GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,416
1 members and 2,415 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2019, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
My D just got her pref list back. She got her two top choices back She is so excited! She has second and third round parties out of 4. She likes both very much, and can't wait to find her home.
So happy for your daughter (and you!). I hope that she and all the other PNM's have a great day and remain positive. You're almost at the finish line!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
My D just got her pref list back. She got her two top choices back She is so excited! She has second and third round parties out of 4. She likes both very much, and can't wait to find her home.
Congratulations to your daughter! Can't wait to hear where she ends up.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladybug got two houses she didn’t expect to have again. She knows next to nothing about them but she’s having me research them. I think all will be well. Meanwhile, Twizzler at Northwestern is having a blast and only loves one house. All will be well there as well, hopefully.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
Ladybug got two houses she didn’t expect to have again. She knows next to nothing about them but she’s having me research them. I think all will be well. Meanwhile, Twizzler at Northwestern is having a blast and only loves one house. All will be well there as well, hopefully.
Hopefully, your Ladybug will approach those two houses today with an open mind and see if something clicks with her at preference. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry for the girls in the chapter not involved in the behavior that landed the C&D and for the legacies who were rushing! But, I think IU Panhel has done all they can to keep this honest. I know the girls who pledged DDD 2 years ago did not see the train coming, and the timing was heartbreaking, including being out a place to live for the next semester. About IU Panhel, those girls are working very hard to keep the process fair. And, for those of you who are not connected with IU, a member of the chapter in question is an officer on the current PanHel executive board, so I'm sure there is sadness in the IU PanHel as well.

Last edited by ivyrose2; 01-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I’ve had a call from Ladybug because she “just wanted to hear my voice” but she ended up crying because no one on her floor or in her rush group has the houses that they had expected to get. Chi O has thrown everyone off and so instead of crying during preference round, girls are lining up already crying. Ladybug had a break and so I told her what I knew about her pref choices, she’s pretty upset at this point but we’re powering through.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Same here. What makes me a little upset is when they lead the girls on with love notes and crying/tearing up...makes them love it even more then to cut them...hard. But moving forward is a good lesson in resilience so hoping for the best for all our girls who have houses to go to tonight.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I’ve had a call from Ladybug because she “just wanted to hear my voice” but she ended up crying because no one on her floor or in her rush group has the houses that they had expected to get. Chi O has thrown everyone off and so instead of crying during preference round, girls are lining up already crying. Ladybug had a break and so I told her what I knew about her pref choices, she’s pretty upset at this point but we’re powering through.
How do so many women have houses they didn't expect to get? I am not sure I understand. If a PNM had 9 chapters last round and XO was one of them, they should know there is the possibility to return to any of the other 8 chapters. If a PNM only had 5 or 6 chapters last round, they should realize that any of those chapters could appear as one of their preference invitations, regardless of how she ranked them.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
How do so many women have houses they didn't expect to get? I am not sure I understand. If a PNM had 9 chapters last round and XO was one of them, they should know there is the possibility to return to any of the other 8 chapters. If a PNM only had 5 or 6 chapters last round, they should realize that any of those chapters could appear as one of their preference invitations, regardless of how she ranked them.
From what I understood, there’s disappointment in the air and blaming XO is the easiest way to go. Bug also told me that girls had expected larger national sororities but a lot of them got back the smaller national sororities that apparently “no one” wants to be a part of. I think it’s just stress and being around girls who have the houses that you want but can’t have. We’ll see how bid day ends up.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My D finished her parties and sent a text that said "I have no clue what I'm gonna do". Sounds like she continues to love both. Clearly this is good news, as she will be happy to receive a bid from either on Tuesday.

Any advice on how to break it down? She's going to call shortly and I said get a paper and pen ready and maybe do a pro and con list....
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It’s hard because at this point you still don’t know a lot about the chapters. Just have to talk it through with the pros and cons of each option. Glad she has some solid choices. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
From what I understood, there’s disappointment in the air and blaming XO is the easiest way to go. Bug also told me that girls had expected larger national sororities but a lot of them got back the smaller national sororities that apparently “no one” wants to be a part of. I think it’s just stress and being around girls who have the houses that you want but can’t have. We’ll see how bid day ends up.
I'm kind of confused by this. Where are the PNM's getting the idea that larger national houses matter more than "smaller" national houses especially when we know how strong the tier "hold" is at IU? Are they equating larger and smaller with tiers/housed vs unhoused? Just curious.

For sure the tent talk after 9 party is on overdrive especially given what is going on w/Chi O (heartbreaking) so the emotions have to be off the charts. Those poor Rho Gams too! Hang in there moms! I feel your anxiety!
Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrespearls View Post
I'm kind of confused by this. Where are the PNM's getting the idea that larger national houses matter more than "smaller" national houses especially when we know how strong the tier "hold" is at IU? Are they equating larger and smaller with tiers/housed vs unhoused? Just curious.

For sure the tent talk after 9 party is on overdrive especially given what is going on w/Chi O (heartbreaking) so the emotions have to be off the charts. Those poor Rho Gams too! Hang in there moms! I feel your anxiety!
I’ll use Ladybug’s roommate as an example.

She had Delta Gamma and Theta Phi Alpha.

Everyone is telling her to suicide DG because theta phi alpha is small and “insignificant”. Then the tiers are coming into play as well, the top sororities all seem to be the larger ones and the lower ones seem to be on the smaller side and so Bug’s rho gam group has all of their own ideas about this.

If it helps, I’m not sure about it either. Just repeating what Bug has told me.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably from that other Greek web site that ranks. A lot of bad advice over there but it’s kind of like a car crash, you know you shouldn’t but you still look.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I’ll use Ladybug’s roommate as an example.

She had Delta Gamma and Theta Phi Alpha.

Everyone is telling her to suicide DG because theta phi alpha is small and “insignificant”. Then the tiers are coming into play as well, the top sororities all seem to be the larger ones and the lower ones seem to be on the smaller side and so Bug’s rho gam group has all of their own ideas about this.

If it helps, I’m not sure about it either. Just repeating what Bug has told me.
No chapter is "insignificant." It's only that way if the members in it believe it to be so. Your Bug's roommate hopefully understands that if she intentionally single preferences, she's ineligible for quota additions. Every chapter at IU has something to offer, and once the ladies become members, they realize people across chapters are more alike than they are different. As far as "tiers" go (lord I hate even talking about such ridiculousness), if IU would stop its ridiculous almost cultish "pair" nonsense, all that would go away.