GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,985
0 members and 1,985 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I DEFINITELY agree with the no yellow gold statement! I have dark brown hair, nearly black eyes, and pale, pale skin with pink undertones and I just dont look RIGHT in yellow gold. I got a white gold bracelet from my parents for my last birthday and it is BEAUTIFUL.

My dream engagement ring is a classic emerald cut diamond, about one carat, set in platinum, but white gold works too. Of course I have to find the One before I can get the ring, and I dont want to get married until I am at least a few years out of college.

Oh, I have ONE exception to the yellow gold rule - the beautiful garnet heirloom ring I inherit when I graduate college. It is set in yellow gold (but that looks OK with garnets) - the garnet is almost 3 carats, emerald cut, with pave diamonds on either side - its from the 1920s I believe, and very antique-looking - and I already have earrings to match.
GreekChat Member

Smile

I DEFINITELY agree with the no yellow gold statement! I have dark brown hair, nearly black eyes, and pale, pale skin with pink undertones and I just dont look RIGHT in yellow gold. I got a white gold bracelet from my parents for my last birthday and it is BEAUTIFUL.

My dream engagement ring is a classic emerald cut diamond, about one carat, set in platinum, but white gold works too. Of course I have to find the One before I can get the ring, and I dont want to get married until I am at least a few years out of college.

Oh, I have ONE exception to the yellow gold rule - the beautiful garnet heirloom ring I inherit when I graduate college. It is set in yellow gold (but that looks OK with garnets) - the garnet is almost 3 carats, emerald cut, with pave diamonds on either side - its from the 1920s I believe, and very antique-looking - and I already have earrings to match.
GreekChat Member

Smile

Old 08-15-2001, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I am a Professional Jewelry Salesperson...and have worked in my store for 2 years now.
Believe me, it's hard to stand around and not try on every ring. And my have my tastes changed since I started working there.

I origionally wanted the Sabrina Collection from Hearts on Fire. Then I decided I wanted a bridal with a 1/2 carat round and horizontal baguettes with a few rounds...I'm picky about symmetry.
Then I started to try on white gold...and now, even though all my rings are yellow, I want white gold. I don't want platinum because it gets too worn looking.
There is a ring I'm going to try and copy and paste on here to show you what I like. Otherwise...I would take about anything as long as it isn't a marquise or trillion shape and over 1/2 carat.
Hootie

PS. Ladies. If you have ANY questions about diamonds...like for real. Let me know and I'll tell you what is what. My best friend and I went shopping for her engagement ring and even though she's going to buy from me, it was still good to see what was out there.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's one of them from Love Story's Legendary Love Collection

And another one in Emerald Cut that's pretty sharp looking...

And another favorite shape of mine - The Pear Cut...

[This message has been edited by Hootie (edited August 15, 2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

While I agree with our first male responder...I also have to say that most of us dream of larger diamonds because we know we probably won't be getting one. To us, a large diamond is like the cream of the crop in cars...whatever that is to a guy.
So although we may sound demanding, I think I can speak for most; we'll just be happy to hear those words...will you marry me.
Yeah. LOL.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:07 PM

I can honestly say that I would have accepted my husband's marriage proposal if he hadn't been able to give me a ring at all. I realize that I am fortunate that I pretty much had my pick of an engagement ring and was thus able to choose the ring I had always dreamed about, but believe me when I say that the ring was just the icing on the cake. I got a wonderful man and THAT is what really counts

------------------
@~Tracy~@

"...For it's just the flame of a sister's love, that makes the world go round."

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE DZ COLLEGIANS DURING RUSH!!!
Old 08-16-2001, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The ring that I want has a platinum band, princess cut center stone, and heart shaped sidestones (diamond of course!!). I designed it at www.adiamondisforever.com and even e-mailed it to my boyfriend. I think he got the hint, although it'll be a little while before I start looking for it !!
Old 08-16-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose:
My engagement ring is very plain; it's a 1.5 carat round diamond set in Tiffany's 6-prong platinum setting.
That is EXACTLY the engagment right that I want(but it HAS to be from Tiffany's..hehe..)..Now I Just need to find the guy to buy it for me!

Old 08-17-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

It was pretty enjoyable reading everyone's posts about rings, and I may be the only guy to respond to this. I got engaged on Christmas Eve this past year while we opened our Christmas presents. We were supposed to go to a Packer game that day by 8:00 a.m., but that was delayed, obviously, and we didn't get into Lambeau Field until the start of the 2nd quarter, but it was worth it!

Anyway, it seems as though most of the women on this forum 'need' or 'expect' a diamond that is 1 carat or larger. I can tell you, that the ring I bought my fiance (Alpha Xi Delta) is a solitaire, marquise cut near flawless diamond, set on a platinum band.

I could have gotten here 1.5 carat diamond, but it would have probably been yellow, cracked, or cut bad, but I decided to buy a smaller (.66 carat) near flawless diamond. Very small intrusions, clear color (not yellow, no carbon spots) perfect dimensional cuts...etc.

So, keep in mind for HIS sake, "Its not the size that counts", because a 1.5 carat ring can look really shitty on your hand....unless he has about $7,000 to spend (Not including the band). Can you tell I did my homework for 8 months??

ZZ-kai-
Beta Theta Pi
Old 08-17-2001, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose:
believe me when I say that the ring was just the icing on the cake. I got a wonderful man and THAT is what really counts
Tracy, I could not have said it better myself. You hit the most important point right on the head!
Old 08-17-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Now I dont feel so bad about visiting adiamondisforever.com!! It was always a guilty little please of mine. Im with the line of believers that "less is more" and I really dont want anything gaudy. Class is always in trend. I (among many) only have one demand... no yellow gold!! Give me platinum and white gold _any_ day!!
Take care, ya'll!

------------------
~*Theta Gal*~
Old 08-17-2001, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
Well, my honey and I are on a temporary seperation, but we already "have" my ring(he has it, I don't yet!!)

4 princess cut diamands put together to make one big princess cut with baugetts on both sides, but....
he decided it wasnt "Perfect" enough(what a sweetie) and had it modified which I havent seen yet, but I was told an Opal-our birthstone, was added as well as another diamand.
OH MY, I cant WAIT to see it!!!!!!!

AOPIHottie
Old 08-26-2001, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Mine is one carat in a platinum setting and I just got it TODAY!!!!!
Old 08-26-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Does the size of a stone really matter to a girl. In terms of how she feels about her man?

Kevin