GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 936
0 members and 936 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Things may be a lot different now, but I joined after having gotten my AA. Also, ask some of your old high school teachers, female professors from your CC for recs. As others have said, you may know many Greek women but didn't realize it.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out!!
Old 04-17-2019, 02:10 PM

It’ll be a competitive rush. Many of the top rushing chapters at UCF only take juniors if there is an extenuating circumstance - the PNM is friends with girls in the chapter, has a great GPA, etc. Even with those attributes, cuts are still harsh for juniors since UCF doesn’t have an upperclassman quota. Go in with an open mind.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 04-18-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority will consider a little bit lower grade for college since...it's college-level courses. And UCF strikes me as a shade more like an urban university, with a slightly more non-traditional student body (older average student, more likely to be working full time).
All that means is there's a chance of a chance!
So...this chance won't come around again. What have you got to lose?
Get your recs and go for it!!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

ZTAngel is an alumni of UCF. She knows that campus, which has over 68,000 students.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

If this is something you really want - then go for it.

As others have said, it's important to know your opportunities will be limited; that said, I've known girls at competitive schools receive bids as upperclassman. They were realistic, stayed upbeat, prepared (recs, etc.), open to every house, didn't listen to "tent talk" where houses get put down, and they stuck with it if they had only a few houses left as rush went on. They knew how to have good conversations and dressed neatly. When you have a big challenge, every little bit counts even more.

Going for something you desire while being realistic is a terrific predictor of how to navigate life because I promise you, this won't be the first thing you're interested in that might present great challenges to achieve.

And if by some chance it doesn't work out, then you will have experienced new things and learned more about yourself than if you had not pursued it. I hope you rush and come back and update here. I'm rooting for you.

Last edited by NYCMS; 04-18-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
ZTAngel is an alumni of UCF. She knows that campus, which has over 68,000 students.
Yes. UCF is far from an urban university with non-traditional students. Maybe 20 years ago, but the school has completely changed. Most students - particularly those who go through recruitment - are fresh out of high school and typically do not work full time.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m a current student at UCF and a sister of a chapter there. Juniors have a tougher time going through recruitment. My Big Sis happened to have been a junior and had an okay time but she’s told me it wasn’t easy and she didn’t get invited back to a fair amount of chapters.Sophomores and Freshman definitely have it easier. However, there are always exceptions. I know some of the top recruiting chapters took juniors but the key is to get to know people. Which I’m not sure you’ll have time to do since by this point it would be dirty rushing.

I would say put your best foot forward and hope for the best. Be honest and be yourself. Every chapter is great and it’s easy to make friends! Besides you wouldn’t want to be part of a chapter who didn’t want you for something as minuscule as your class standing anyway. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightnAiry View Post
I’m a current student at UCF and a sister of a chapter there. Juniors have a tougher time going through recruitment. My Big Sis happened to have been a junior and had an okay time but she’s told me it wasn’t easy and she didn’t get invited back to a fair amount of chapters.Sophomores and Freshman definitely have it easier. However, there are always exceptions. I know some of the top recruiting chapters took juniors but the key is to get to know people. Which I’m not sure you’ll have time to do since by this point it would be dirty rushing.
What? Why on earth would it be dirty rushing? Please don’t tell me you have silence in place NOW for Fall 2019 rush. If so, I suggest your Panhellenic consults your Green Books, because that is not how silence is supposed to work.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Some schools with rush the week prior to the start of fall semester require sorority members to observe silence at the end of the preceding spring semester, ending on bid day.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Fraternity Member, I look over these post I am going W T F is going on?

Unless this person is an OGRE, you ladies of Sororities scare the heck out of me. I have seen more harsh comments in The She GLO than ever in The He GLO!

Guess I should stick to What is for Dinner!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
As a Fraternity Member, I look over these post I am going W T F is going on?

Unless this person is an OGRE, you ladies of Sororities scare the heck out of me. I have seen more harsh comments in The She GLO than ever in The He GLO!
Harsh?? Tom, what has been said that was harsh? All I see are quite honest comments, opinions and discussion. Many of the comments have even been encouraging and kind.

