GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Elections Aftermath Frustrating Me

This post is a good reason fraternities shouldn’t have elections for officers. The idea that a brotherhood would engineer situations in which brothers would have occasion to annually engage in public critiques of the qualifications of brothers is ridiculous. But maybe that’s a topic for a different thread.

Quote:
I do own a house that the Fraternity frequently uses
Could you elaborate on your age? I ask because I don’t know a lot of 18-22 year olds who own houses. Are you a non-traditional student? I would imagine a 25 or 26 year-old would have a hard time relating to an 18 year old.

Quote:
the other guy is more popular in the Fraternity
That degrees of popularity exist at all is the sign of dysfunction in your fraternity. Now, I know that’s a little idealistic and in a large 100 man house a social order will end up developing regardless of anyone’s best intents. But, based on your description, it doesn’t sound like that’s the case with your chapter. My own house had 35-50 guys in it throughout my college career and the idea of a social hierarchy emerging is something to which I just can’t relate. Now there were guys I did not like all that much, and guys I did, but I never felt anyone was “more popular” or “less popular.”

Quote:
I continue to act as if I was in the position
With all due respect, nothing would annoy me more than if I were elected to an office in my fraternity and my defeated opponent did this.

Quote:
the thought has been rolling around in my head of closing it off to them
If that’s the point you’re at you should just consider separating from your fraternity, perhaps becoming a townee or just taking your badge and some photos for memories and wrapping up this chapter of your life. I’m not saying this judgmentally, but the reality is no one is going to appreciate you becoming the scolding parent. It sounds like your fraternity just didn’t work out for you. It happens.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 AM

Wow, Terminus was an asshole.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:36 AM

And who tf spells it "townee"?? Unless perhaps you go to Shawnee State or Sewanee.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I just Googled townie to see in what way Terminus was using it here, and I had no idea it could reference a fraternity member living outside of a house. You learn something new every day!

I also didn't know it could be used in a derogatory manner. But I suppose that's because in New England, I generally heard people refer to a townie as anyone who has lived in the same place forever. Plus, my mom graduated from East Providence High School in Rhode Island, and their mascot is a Townie!

@~/~~~~