GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,444
1 members and 1,443 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 03-07-2001, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Yes, Phi Beta Kappa was founded at William and Mary on December 5, 1776.

ZetaAce

------------------
FinerWomanhood: Learn it, Live it, Love it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2001, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Theta Delta Chi was founded October 30, 1847. It is the eleventh oldest campus fraternity in the nation.
Union College, Schenectady, NY, is the birth place of ours. The college is the birth place of A LOT of earlier fraternities ... they have "A fraternity gate" or something. You can check it out.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Order was founded in 1865 at Washington and Lee. Not the oldest but maybe one of the oldest?
Old 03-07-2001, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on March 9, 1856. I know Sigma Chi was founded in 1855, but I'm not sure of the date (June?).
Old 03-07-2001, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Its June 28th 1855.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Oldest fraternity

I was wondering what are some of the older fraternities in the country? Is there a list of the few oldest? Feel free to list founding year of your fraternity. I come from a local frat Omicron Pi Omicron that was founded in 1903.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity, Beta Theta Pi was founded August 8th, 1839 at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Phi Beta Kappa was the first fraternity, now an honor society, to be founded. I forget what the year was but if I remember correctly they were founded in Williamsburg, Virginia. We didnt have Sigma Alpha Epsilon on my campus but I hear they're pretty old. I dont remember the exact year but Sigma Chi was founded about 10 years after ours was and Phi Delta Theta is pretty old too.

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu
Old 03-08-2001, 12:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Arrow

I think Phi Beta Kappa was founded 1776. But I could be wrong.
Old 03-08-2001, 03:11 PM

Delta Tau Delta, considered by some article I read somewhere to be the "last" of the "original" major fraternities was founded in 1858 at Bethany College, Virginia (Now West Virginia)

I don't know what criteria the above mentioned article used to define the dividing line between "original" and later fraternities.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Old 03-08-2001, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

While LXA is somewhat new, 1909, I think KS says they go back to Bolonga, It. The Miami Triad was the first major Fraternal organizations of this country that are still active. While I have been known to be wrong, there is someone out there who should know!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 03-08-2001, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Its the Union Triad and Miami Triad that are the oldest. Miami Triad consists of Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Chi, Phi Delta Theta.
Union Triad consists of Kappa Alpha, Sigma Phi and Delta Phi...i could be wrong on delta phi but i think im right.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a MU student, I'm familiar with the Miami Triad. Beta was 1839, Phi Delta in 1849, and Sigma Chi in 1855.

Delta Upsilon, the sixth oldest fraternity, was founded in 1834 at Williams College.

Our manual, The Cornerstone, has a chronological listing of general college fraternities. The first listed is Kappa Alpha Society, Nov 26 1825. Then Sigma Phi, Delta Phi, Alpha Delta Phi, Psi Upsilon, Delta Upsilon, Beta Theta Pi, Chi Psi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Phi, Delta Psi, Zeta Psi, Theta Delta Chi, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Psi, Chi Phi, Sigma Chi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Theta Chi, Delta Tau Delta in 1858, and so on...

------------------
Brian Sejas
VP-Public Relations
The Miami Chapter of Delta Upsilon
http://www.mudeltau.org
Old 03-12-2001, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by UNFSigmaChi:
Its the Union Triad and Miami Triad that are the oldest. Miami Triad consists of Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Chi, Phi Delta Theta.
Union Triad consists of Kappa Alpha, Sigma Phi and Delta Phi...i could be wrong on delta phi but i think im right.
you're right on delta phi - but it's the KA Society, not the Order usually referred to as KA nowadays - also, Kappa Sigma does date historically to 1400, but the american founding was in 1869, placing it with the other "2nd wave" fraternities around this time, later than the others.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC:
- also, Kappa Sigma does date historically to 1400, but the american founding was in 1869, placing it with the other "2nd wave" fraternities around this time, later than the others.
I have heard this story with the origin of KS in the 1400 quite a few times now - but hey, just because you carry a possibly similar name doesn't really mean that that is the founding time of the fraternity (which you don't claim). You would need continuous documents to prove the direct line of connection.... should be kind of hard.
All the European fraternities see their roots in fraternity-like structures (called "bursarii") at Bologna, Prague and Paris universities but none claims to be a direct successor of them, which would be pretty bold.

I would just like to add something here for everybody interested in general fraternity history 101
- I recieved a nice e-mail clarifying things quite a bit and to share it with you:
Kappa Sigma is, if I got that right, sort of an American revival of a secret medieval society in Bologna with the same name and more (I wasn't told what, of course).

[This message has been edited by matthewg (edited March 14, 2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Just to let you know, I am a member of Phi Delta Theta... we were founded in 1848, not 1849 as previously stated.