GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
1 members and 1,233 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

LSAT

Hahahaha
I'm thinking that the LSAT was easier that figuring all of this out!!

ZTA72
Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason the first list was required to be in alpha order came from the days of hand bid matching. It jut made it easier to find the women on the list! Anyone who has done hand bid matching can tell you by the time everyone is pretty much on their second list, it goes slowly because everyone has to go up and down that one several times to make sure whether the woman is on it or not. Most places do comupterized matching now and it really doesn't matter what order the lists are in now but most just keep on doing the old way.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

i will be hand bid matching on sunday-thank heavens , at present, there are only two chapters on campus so it does not take very long. we make a party of it, with some of us bringing bagels, donuts, juice or coffee. sort of a "thank the good Lord we survived another recruitment" party.

next year we will have a third, so i'm thinking "bigger party"!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

This is actually a good method of matching that is used for other fields as well. Every year 4th year medical students have a match to see which residency they will go to for the remainder of their training. Interviews are throughout the fall and winter. Students make a list like PNMs and programs have a numerical list of potential residents. If your program takes 10 people, than the first 10 on the list are in no particular order because they are essentially your first bid list. The remaining students are listed according to the order in which you like them. PNMs...er, students still get their hearts broken at times, but things tend to work out for the best. We even have "Match Day" where matches are revealed...it often gets televised as well. Crying moms and proud dads attend, so it's very similar to bid day at Alabama or Auburn.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the UAB medical school always has a picture in the paper of that little event...most happy but some not so happy~
Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i will be hand bid matching on sunday-thank heavens , at present, there are only two chapters on campus so it does not take very long. we make a party of it, with some of us bringing bagels, donuts, juice or coffee. sort of a "thank the good Lord we survived another recruitment" party.

next year we will have a third, so i'm thinking "bigger party"!
I always enjoyed hand bid matching -- you really get to see how well you did. When I was an advisor to my collegiate chapter, the Phi Mu advisor had been in school with me. We were friendly rivals then...and later as advisors!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I always enjoyed hand bid matching -- you really get to see how well you did. When I was an advisor to my collegiate chapter, the Phi Mu advisor had been in school with me. We were friendly rivals then...and later as advisors!
I love hand bid matching! There's nothing like the rush of saying, "Match" and finally, "Match and Done"!

Well, until Quota Plus, that is!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

which we got!! zta pledged quota(49) plus 3 for a total of 52 new zeta babies! i am glad to be done.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Way to go, FSUZeta -- hope you're taking a nice, long bubblebath right now!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile ZTAs!!

Yay for you FSUZeta and all of our new sisters!!!
Love,
ZTA72
Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I love hand bid matching! There's nothing like the rush of saying, "Match" and finally, "Match and Done"!

Well, until Quota Plus, that is!
I agree! I will be doing hand bid matching next week and it is a thrill to say "match" over and over again. With hand matching, though, you need to maintain a good poker face, because you don't want to show your excitement or disappointment throughout the process.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I do have a question about listing only one sorority...

Our panhellenic only let us list the sororities whose preference parties we attended. Since I only attended one, I was forced to suicide. Let's say quota was 25, and I was 24 on the bid list and 35 on the alpha list, it's plausible then that I didn't recieve a bid due to my placement on the alpha list and the fact that I only listed one sorority? Not looking for any sort of sugar-coated pat on the back, just trying to understand how this works!

Man, that's some complicated stuff.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Soliloquy,

You would only be on the bid list once. You are either on Bid list A which would include the top 25 girls the chapter wants in alphabetical order (the same number as quota.) Bid list B lists the remaining girls you invited to pref in order of how much you want them as sisters. If you did not match with the group, then you were not on Bid list A. They must have made quota before they reached your name on Bid list B. Listing only one group on your pref card when you only were invited to one party is not suiciding (I was in the same boat.) You did maximize your options. Does your campus not do quota additions? Any word on COB?

Angel

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

They didn't do quota additions, which was rather unfortunate because a lot of girls went without a bid. That's part of the reason I'm trying to understand bid matching. Perhaps they didn't calculate quota correctly or something, because on most campuses if you go to prefs- you will get a bid. However, I'm pretty sure we all just had bad luck as to where our names were listed and how we were matched.

Every chapter on campus is at total, so there won't be any COB events. There is a chance for winter informal, but that won't be known until sometime in November or December.

Oh and I think I remember reading someplace that cross-cutting is a myth. Would I be correct in that assumption or can it really happen?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

it is interesting(and unfortunate) that there were no quota additions.

i believe that cross cutting(mismatching) happens.

hopefully there will be some chapters who have a few slots open up in january, and i hope you are invited to their events!