GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,016
1 members and 1,015 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-06-2000, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Line Caps?

I was just being nosey in another forum and the issue was large lines...someone had posted that a/an university(ies) can put a limit on the number of persons placed on that "line". I am kind of confused. I have not been an undergrad since 93, so I am thinking how can the university decide how many members you can bring in? I could possibly handle the ORGANIZATION as a whole(national or regional) deciding how many members that could be brought in at one time, but not the university. I don't know... can someone help me out here? I am confused. Do you all feel where I am coming from?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2000, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard of universities putting a limit on the number of people inititated into a particular organization. However, I suppose the organization or the chapter may place a limit on the number of people they choose to initiate on a particular line. If a chapter does it, then their constitution would need to be amended to reflect the change.
Old 07-06-2000, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Exactly, Soror. Why would the university have to get involved? I read that Hampton has a cap on all of the sororities and fraternities. If the sororities or fraternities wanted to place a cap on the number of members it accepts at one time, then that should be an issue for that org, not the university.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Question: What do you think of lines of 200+? I was on another AKA sister site and I saw that a school brought in a line in '98 with that amount of sorors. I am from a big city (in the North, of course) and we sure don't see numbers like that.... can any Soror speak up and tell me how that is (i.e. how it feels, how one gets to know their sands?
If we discussed this already I apologize, I have been out of it lately!

Sisterly
Old 07-06-2000, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa! I've never heard of a line with 200+, but I know of lines with 100+. When I attended my first regional, I saw sorors with those numbers on their jackets and shirts. I don't know how they do it, but if they know as much or more as I learned then my hat goes off to them because that is definitely no small task to accomplish.
Old 07-06-2000, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, you could be talking about an undergraduate chapter in my region. They took in 200 or 201. BUT there was an ISSUE there. TRUST ME. I will email you with the details I was told. We did not have 100 or more on our line, but it was not the traditional 10, 20, or 30.

Soror AKAtude, it is true, if they know their information and are working towards the goals of Alpha Kappa Alpha, then that is all that is important.
Old 07-06-2000, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll keep it real. If a line of any where near 100 or more tried to call me bro. I would not have anything to do with it. If you don't pledge you are not real. I know AKA's are not APHIA but the same rules apply.
Roc'
Old 07-06-2000, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Hello to the ladies of AKA. I'm browsing through your room again and came upon this topic. It's similar to one in the Delta room. I was okay with the topic until I read a reply post by Roc. Roc how can you say that you wouldn't call someone with the number 100+ on their back your brother? Even though I'm not a member of APHIA, I have mad respect for your organization. I do believe that APHIA teaches brotherhood. If a frat/sorority takes in 100+ it's not the fault of the pledges on line. One cannot help how they come into an organization. I've said this time and time again, pledging does not make one a better member. Do you think your founders pledged? I don't think any of the founders of any organization pledged. Saying things like "you're not real unless you pledge" is just plain out backwards. As long as a person is explemfying the principles of their organizations and working toward the goals of that organization, it doesn't matter how they come in. Isn't that why people join greek organizations anyway? I would hope you didn't join APHIA just to pledge. If you did then you didn't it for the wrong reasons.And what happened to that "06-08 Love" your frat always touting. I've heard of other greeks make statements about what they think they know about the AKA process but when I hear frat doing it, it puzzles me. In closing, in the immortal words of Laurence Fishburne "Wake Up"!

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 07-06-2000, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Greetings my Pan Hellenic Sorors,

I bring you greetings from Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Hope all is well with you ladies.

If you all have ever visited our forum and read any of my posts you know that I'm pretty straight forward. But my response is to the caps placed by universities. I currently work in higher education and it is true that caps can be placed by the university. Most of the time is a collaborative effort between student services and the Pan.

Another thing depends on how ACTIVE your campus Pan Hellenic Council is. Some campuses don't realize how powerful that organization is. One day I hope to serve on the NPHC as an officer and I'm currently working towards that goal. But I'm digressing here....but YES some universities can and will place caps just as some universities will raise the GPA requirements in order for the organization to be active.

I would give you a list of schools that do that but you'll be surprised that it's a pretty long list.

Be Blessed You All.

DirectorDST

Old 07-06-2000, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Nupe 4 life,
First of all You know nothing about my founders so with all due respect don't even think that you can speculate their methods of foundation! But let's not bring this potential drama to the lovely ladies of AKA and their intelligent conversation room. Let's hook up in the Ice Cold Layer of the Frozen Tundra. Join me in the ALPHA forum and we will discuss this further. I would like to apologize to my sorors for interrupting your flow.

Dex
15BA-SP94
Old 07-06-2000, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I apologize to the lovely ladies of AKA if I started some mess in here. I was just voicing my opinion.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 07-06-2000, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of some universities in South Central that do indeed cap their lines. I have heard that legacies are included in the cap, and can reduce the number of non-legacies that are able to be selected. I believe that I know what chapter you are talking about that had 200 or so candidates on a line.
Old 07-06-2000, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Soror, pleas email me a list of the chapters in the South Central region that has these caps. I am in the region, have always been. Too, I have not been an undergrad since 93, so alot of things have changed and are changing. VAW55@aol.com. Things are sooooo different now!
Old 07-07-2000, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PinkIvy Send a message via Yahoo to PinkIvy
Hello Sorors and Sisterfriends,

There are some schools that are placed under a cap because of administration. My school has a cap for all greeks. Being that I am a neo I really don't know why the cap was installed, but it has been there since I was a freshman and probably before that.

Each organization has the right to take all 50 (lets say the cap was 50) or they can take under that amount, it just depends on how many members they already have.

Have a blessed day and evening
Old 07-07-2000, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1Babygirl2000 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Babygirl2000
Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:
Exactly, Soror. Why would the university have to get involved? I read that Hampton has a cap on all of the sororities and fraternities. If the sororities or fraternities wanted to place a cap on the number of members it accepts at one time, then that should be an issue for that org, not the university.
It is true. Hampton has a cap of 75 for all sororities and fraternities. I don't know what year or why the administration put the cap on, but it stands to this day.

[This message has been edited by 1Babygirl2000 (edited July 07, 2000).]