GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,313
0 members and 2,313 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! (transfer school, sorority chapter at new school?)

Hi!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone tell me what happens when a member transfers to a new school and is not invited to join that school's chapter of her sorority?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1510 View Post
Can anyone tell me what happens when a member transfers to a new school and is not invited to join that school's chapter of her sorority?
Generally, you remain an alumna of your sorority (as long as you're paid up with dues) and can affiliate with an alumnae chapter.

Did you request to affiliate with the chapter at your new school, or were you waiting for them to invite you? Every org is different, and I imagine that if the chapter just had recruitment and is at max, it might be a numbers issue.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I requested to affiliate with them but i was not chosen. They picked only 2 out of the 6 transfers. One of the girls picked was my roommie which makes this situation even more traumatic for me. i am so miserable that i want to withdraw from school. I feel so rejected. i dont feel like this is an example of sisterhood.
Who would i pay my dues to? What would i get out of paying dues? i am a Zeta without a home.

Last edited by mary1510; 09-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, I requested to affiliate with them but i was not chosen. They picked only 2 out of the 6 transfers. One of the girls picked was my roommie which makes this situation even more traumatic for me. i am so miserable that i want to withdraw from school.

>> I know it sucks, but that is not a reason to withdraw from school. You transferred for a reason; is that no longer valid?

I feel so rejected. i dont feel like this is an example of sisterhood.

>> It could be a numbers issue. Or, perhaps you didn't really fit with the chapter there. If you had not been a member and went through recruitment, you might not have been offered a bid from them.

Who would i pay my dues to? What would i get out of paying dues? i am a Zeta without a home.
>> Regarding the dues, I was asking if you were "in good standing" with your previous chapter and your national organization. Some groups have "lifetime" fees that they must pay at some point.

Perhaps a ZTA here can offer you some more specific advice/information. Just realize that it's not just you that this happens to, and not just your sorority. I hope that you can find other ways to feel at home on your new campus.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am in good standing.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I have decided to transfer to Tulane in the spring.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM

I apologize. I thought you were talking about Zeta Tau Alpha, not Zeta Phi Beta.

Deleting my post since I am in the wrong lane...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of Zeta Tau Alpha. I wasn't accepted to the chapter in the current school i transfered to. I have now decided to transfer to Tulane in the spring because this situation has made me unhappy here.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I am a member of Zeta Tau Alpha. I wasn't accepted to the chapter in the current school i transfered to. I have now decided to transfer to Tulane in the spring because this situation has made me unhappy here.
Oh. Ok. Then you will definitely be an alumna. This has been a rather long day, sorry.

As I said in my bagged post - too many people in the past abused the whole transferring option and it's the people coming up now who have to bear the brunt of it. I know it sucks, but honestly, better to not be chosen to affiliate than to be in a chapter that's only taking you grudgingly and pay a mint for it. We ALL have chapters of our sororities where we might not have been accepted. It does seem to fly in the face of the concept of a national organization, but the plain truth is, you can't force sisterhood.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I requested to affiliate with them but i was not chosen. They picked only 2 out of the 6 transfers. One of the girls picked was my roommie which makes this situation even more traumatic for me. i am so miserable that i want to withdraw from school. I feel so rejected. i dont feel like this is an example of sisterhood.
Quote:
Yes, I am in good standing.
Quote:
I have decided to transfer to Tulane in the spring.
Quote:
When one joins a sorority for the purposes of transferring to another school that has a chapter she wouldn't be able to get into under normal circumstances, it doesn't always work out the way she planned.

Are you seriously going to transfer again just because of a sorority? Would you even be eligible to affiliate at yet another school? Wouldn't you be on alumna status now because you were turned down for affiliation? Does Zeta allow you to go back to active? Those are things you'd better find out before you start chasing another dream.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I did not originally join Zeta at my last school with the intent of transferring. I transfered to be closer to home because my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I do not intend to affiliate at Tulane. I am just not happy here after being rejected. I suppose what makes matters worse is that my best friend, who is also my rommie, was accepted and and i am excluded from all of the upcoming Zeta activities which she will be participating in.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 AM
GreekChat Member

If you become alumna status and aren't even allowed to affiliate at another school, aren't you basically being blackballed?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I did not originally join Zeta at my last school with the intent of transferring. I transfered to be closer to home because my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I do not intend to affiliate at Tulane. I am just not happy here after being rejected. I suppose what makes matters worse is that my best friend, who is also my rommie, was accepted and and i am excluded from all of the upcoming Zeta activities which she will be participating in.
So is Tulane just as close to home?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If you become alumna status and aren't even allowed to affiliate at another school, aren't you basically being blackballed?
No. "Blackball" is not a word that exists in the NPC.

You can attend alumnae functions, will still receive the magazine and other alumnae perks. You haven't been terminated from the sorority. It's your choice to transfer - if you hadn't, you would have been an active sister all through your college career and become an alumna at graduation. Your college career as far as sorority is just ending a little earlier.