during those times when he needed to be out due to illness so that he could make up the work and stay on track as much as possible. these adjustments would have been discussed with his teacher so that all partie involved would have a stake in lil ray's academic success.

if it got to a point where he slipped past and was allowed to pass by his teachers standards on any level, mama(me) would have gotten his butt in summer school or some tutoring program because mama knows her child!

in my eyes there will be no chance for lil ray to slide through 4 grades w/o getting the proper education. but IF that happened, i would have no problem keeping lil ray back a year. mama will not except mediocrity from her child and each day little raymond will be reminded of that by me and his father!

i can't fathom cheating my child in the manner displayed in the above scenario, but i konw it exists. too many of our children are left behind!!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like this kids' mom/grandmom have failed him as much as anything else. Either through coddling his illness or looking the other way while he misbehaves, they really ought not be surprised at his poor academic performance to date.

This is a kid; I wouldn't expect him to change his behavior, be it 6th or 7th grade, until his mom/grandmom realize the damage they're doing by not insisting this kid peform, and not just use his illness as an excuse. They have to show him a better way and demand he perform.

Although you didn't say, I hope his mom/grandmom are not now up at the school in "housecoat and rollers" clowning because all of the sudden someone is trying to keep lil Ray-Ray down.

...don't know enough about "township schools" to comment.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 12-05-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
Quote:
Originally posted by CountryGurl
If he was to sick to attend school then he would be to sick to play video games.
This is my main point. You home sick from school you need to be on the couch, sipping Campbell's UM UM GOOD Chicken Noodle Soup and watching whatever I am watching or sleep. (because remember you sick.....so you are too sick to ANYTHING else except what is stated above...Nothing)

Lil Ray Ray has lied so much so it is hard to tell when he is faking....I like whateva you going to school. Mother and Grandmother have a different perpective. All Lil Ray Ray is sick lets baby him. I think they are also setting him up to be a drug user. If his eyebrow hurts they are pumping him with tylenol with codine and what have you. I stand my ground they should have held him back. Forget embarassement heck now we ALL embararrassed because Lil Ray Ray can't read his name if it was Flashing in NEON lights

Last edited by #1 Leading Lady; 12-05-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
I would have held him back in the 6th grade also (or as CountryGurl stated, sent him to summer school). I know he has Sickle Cell and everything, but unless he was sick, he would have been at school.

There are plenty of people who live well past 30 with Sickle Cell. Lord willing, Lil Ray Ray won't be a kid forever, so how does his parents/grandparents expect him to care for himself after high school?

My brother’s counselor (person that he talks to about his illness) is in his 60s and is living a full life. Children (healthy or with an illness) will try to get over if you let them and that’s exactly what Lil Ray Ray is doing.

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 12-05-2003, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't have had to hold him back, because when I was sick there was no way I would be playing games...I either recooped or did home work so that I could be at school bright and early the next day. But if I had to hold him back...with out a doubt. There is no possible that I missed 5 dayse of school from August to May, moretheless 15 from August to the first of December .

People do what works...if someone can lie and continue to get away with it, and it works for them why would they stop??? His parents need to take a stand, because it is their fault, make him go to school. My brother sometimes hates to do his homework, so my mom would take the X-Box and the PS2 for a month...that kills him...needless to say before he does anything else his homework comes first.

Last edited by desirethegreat1; 12-05-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my aunts who just turned 50 last summer, has a serious form of SCA. So, it doesn't have to be a death sentence. When she was little, my grandmother used to spoil the crap out of her. However, she rebelled, unlike ray-ray. When my grandmother wanted her to stay home, my aunt would fake NOT being sick, so she could go to school. She did miss a lot of school when she was genuinely sick. Because of that she was very behind, especially in her high school and college years.

I think holding him back would hurt him at all, he 's only going to get further and further behind if he doesn't.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?