GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,893
0 members and 1,893 guests
No Members online

Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Chat Book Club - July Book

Okay, let's make a new thread for the new book.

Any suggestions? I'd like to suggest On the Road or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

edit: Be sure to add a description of the book you're nominating. I'm guilty, so I'll add my descriptions here:

1. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: Shots rang out in Savannah's grandest mansion in the misty,early morning hours of May 2, 1981. Was it murder or self-defense? For nearly a decade, the shooting and its aftermath reverberated throughout this hauntingly beautiful city of moss-hung oaks and shaded squares. John Berendt's sharply observed, suspenseful, and witty narrative reads like a thoroughly engrossing novel, and yet it is a work of nonfiction. Berendt skillfully interweaves a hugely entertaining first-person account of life in this isolated remnant of the Old South with the unpredictable twists and turns of a landmark murder case.

It is a spellbinding story peopled by a gallery of remarkable characters: the well-bred society ladies of the Married Woman's Card Club; the turbulent young redneck gigolo; the hapless recluse who owns a bottle of poison so powerful it could kill every man, woman, and child in Savannah; the aging and profane Southern belle who is the "soul of pampered self-absorption"; the uproariously funny black drag queen; the acerbic and arrogant antiques dealer; the sweet-talking, piano-playing con artist; young blacks dancing the minuet at the black debutante ball; and Minerva, the voodoo priestess who works her magic in the graveyard at midnight. These and other Savannahians act as a Greek chorus, with Berendt revealing the alliances, hostilities, and intrigues that thrive in a town where everyone knows everyone else.

2. On the Road: On the Road chronicles Jack Kerouac's years traveling the North American continent with his friend Neal Cassady, "a sideburned hero of the snowy West." As "Sal Paradise" and "Dean Moriarty," the two roam the country in a quest for self-knowledge and experience. Kerouac's love of America, his compassion for humanity, and his sense of language as jazz combine to make On the Road an inspirational work of lasting importance.

Let's try to finish up suggestions this weekend and we'll take a vote...Sunday and Monday of next week. Sound good?

Last edited by WCUgirl; 07-07-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I highly recommend Midnight in the Garden...
It's one of my favorite books and I think I have bought it 3 times because I keep giving it to someone to read and never getting it back!!
BTW, the book is MUCH better than the movie (sorry, Kevin Spacey and John Cusak)
Old 07-07-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I know I am probably behind the times, but I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and really enjoyed. My dad also read Digital Fortress. He liked that one and I thought about reading it.

I picked up The Rule of Four at the bookstore because I thought someone had read it here and recommended it. It's supposed to be a smarter Da Vinci Code.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
I know I am probably behind the times, but I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and really enjoyed. My dad also read Digital Fortress. He liked that one and I thought about reading it.

I picked up The Rule of Four at the bookstore because I thought someone had read it here and recommended it. It's supposed to be a smarter Da Vinci Code.
I've read all 4 of Dan Brown's books. I enjoyed them all immensely.

I wouldn't mind reading The Rule of Four though.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledged is due back to the library on 7/12 so I'm definitely in for this next round of the book club. I think both - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and On the Road - sound interesting.
I'll see if I can come up with any others to nominate in the next day or two.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I suggest Jemima J by Jane Green. It's sort of a Bridget Jones style "overweight girl hopelessly pursuing love" book. Brief synopsis: Her life seems to be stagnating because she's 100 lbs overweight. She "fancies" a co-worker, but he's not really interested in her like that. She discovers the Internet and meets some guy in California. She vows to lose all her excess weight when he wants to meet her. So far it's a great book!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll second the nomination for "On the Road." (surprise, surprise... )
Old 07-09-2004, 10:13 PM

I'll go for On the Road. I tried reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but could never really get into it.

I'm reading Digital Fortress now; I've already read Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I'll be up for any of those to go.

I didn't like last month's book, so I really want to participate in this months
Old 07-10-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
I suggest Jemima J by Jane Green. It's sort of a Bridget Jones style "overweight girl hopelessly pursuing love" book. Brief synopsis: Her life seems to be stagnating because she's 100 lbs overweight. She "fancies" a co-worker, but he's not really interested in her like that. She discovers the Internet and meets some guy in California. She vows to lose all her excess weight when he wants to meet her. So far it's a great book!
I absolutely loved Jemima J! It's just good, plain entertainment.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:28 PM

I'm in. Just let me know what the consensus is.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Please just pick a book that is easy to find. My book shop was out of the last GC book and could not get it in time for the club....
Thanks.
Silver
Old 07-12-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Are we starting voting today?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I'll try and read whatever book you vote for.
I don't really want to vote, because last time I voted for Illium and I just couldn't get into it. I'm afraid if I vote I'll make the wrong choice
Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Since the description I posted has been added to the list I'll vote here.

On the Road is my choice.

Last edited by KellyB369; 07-12-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Any more votes?