GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,527
1 members and 1,526 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
My church started a health care ministry about 2 years ago. We are just now beginning to expand into mental health.

I am an informed consumer. I read about the medicine, its generic form (I *heart wal mart for its $4 prescriptions), typical dosage, possible side effects, when to stop taking it, etc.
I don't mind the Health Ministries, because everyone should have access to qualified accurate healthcare. My problem is the churches in my area are not reaching out to those who need it the most because the people are deemed "undesirable"--i.e. homeless, drug abusers, sexual (whatevers), etc. Now, while some folks need prayer, they also need quality healthcare both physical and mental. But since both take time to heal and only Jesus Christ is known to heal in miracles, the poor people just cannot rationalize the time time it takes... If anything, we in the healing business should understand "time", but patient is a different matter...

How does your church deal with it? Do you all have revolving doors? Just asking?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
We've just now started being more active in our immediate community. We TRY to get our members to take their own health seriously and to get members to share their health stories (prostate cancer, breast cancer, diabetes, HBP, etc). I cant say that we actively seek out "undesirables" but I am certain that we wouldn't not help someone because they chose not to be active in our church.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
We've just now started being more active in our immediate community. We TRY to get our members to take their own health seriously and to get members to share their health stories (prostate cancer, breast cancer, diabetes, HBP, etc). I cant say that we actively seek out "undesirables" but I am certain that we wouldn't not help someone because they chose not to be active in our church.
PM me, I have a way that works very effectively in my city... And I am about to write it up for Public Health Community Health study... I actually am collaborating with a few MPH's as well as healthcare professionals.

I don't know if "undesirable" is the correct word, but, I mean, how do you all deal with the fact about HIV and you know someone is in a "discordant relationship" (that's what the official language is)?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

what we do....

our doors are open to EVERYONE. in my new member class, the majority of the members said that they attend my church for at least a year or more prior to joining. they were involved in ministries and other activities. what i notice is the norm for the celebrate recovery program is that everyone gets a listing of other CR programs in the area. so, on days that you need additional support or if your church isnt having CR that night, you have other options. from my best guess, half of the people who attend CR at my church are not members.

we have also rented out an apartment in one of the complexes across the street from us and that is where we have our clothes closet.

personally, most health ministries dont do enough. they usually do the little seminar here or there or are run byt some older members who can only do so much. maybe an occassional fundraising activity or do some sort of awareness campaign.

i agree with you, the bottom line is that more needs to be done especially for those who are lacking in affordable care and access to resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I don't mind the Health Ministries, because everyone should have access to qualified accurate healthcare. My problem is the churches in my area are not reaching out to those who need it the most because the people are deemed "undesirable"--i.e. homeless, drug abusers, sexual (whatevers), etc. Now, while some folks need prayer, they also need quality healthcare both physical and mental. But since both take time to heal and only Jesus Christ is known to heal in miracles, the poor people just cannot rationalize the time time it takes... If anything, we in the healing business should understand "time", but patient is a different matter...

How does your church deal with it? Do you all have revolving doors? Just asking?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling1 View Post
personally, most health ministries dont do enough. they usually do the little seminar here or there or are run byt some older members who can only do so much. maybe an occassional fundraising activity or do some sort of awareness campaign.

i agree with you, the bottom line is that more needs to be done especially for those who are lacking in affordable care and access to resources.
Well, with what I have observed in my last 3 years of running a Health Forum is that folks do not talk to each other. They fail to communicate. I think it has something to do with "Health Literacy". The physician or healthcare provider spouts off what the problem could be, the patient thinks they understand, but they do not, and is sent home, and the problem gets worse... One my sorors that has type 2 on insulin is dealing with that... The issue is lack of aggressiveness when the patient complains... You don't want to be surpass the patient's rights, nor do you want to do expensive tests that wind up as nothing, at the same time, you don't want to see gross pathological lesions because that means it is almost too late to treat...

Many patients get ER treatment for medical treatment, they are not seeing their primary care providers on a consistent basis.

