GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,441
0 members and 1,441 guests
No Members online

Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Does your college campus have an on-campus bar?

Last edited by Jen; 08-15-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Our campus is (technically) dry. Students, even over 21, are not allowed to have alcohol on campus. It is also a violation of the code of conduct to be intoxicated while on campus.

The rule is sort of enforced, but it isn't difficult to get around either.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

We don't have an official campus bar, but we have several that are right on the other side of the campus border that are basically staples of life here.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

My undergrad campus used to before I was a student there, but they got rid of it and replaced it with a student "hang-out" area with couches and TVs. No one ever used it, so they replaced it with a study space and it suddenly became very popular. I'll proudly admit that my alma mater is full of nerds.

The campus I work on now has a bar, but it's part of a business-dress-required restaurant on campus so I don't think many undergrads go there. Most of the seniors live off-campus anyway.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

At the time I was in school 10-15 years ago, we had a small campus bar. It was more of a restaurant type of atmosphere (upscale caf) during the day but there was a semi-stocked bar that got busy at around 5PM. It only stayed open until 8:30. If we were really having bad mornings, they served alcohol as early as 10AM.

Fridays were the busiest days as they had live music. When things shut down everyone headed down the street to the university dive bars.

I think the bar is still there and they still serve booze, but from what I hear it's not what it used to be thanks to Sodexho taking over.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM
GreekChat Member

We do have a campus bar and a café, they both serve alcohol after 4PM, though the café closes at 7PM. They (the bar) sometimes have huge parties and are open 6 days a week, they close at 3AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I did a quick count and came up with 13ish on my campus. I say 13ish because 1) I'm sure I'm forgetting something, 2) one bar closed and re-opened a few times when I was there so I don't know where they are right now, 3) one bar closed my senior year, an despite rumors of it being remodeled/reopening, it still hasn't yet, so who knows.

Bar entry age is 19 and bars close a 2pm.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have a bar on campus, but there was one that was a 5-10 minute drive from campus that was kind of known as the "Penn State Behrend bar" .. Jimmy Z's. Mmm, wings. Mercyhurst had a similar situation with The Cornerstone. And Gannon, well... they were downtown and were surrounded by bars.

There are so many bars in Erie, PA that there's no need to have any on campus. And it's CHEAP to drink there. I went to visit about a month ago, went out to a bar downtown for a few hours with some friends, received my bill and had forgotten how inexpensive it was until I saw ... $12.86 for 4 Jack and Cokes. And with all the bars they have, there are always a few specials running each night. $3 Long Island Ice Teas in fishbowls... $5 pitchers of soda/liquor (and free pizza!)... $1 everything from 10-12... the list goes on. When I was in college, I'd go out for 4 hours, be feeling pretty good, and was full from food from somewhere we stopped along the way... and usually, I'd never spend more than $20.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 06-09-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 PM

There's one in the basement of our student center. It's not super popular though, as students prefer the off-campus bars.

Our campus is also not totally dry either. If you live in certain upperclassman dorms, you're premitted to drink if you're of age (and aren't causing a disturbance of course.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We had two bars (one that was limited to the over-21 crowd) and no restriction on alcohol in the dorms.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a bar on campus a few years before I arrived. I can't remember why they closed it.

There were probably a dozen bars just outside of the campus. There were several more a few miles out, and hundreds more for those who ventured out to Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We have the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union that's been open since 1974. It used to be open for lunch and you could go in and have a beer along with your meal, but they discontinued serving food about 6 years ago. It serves more as an entertainment venue where you can see bands and live acts. I *think* the bowling ally/pool hall in the basement of the Union also serves beer.

Directly across the street from the southwest edge of campus (within walking distance from residence halls, Greekland, many apartments and rental houses) is what we call Campustown. There are a number of bars, restaurants and student-centered businesses in that area and that's where we almost always went out to at night when we talked about going to the "bars".
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM

None of the 14 schools in PA's State System of Higher Education are allowed to have any type of alcohol on campus anywhere. The state's drinking age has been 21 for forever, so it would for the most part (since most upperclassmen live off campus) be flouting the law. Supposedly the president sometimes circumvents this with receptions at his/her house, but people bitch about that kind of thing a lot more than they used to since the schools/surrounding town police have gotten a lot more strict with enforcing alcohol regulations and closing down parties.

Some of the private schools like W & J used to have on-campus bars, but I'm not sure if they still do.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
WVU has a bar in their student union but I never went to it. People I know who've gone to it said they have pretty decent drink specials.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, and it's extremely popular. My friend who goes to a different school says that no one drinks at hers.