GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,453
1 members and 2,452 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Here I Geaux!

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all you lovely people on GC I now have the answers I need

Last edited by Geauxme; 01-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxme View Post
Hi everyone!
So if you have the time, and energy to read this post it will be very much appreciated. I am born in Houston, but currently live in Europe. I will be finishing my first year of college in May. I am transferring as of the summer and hope to attend LSU I have been travelling all over the world since I was the ripe old age of six and look forward to yet another move .

ANYWAYS!!! I was thinking about rushing in the fall.. but I'm 21, going to be a sophmore(unless some of my credits are not accepted, which is why I am attending summer school), and don't really know anyone to help me with my recommendations apart from my cousin which was a Phi Mu. My mother attended LSU but did not participate in Greek Life. My question is; living overseas, what can I do about recommendations? I will be in Houston the first week of march visiting family, and was wondering if there is any way I could meet former alumnae from different sororities. Or maybe one of you is from the Houston area and would be interested in helping me out while I am there? Please send me a PM if you have any clues as to what I can do seeing as I'm not currently residing in the US of A

Have a super duper night!
I suggest contacting the Houston Alumnae Panhellenic.

http://www.houston-panhellenic.org/r...ecruitment.htm

They typically assist PNMs with obtaining recs. I'm not sure how much they can help you if you are out of the country, but it's worth contacting them to see what they can do (esp. if you are going to be in the states at some point before recruitment).

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Your cousin may know people in other groups. Enlist her assistance and any other relatives you may have who live in the US. Just because they weren't in a GLO doesn't mean they don't know women who are.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

have all your relatives or any acquaintances you have in the states ask their neighbors, members of their churches, co-workers, friends, members of organizations to which they belong, etc.

they don't have to have been a member of an lsu chapter. they just have to be a member of a sorority that is at lsu. in other words, your phi mu cousin could write a rec. to any phi mu chapter
anywhere.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I would email the Houston Alumnae Assoc and fill them in on your situation before you go home for that one week. Texas is a highly organized state with regard to recruitment. They will be helpful, but you will need to get in touch with them asap.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your responses! I will get cracking (seeing as I only have one week in march to take care of recs before I return again in May!) and contact the different organizations. I just hope they don't think I'm a giant freak for starting my prep so early. but after allit IS LSU and it ain't no walk in the park!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses! I will get cracking (seeing as I only have one week in march to take care of recs before I return again in May!) and contact the different organizations. I just hope they don't think I'm a giant freak for starting my prep so early. but after allit IS LSU and it ain't no walk in the park!
Oh believe me, they won't. I'm sure they'd rather PNMs start contacting them in Feb/March, rather than waiting until May.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi everyone!
I will be in Houston the first week of march visiting family, and was wondering if there is any way I could meet former alumnae from different sororities.
I would hope you would not want to meet former alumnae, as you'd have to go to a cemetery or hold a seance to do it!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Random, but aren't terms like "former member" and "former student" instead of "alumni/a" common in southern states?

Example: I've seen bumper stickers that say "Texas A&M Former Student Asssociation."

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Random, but aren't terms like "former member" and "former student" instead of "alumni/a" common in southern states?

Example: I've seen bumper stickers that say "Texas A&M Former Student Asssociation."
IDK, but as far as I'm concerned once you're alum you're alum for life. I couldn't resist making a crack about dead people.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

As a member of one of Texas' Alumnae Panhellenic Associations, I can tell you that March is not too early to start working on getting reccomendations at all.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooops guess you're right about that. Can't Get recs from someone six feet under! Spoke to my cousin and she didn't know many people in other more "southern" chapters. Her school had entirely different sororities. Think she knew 2-3 people she could speak to. So that still only bringe me up to about 4 of 10! Think I'm gonna have to Facebook stalk my old friends. My mom might know someone but when she attended LSU it wasn't really her type of scene so we'll see!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

KSUViolet gave you a website for the Houston Panhellenic. Use it. I know both of the reference co-chairs and the first name on the list actually went to LSU. She will walk you through the process. E-mail her and introduce yourself. In Texas, 90% of all references received come in before June 1. March and April are high season for reference writing. If this is something important to you, you need to ask relatives to start the process for you before you arrive in March. Maybe send a resume to them and ask them to ask around at church or through social connections. I know this year we had a member write a reference on a young lady, who, like you had spent much of her life abroad. She was attending Texas A&M and her mother had been Greek so she knew what needed to be done. It was difficult but she found a reference for every chapter. She had a great recruitment. Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

So I just sent and e-mail to Houston Panhellenic.. but it's only 7 AM i Houston so I'll be waiting all day for a reply.. By the way.. would you know if I should mention if any immediate family members are/were important political figures in a particular country?

Oh and my grades are not in the regular A-D scale that y'all have, so that does worry me when it comes to recs. I spoke to a student advisor and they said that as a transfer student I will get credits but I will not get grades until I have completed the summer semester, meaning that whatever I get during my summer semester, that's my GPA.

Justinterested: Do you happen to know if she sent her grades to the people she was seeking a rec from?( IF they were different from US gradescale)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Email the contact person to introduce yourself and explain your situation, and ask her for help. Attach your resume to the email. Be polite.
Once she has responded, you can ask your gpa question. Usually, transcripts are attached to rec forms that come from Texas Alumnae Assoc.

Again, they are HIGHLY organized and will know what to do. Contact them before it is too late.