The same is true with mental health care. Through ALL my experience, I cannot WAIT till I feel like "jumping of a bridge" to think now I need help... When the first inkling of "losing my mind" occurs or when the "bad tapes" play in my head, I am making phone calls... Even if it is a false feeling--I would rather see someone, professional, than to have it get to that point on the I-5 freeway... Because, by that time, the police are involved and they stick into psych ward for a 24-48 hour eval, with people that actually DO bash their bloodied heads against the wall...

So, I think from what I've read, were churches can really be involved is to lay the groundwork for Spiritual renewal, buttressing up that foundation, with the groups and the trained professionals--i.e. ministers have to have some level of mental health care training for their divinity degrees--I think it is like 400 hours...

Old 02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am reading this thread for the first time and a lot of what I am reading is shaking me up....especially a lot of Soror Ideal08's commentary about 'isolating'. I was diagnosed in '99 with severe clinical depression and acute panic disorder that became finally evident (after having several episodes of crying all the way to work and back home in my car, but putting on the lovely mask at work and at home for all to enjoy) when I woke up one morning and couldn't -physically couldn't- get dressed for work. I was off work for a year after that...meds and therapy and total, black hole, blinds-drawn, self-imposed isolation. ....couldn't (not wouldn't, contrary to popular belief!) answer the phone, couldn't answer the door, couldn't open mail, stopped seeing everybody, stopped going to church where I was a music leader, etc. Noone understood and I couldn't explain, so I was deemed as 'trippin', 'needing to pray more', 'selfish (??!!)', and 'needing to snap out of it'.

I moved out of state for several years about 2 years after the diagnosis to a place where I had no friends or family, just career ... brilliant career, but just career. (I am just now 'getting' that I was probably doing the supreme isolation act with that move) I have sinced returned 'home' after being gone 7 years (number of completion ) -- healthy, happy-ish, and eager to re-enter my life that's been on-hold lo' these past 7 years.... bought my house, cautiously re-connecting with friends/family, but feeling the need to isolate again a lot. Now that I'm back in the mix, so to speak, I am a bit overwhelmed with everyone's needs and expectations of me....which are probably 'normal', like to answer the phone, pick up my messages, call them back, come over, come over, come over and which should make me feel blessed that folk still wanna be bothered with me .... but it feels like so much I can't stand it.

One thing I have determined is that I am keeping it real henceforth. The mask is gone forever and I am living authentically, despite people's judgments, and hopefully they will understand..... like when my mom (who knows / didn't quite accept my earlier diagnosis, tho' she has a long history of depression -- undiagnosed, though) asked why I disappeared for three days recently and wouldn't call her back or answer my phone, I said 'I just couldn't bear to .... it was too much' ... she said 'you can't just pick up the phone .... was that too hard?...to which I answered 'Yes.' It was hard to be that straight, 'cuz I don't do *vulnerable*, but it sure felt good telling it like it was. For 2008, I'm keeping it real and KIM.

Sorry for my stream-of-consciousness rant, but this strikes a chord with me, especially now that I'm in a tricky transitional stage right now of re-connecting....and Lord knows, we strong black women don't discuss this kinda stuff much . I appreciate this forum.

Much love and peace to all --
"this is a Serious matter!"
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
(((PrettyInPink777)))

Just keep talking, ladies. We ARENT alone and we DO need to talk about this stuff, to each other and to professionals.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
This is a wonderful thread. ((((((((((((ladies in thread))))))))))))). Will post later. lol

It's a jungle out there.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyInPink777 View Post
Now that I'm back in the mix, so to speak, I am a bit overwhelmed with everyone's needs and expectations of me....which are probably 'normal', like to answer the phone, pick up my messages, call them back, come over, come over, come over and which should make me feel blessed that folk still wanna be bothered with me .... but it feels like so much I can't stand it.

Sorry for my stream-of-consciousness rant, but this strikes a chord with me, especially now that I'm in a tricky transitional stage right now of re-connecting....
I have so much to say, but I have to (1) take a nap and (2) get my thoughts together. But, Soror, we are >HERE<, believe me!!!! It's nice to hear from another 'isolator' b/c it is truly something folks don't (or can't?) understand.

