GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,544
0 members and 1,544 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2000, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What's the deal?

Quoted from another thread:
"...big, popular sororities (Kappas, Tri-Delts, Thetas)..."

Neither of my schools had any of these groups that everyone talks about being so big and popular. My undergrad college had:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Zeta
Phi Mu
Zeta Tau Alpha
Alpha Gamma Delta

My grad school had:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Phi Mu
Chi Omega
Sigma Sigma Sigma

Is it because I live in the southeast?? I know that this past spring according to the NPC that Alpha Chi Omega is a Top 5 sorority, but no one seems to post much info about us (or any of these other groups for that matter)! I just wondered if its a regional breakdown or just that you all are attending much bigger schools. Just wondering!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2000, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you AXOAlum!

Alpha Chi Omega is a huge national sorority. I think the problem is that people are only thinking in terms of their own campus. They either haven't done research or don't care to look beyond their school. One must remember, what is popular in one school can have a completely different reputation across town at another school.

Don't put things in terms of how they are at your school. If you must generalize about a sorority, put in a sentence that states that this is the way it is at your school only.

I don't mean to sound rude. That's not my point. But as an Alpha Chi Omega, it has been bothering me also that people seem to only talk about certain sororities.

AXO is HUGE in the southeast and west, but not as big in the northeast. Just like Delta Phi Epsilon has dozens of chapters in the Northeast and very few in the west and Phi Sigma Sigma has dozens of chapters centrally located in the east. (just to name a few). We need to keep this in perspective.
Old 06-23-2000, 08:20 PM
CanadianGirl

Hello AXO Ladies,
I don't believe that there are any active AXO chapters in Canada anymore, so I suppose that would be one reason why I may not think of AXO as much as the groups which had a more prominent presence in Canada.

There are other sororities that don't seem to get much mention:
Theta Phi Alpha, Alpha Gams, Alpha Sigma Tau, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Tri Sigma, Kappa Delta.

I think you're right...most people probably do think most in terms of their own campus, but then again, I think it is only natural that people would tend to do so. I'm not suggest that this is "right", but just that the tendency is "natural".
Old 06-23-2000, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you CanadianGirl, you are absolutely right. I should have included other sororities in my post because I too have noticed that they never get represented. And you are right, there used to be AXO chapters in Canada, but i'm pretty sure all of them closed. I don't know why.

The Phi Sigs and D Phi E's don't get much mention either.

Thank you for your post
Old 06-24-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, it's really weird. I'm from the South, too, so I've always considered AXO one of the Big 5 (Chi-O, Tri-Delt, KKG, and Theta). AXO Alum, how did you find out that AXO is one of the "Top 5"? But, the sororities I hear of a lot (being a Southerner with Greek friends in the South, as well as being a sorority member at a liberal school in the North): AXO, Theta, Tri-Delt, Chi-O, KKG, KD, AOPi, Phi Mu, ZTA (is it referred to as ZTA or Zeta?), and ADPi.

Old 06-24-2000, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Girl - The Top 5 thing we found out from panhell because we are the only Top 5 sorority on our campus (out of Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Mu, Chi Omega, and Tri Sigma). I don't know what the other 4 are though.

The nickname is Zeta (in reference to ZTA).

Old 06-25-2000, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I as a Lambda chi Alpha, a large International Fraternity, feel we are the largest, and the best, who cares! Is bigger better. You are only as big as you are on your individual campus. That is the reason many people pledge our houses.I would rather every man goes LXA but if not I tell them to go GREEK!! I feel being a member of a Greek Org. helps round out an individual for future life.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Old 06-25-2000, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Tom -
I'm not sure I understand what your point is. My question was simply is it a regional thing about the groups posting on the board. I just wondered why AX hadn't been mentioned in any of the other posts since it is considered Top 5. I never said we're the biggest and best. Simply that the people who are posting about the "big ones" don't seem to be as prevalent here in the Southeast. I do not wish every woman to go AXO, rather to choose the best place for her - I certainly always try to promote Greek unity & harmony. So again, if you would like, please clarify your point in your previous post.
Old 06-25-2000, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with AXO Alum-

none of us are saying that AXO is the only way to go, just that it is getting a bit ridiculous when people speak only of "the big ones" which may not be as big as they think. (not that those sororities are bad, just people need to look at the big picture).

i too would like a clarification, if you don't mind. AXO Alum did not start this thread to simply complain, just to open up people's minds.

NO insult intended, but i just don't think your post was what she was getting at.
Old 06-26-2000, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, I realize this is similar to what a lot of SGRhos and ZPhiB's (not necessarily on this board, but in my experience), feel when so much attention is lavished to AKA and DST...I didn't notice it so much in the NPC because there are sooo many groups, but I did notice that more attention is placed upon Tri-Delt, Theta, Kappa, and Chi-O on this board, but it didn't bother me so much, maybe I didn't really notice. I guess it's how so much attention on the NIC side is placed upon Sigma Chi and Beta Theta Pi, but there's not much mention to Sigma Alpha Mu, Kappa Sig, or like, Kappa Alpha Order (I'm surprised more people don't discuss that group...really interesting).

Oh yeah...is bigger really better?