GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,492
2 members and 1,490 guests
Titchou

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter did rerush at Bama several years ago. She did have more to offer the second time. She had made the Dean's List, gotten involved in several organizations and made lots of friends in the chapters. She ended up with her first choice. I think the key was that she brought a lot to the table for the houses.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Bamamom13, Are pledge retreats overnight? My daughter wants know if she will miss some of the WOW events if she should have a bid day retreat.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that all pledge retreats are overnight- I know that mine was. I skimmed through this year's recruitment manual earlier this summer and I believe that it says what night each sorority holds their retreat on as well.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Most if not all pledge retreats are overnight. Bamababe is right, they are posted in the recruitment guide. They usually occur right after Bid Day activities or the next day. I am not sure what the WOW events are, but your daughter will have lots of fun on her pledge retreat and will bond with her new sisters so she will not feel like she has missed anything. Also, go to Bid Day!! It is a not to be missed event on Bama's campus. Also, pre-order a Bid Day gift or gifts from the Trunk. They will be the first to get the bid lists and will put together the items you have chosen for your daughter's chapter even before your daughter opens her bid. They then deliver to all of the houses during the Bid Day Festivities. It is so crazy to see the Trunk delivery people trying to make their way through the madness on Bid Day.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamom13 View Post
Most if not all pledge retreats are overnight. Bamababe is right, they are posted in the recruitment guide. They usually occur right after Bid Day activities or the next day. I am not sure what the WOW events are, but your daughter will have lots of fun on her pledge retreat and will bond with her new sisters so she will not feel like she has missed anything. Also, go to Bid Day!! It is a not to be missed event on Bama's campus. Also, pre-order a Bid Day gift or gifts from the Trunk. They will be the first to get the bid lists and will put together the items you have chosen for your daughter's chapter even before your daughter opens her bid. They then deliver to all of the houses during the Bid Day Festivities. It is so crazy to see the Trunk delivery people trying to make their way through the madness on Bid Day.
Parents, thousands of sorority members, delivery people.

I picture the delivery man pulling up to the Kappa or whatever house, saying "delivery for Katie" and like 40 people turning around.

This sounds crazy. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

it is as crazy as it sounds. Sorority Row is on two streets that form a horseshoe with houses on both sides of most of the two streets. On one side of part of one is the stadium. The streets are lined with parents, grandparents, siblings, alum, and fraternity guys. Fraternity pledges have roses to give the girls as they run past on their way to their new house. In the middle of everything, the Trunk folks are driving like riding mowers pulling trailers holding all of the Bid Day packages. When we went for my daughter's Bid Day, we were shocked by the scene. It was lots of fun. She invited us back the next two years just to enjoy the fun.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replys everyone. Daughter revisited the bid day page of the recruitment book, and it did not mention overnights, but did mention who held retreat on bid day.

I guess I'll call the Trunk sometime during the week when I have better idea of how recruitment is progressing. If I were a frat guy, I'd get a job delivering for the Trunk. A guaranteed visit to check out all the the new sorority members
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, the guys, if they are not pledges, go from house to house just to eat. All of the houses serve food for the members, new members and their families. The guys go and take advantage of the situation.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I would recommend against placing an order with The Trunk or any other store for bid day. The year my daughter went through many of those orders didn't make it to the houses until the next day and some were lost forever! I just waited until after the bid day festivities for parents were over and while my daughter was celebrating with her new sorority sisters I walked over to the Trunk, picked up a sweatshirt, lavalier (yes they still have those!) and some other items and took them to my daughters room and laid them out on her bed. She was thrilled when she returned to find all her new "stuff"! And she was one of the first ones to get anything!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It worked very successfully for us.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:43 AM

Is the Trunk the ONLY store that sells Greek stuff around Bama?

If so, a golden business opportunity is going missing. It seems as though that area could support multiple Greek stores.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to TideMom for starting this thread :-) My cousin's daughter is going through rush at Alabama this year and I am so anxious to see where she finds her new home. Her 4 aunts and mother were in one house, while 5 cousins were in another, and yet to complicate things further my aunt, her grandmother, was a member of yet another house at Alabama. I know these 3 houses plus another house that all of her current and previous high school classmates seem to be drawn to will be pulling her in all different sorts of directions so I hope she can keep a clear head & find her new home. Good Luck to all PNM's & parents!!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

oooh, please come back and tell us where she ends up, GHCO and bamamama14.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks FSUZeta!

I will post & let you guys know where she ends up. I just love hearing how all the girls in T-town are faring during the heat & hectic days of rush week...makes me feel like I'm not quite so ancient as my Alabama days are far behind me :-)

I remember it poured rain on serious night when I went through rush & I was actually prepared with an umbrella. At each house, several girls tried to huddle & we all became fast friends, but of course there is only so much room.I hope the weather is less hot & a little more bearable for the PNM's than it typically is!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Gung Ho, I love y'all's chapter house... it always makes me feel like I'm down in New Orleans!