(((((Soror PrettyInPink777)))))

BBL...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW....just wow to this thread...I'm on here like everyday so I don't know how I missed this......first I commend everyone here for their strength in sharing...you all have probably helped someone who hasn't gained the courage to share their stories yet...I've mentioned before that I work in mental health as a BAQP, MHQP, DDQP, and a whole bunch of other alphabet that all basically mean mental health case manager...I came into this field by accident but I fell in love with it because I realized how many people really have issues stemming from mental health...it was supposed to be just a filler job until I ready for medical school but now I have changed my entire career path in order to continue to serve in this field...BUT thats not the story...after a while of trying to figure out why I was so drawn to helping my consumers I realized that I saw myself in many of them...since I was a teenager I would go through bouts of defiance and anger....getting into trouble, fighting in school....then I would just want to be left alone and not deal with people for days at a time....I had been called mean, moody, and just bad for so long that I didn't know that there was a REAL reason for my behavior...although my diagnosis isn't severe, I found comfort in being able to place a name on something that had plagued me for years, and that had caused me to make many mistakes and bad decisions in the past...so now I'm focusing my studies on comprehensive mental health, my agency/practice will serve the total need of the consumer... physical and mental health....I want to focus on the African-American community and raise the awareness of the existence and frequency of mental heath disorders within it......

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...

Last edited by OOhsoflyDELTA#9; 02-20-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

((((((((((((((((sorors))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((sistagreeks))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((GC others!)))))))))))))))))

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you all think that many AA women aren't diagnosed for depression because we are so used to doing it all anyway? Do you think we go to God, or other spiritual methods instead of seeing a physician?

BTW: I think I have suffered from depression for years but because of the fact that I have to keep it together for my family, it has manifested to other symptoms; ie. fatigue, weight gain, headaches...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you so much for sharing your story...

((((((((((((((((((((((((prettyinpink)))))))))))))) )))))))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyInPink777 View Post
I am reading this thread for the first time and a lot of what I am reading is shaking me up....especially a lot of Soror Ideal08's commentary about 'isolating'. I was diagnosed in '99 with severe clinical depression and acute panic disorder that became finally evident (after having several episodes of crying all the way to work and back home in my car, but putting on the lovely mask at work and at home for all to enjoy) when I woke up one morning and couldn't -physically couldn't- get dressed for work. I was off work for a year after that...meds and therapy and total, black hole, blinds-drawn, self-imposed isolation. ....couldn't (not wouldn't, contrary to popular belief!) answer the phone, couldn't answer the door, couldn't open mail, stopped seeing everybody, stopped going to church where I was a music leader, etc. Noone understood and I couldn't explain, so I was deemed as 'trippin', 'needing to pray more', 'selfish (??!!)', and 'needing to snap out of it'.

I moved out of state for several years about 2 years after the diagnosis to a place where I had no friends or family, just career ... brilliant career, but just career. (I am just now 'getting' that I was probably doing the supreme isolation act with that move) I have sinced returned 'home' after being gone 7 years (number of completion ) -- healthy, happy-ish, and eager to re-enter my life that's been on-hold lo' these past 7 years.... bought my house, cautiously re-connecting with friends/family, but feeling the need to isolate again a lot. Now that I'm back in the mix, so to speak, I am a bit overwhelmed with everyone's needs and expectations of me....which are probably 'normal', like to answer the phone, pick up my messages, call them back, come over, come over, come over and which should make me feel blessed that folk still wanna be bothered with me .... but it feels like so much I can't stand it.

One thing I have determined is that I am keeping it real henceforth. The mask is gone forever and I am living authentically, despite people's judgments, and hopefully they will understand..... like when my mom (who knows / didn't quite accept my earlier diagnosis, tho' she has a long history of depression -- undiagnosed, though) asked why I disappeared for three days recently and wouldn't call her back or answer my phone, I said 'I just couldn't bear to .... it was too much' ... she said 'you can't just pick up the phone .... was that too hard?...to which I answered 'Yes.' It was hard to be that straight, 'cuz I don't do *vulnerable*, but it sure felt good telling it like it was. For 2008, I'm keeping it real and KIM.