Sororities run things differently. I would suggest looking at whether more fraternities or sororities are being shut down to see which set of rules might be working better.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Some schools with rush the week prior to the start of fall semester require sorority members to observe silence at the end of the preceding spring semester, ending on bid day.
Ummm, wow, no. If that policy is in place at UCF, it is super wrong and should be changed. This is directly from the MOI. (I bolded the pertinent part.)

POSITIVE PANHELLENIC CONTACT
To help increase the number of potential new members, sorority women must promote general sorority membership. Various publics should understand the benefits of sorority membership, including high scholastic attainment, dynamic leadership opportunities, philanthropic contributions and an immediate campus-based circle of lifelong friendships.
Because of these factors, all College Panhellenics should share in the goal of positive Panhellenic content, which is intended to promote interest in the sorority community and bring more women to the recruitment process. Too often sorority women turn away potential new members. Development of a Panhellenic code of ethics and adherence by all chapters is essential to the success of every College Panhellenic.
Are your silence rules outdated? Strict silence is intended for the short period of time, not more than 24 hours, from the signing of the membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement (MRABA) until bid distribution.
Additional silence rules are not desirable because they can suppress participation in recruitment and stunt growth in Panhellenic communities. Panhellenics are encouraged to eliminate all silence and “no contact” statements from their recruitment rules except for the strict silence required during the short time between preference and bid distribution.

Positive Panhellenic contact does not mean creating an unfair advantage for a particular NPC member organization. It does mean being friendly and responding to questions potential new members might ask of Panhellenic members. It does mean promoting sorority membership in general, not a particular organization.
2019 | Manual of Information College Panhellenic Membership Recruitment | 115
Positive Panhellenic Contact Policy (2003): All College Panhellenics and Alumnae Panhellenics will promote personal and informative Panhellenic-spirited contact with potential new members at all times, year-round.
Strict Silence Policy (1995): Strict silence is observed only between the end of preference events and the bid distribution. Positive Panhellenic contact shall be advocated at all other times.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck! You got this!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ummm, wow, no. If that policy is in place at UCF, it is super wrong and should be changed. This is directly from the MOI. (I bolded the pertinent part.)

POSITIVE PANHELLENIC CONTACT
To help increase the number of potential new members, sorority women must promote general sorority membership. Various publics should understand the benefits of sorority membership, including high scholastic attainment, dynamic leadership opportunities, philanthropic contributions and an immediate campus-based circle of lifelong friendships.
Because of these factors, all College Panhellenics should share in the goal of positive Panhellenic content, which is intended to promote interest in the sorority community and bring more women to the recruitment process. Too often sorority women turn away potential new members. Development of a Panhellenic code of ethics and adherence by all chapters is essential to the success of every College Panhellenic.
Are your silence rules outdated? Strict silence is intended for the short period of time, not more than 24 hours, from the signing of the membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement (MRABA) until bid distribution.
Additional silence rules are not desirable because they can suppress participation in recruitment and stunt growth in Panhellenic communities. Panhellenics are encouraged to eliminate all silence and “no contact” statements from their recruitment rules except for the strict silence required during the short time between preference and bid distribution.

Positive Panhellenic contact does not mean creating an unfair advantage for a particular NPC member organization. It does mean being friendly and responding to questions potential new members might ask of Panhellenic members. It does mean promoting sorority membership in general, not a particular organization.
2019 | Manual of Information College Panhellenic Membership Recruitment | 115
Positive Panhellenic Contact Policy (2003): All College Panhellenics and Alumnae Panhellenics will promote personal and informative Panhellenic-spirited contact with potential new members at all times, year-round.
Strict Silence Policy (1995): Strict silence is observed only between the end of preference events and the bid distribution. Positive Panhellenic contact shall be advocated at all other times.
She didn't say strict silence Many larger Greek schools (SEC ones)have rules against summer parties, etc. That's what she's talking about. You're really good when you stay in your lane....don't swerve!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 AM

That makes more sense. I would hope that sorority women weren’t avoiding talking to unaffiliated students. I attribute my knee jerk reaction to seeing WAY too many people on here in the past saying that their school did exactly that.