GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,438
1 members and 1,437 guests
Kevin

Old 08-24-2015, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
ODU Students hang "Freshman Daughter Drop Off" From Balcony

http://jezebel.com/frat-boys-designa...f-h-1725917533

I think this is tasteless, but not nearly as bad as some of the other stuff in recent memory.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Tacky and in poor taste, yes. But also completely unoriginal. I've seen these photos for years on other sites.

Though given current events with Greek life and sexual assault on campus this was an incredibly stupid idea.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

To quote my second grade self: boys are dumb.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Now, if every sorority on campus refused all functions with them this year, the young women would be making a real statement.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The reporters seem to be working overtime to try to pin the blame on fraternity members.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I really think it was just a joke- sure it was in bad taste but 19-20 year old guys are not known for a high level of maturity.

When I moved into the freshman dorm (20 years ago- yikes!)- one of the fraternities would give "hot" girls lei's with a note attached to wear the lei to get into a luau at their house the next night.
Supposedly this meant those girls would be recruited by the top sororities and actives would say, "Of course we want Freshman Suzy, she got lei'd by XYZ fraternity her first day on campus!"
Pretty sure that wouldn't fly now.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
The reporters seem to be working overtime to try to pin the blame on fraternity members.
I'm confused by the article...it shows the whole chapter posing in front of the house, but doesn't identify it as the chapter house.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Tacky and in poor taste, yes. But also completely unoriginal. I've seen these photos for years on other sites.

Though given current events with Greek life and sexual assault on campus this was an incredibly stupid idea.
I agree that it was a stupid idea. Maybe such things aren't on my radar, but this is literally the first time I've noticed signs/banners like this before.

Sexist. But at least they're not ageist!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm confused by the article...it shows the whole chapter posing in front of the house, but doesn't identify it as the chapter house.
Now there are reports that Sigma Nu has suspended the chapter as of this afternoon, pending an investigation. It sounds like the house is privately owned, not the/a chapter house. The earlier article made it sound like the residents are a mixed group of brothers and others, and others hung the banners.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

August 24, 2015
Statement from Brad Beacham
Sigma Nu Fraternity Executive Director

“Sigma Nu Fraternity has suspended the activities of the Eta Chi Chapter at Old Dominion University pending completion of an investigation into offensive banners displayed from an offcampus, privately-owned property near the ODU campus last week. The Fraternity condemns the derogatory and demeaning language used on the banners. Such language has no place in our Fraternity or within any caring community, such as that of ODU. Any Fraternity member found to be responsible for this reprehensible display will be held accountable by the Fraternity.

Initial reports regarding the banners indicated that no Fraternity member had involvement with the banners. However, additional information received by the Fraternity today indicates that some chapter members may have had involvement with the banners. Upon completion of its investigation, the Fraternity will take action in accordance with its principles and code of conduct.

The Fraternity will remain in close communication with ODU administrators throughout its investigation and review.”

Headquartered in Lexington, Va., Sigma Nu Fraternity was founded in 1869 at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington. The Fraternity currently has 163 active chapters and colonies and has initiated more than 235,000 members since its founding.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

The Atlantic had a great take on the situation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...minion/402226/

Quote:
Where do I come down? It’s lamentable that some women arrived on their college campus only to be greeted by signs treating them as sexual objects. These immature 19-year-olds displayed bad judgment, but so do the adults who are reacting as if they were stockpiling GHB. Pop culture is filled with material far more vulgar and offensive, including content that actually does transgress against the value placed on consent.

Debates like this are polarizing because a false choice is often presented: defend the transgression that is generating outrage or join in condemning the perpetrators. But there is a third way. It requires circumspection and a sense of proportion.
I certainly understand that.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The Atlantic had a great take on the situation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...minion/402226/

I certainly understand that.
Mark this date, because I agree with Kevin.

I think a lot of you know from other threads that I am a very outspoken advocate against rape culture, both on GC and IRL, but this incident just doesn't get me that riled up. I think it's because wanting to meet/check out the new freshmen women is such a normal, harmless thing. Who among us, when single, hasn't walked into a party and looked around to see who of our preferred gender might be there alone?

Jumping from "men want to meet the new women on campus" to "men only think of the new women on campus as objects to fulfill their sexual needs" is exactly the the type of mars/venus-divide thinking that actually reinforces rape culture.

The signs were pretty tacky, and not very funny, but if anything, I think they just kinda make the guys look like desperate losers more than predators.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Lighten up!

Lord have Mercy we have lost our collective sense of humor. The signs were tasteless at best but hardly offensive.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been surprised by the coverage and response to this. It seems like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Now Sigma Pi at MTSU is suspended for also hanging a controversial banner on their house.
http://wkrn.com/2015/08/25/mtsu-frat...er-from-house/