Sorry for my stream-of-consciousness rant, but this strikes a chord with me, especially now that I'm in a tricky transitional stage right now of re-connecting....and Lord knows, we strong black women don't discuss this kinda stuff much . I appreciate this forum.

Much love and peace to all --
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal08 View Post
I suffer from Clinical Depression, too. I have since the mid-1990's. I was recently diagnosed with Agoraphobia (w/o panic attacks; I've only had one). Afterwards, I realized that what I thought was "normal" wasn't. I didn't know everyone didn't get nervous for no reason. I didn't know everyone didn't have an escape plan no matter where they were. I still think this should be removed from the list of symptoms as to me it's necessary to know how to get out of somewhere should something happen; it's a safety issue. Just like not going into places that only have one entrance/exit. To me that's a safety issue and if something happens (fire, gunshot, etc) getting out would be *sigh* I get nervous just thinking about it. So some stuff I never mentioned to anyone cuz I thought it was as normal as getting chill bumps.
I am not always homebound, but I do isolate often. I have lost friends due to this because people don't understand that some things are beyond my control. Which is annoying in itself because I'm a control-freak.

We definitely don't talk about everything. I can't say that I'm willing to make myself completely vulnerable in that way because of my relationships that have been damaged in the past. So sometimes I just pretend that none of that mental health stuff exists, pray that the Almighty gives me strength and courage, I put on my mask, and I KIM. When I'm unable to even wear the mask (read: I'm not up to it cuz it's exhausting playing the "I'm Ok" game), I isolate. I think it totally scares my manfriend, so when he thinks I'm isolating, he will make sure to take me out somewhere. I'll go out with him because I feel "safe" with him.

It's hard because a lot of people who think they know me, really only know the mask. So when they learn of my "issues," they don't believe it (cuz I'd really make it up ) because they've been fooled by my performances over the years. And I am a MASTER at the mask. Which is also on the list of descriptions of agoraphobics. I read books on the subject and it made me feel better to hear other people's experiences and healing. It's nice to know you're not alone in dealing with stuff. And it helps to finally understand the why behind your actions.

It's SO nice to be able to talk to someone who understands, though. I "talk" to a soror who totally understands and I am SO glad to have "met" her. Sorors truly are priceless. Because my blood sisters know about the depression, but they only know the surface. They worry too much to know the whole story.

I'm going to change the name of this thread...
I dont know if this information is useful or relevant to you but it may help someone. About 3 years ago i was dianose with depression. I would cry for no reason and couldnt stop. My doctor prescribed paxcil. I was on it for about 6 months total. And when I saw no difference, she increased the dosage. Still no change, increased the dosage. Still no change so she referred me to some other doctor who prescribed different medicine in addition to the one she was giving me. What wound up happening was where I would have crying spells and had difficulty getting out of bed that grew to full blown anxiety attacks until i passed out along with general anxiety. One of the side effects of the medicine was increased anxiety. the side effect of the medicine was much much much worse than my initial problem.

I implore people to do research and trust their 'first mind' persuing medical remedies.

This thread has been quite painful to read but i am determined to finish it. Still not ready...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
Do you all think that many AA women aren't diagnosed for depression because we are so used to doing it all anyway? Do you think we go to God, or other spiritual methods instead of seeing a physician?

BTW: I think I have suffered from depression for years but because of the fact that I have to keep it together for my family, it has manifested to other symptoms; ie. fatigue, weight gain, headaches...
Depression as a mental illness correlates with risk of type 2 diabetes. Since numerous AA generally suffer from type 2 when they get older, it does not seem inconceivable to me from my point of view.

The way mental health is treated is separate from environmental conditions vs. physical ones. Environment or nuture may play a HUGE role on mental health outcomes. But that does not necessarily translate into the acute physical outcomes, such as commiting a violent act, never leaving the house, isolating, crying spells for days in and out...

If left untreated, depression can and will cause secondary symptoms, like fatigue, weight gain and headaches...

Somewhere on GC, I posted the actual medical differentials of depression from MD Consult... Depression biologically is dysregulation of serotonin and norepinephrine release and reuptake in most cases.

Closed Thread