GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,266
1 members and 2,265 guests
No Members online

Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

eBook Readers: anyone have one?

Hey everyone... I'm not usually one for buying every gadget that comes out as soon as it is available (mainly because until fairly recently I was a permanently broke student). However, yesterday when I went online to buy some new alarm clocks, there was a big anouncement on amazon.com about their new Kindle ebook reader. I had never heard of such a gadget, but I guess Sony has one out already, too. They both run about $400, although there seem to be some opportunities to get the Sony ones for cheaper elsewhere.

Here is a link to Kindle (by Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Here is a link to the Sony Reader:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16184

I thought that they looked kind of silly and lazy, until I started thinking about how every time I travel I inevitably pack about 5 books because I don't know what kind of book I'll be in the mood for or how much I will be reading. I also started thinking about how convenient it would be to be able to keep it in my purse (impossible for hardback books in cute purses) and read whereever. And then I realized I could read a trashy romance novel in a public place and not have to worry about running into someone I know...

My point is... I really think I want one now, but I think I'm going to wait for Kindle to drop a hundred or two off the price (if I can wait). Does anyone have one or has anyone ordered either the Sony or Amazon version and have comments?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

i don't have one but am interested to hear if others do.

<---- not really an early adopter on anything.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I have the first-gen Sony Reader that was released about a year ago. I looooooove it. I travel a ton so it's nice to be able to put books, pdfs and even MS Word docs on there and take them all with me at once.

I haven't seen the newest release of the eReader in person, but from what the website says, it's even thinner and has updated technologies to make the refresh rate even faster and the screen better. I think it might even have more internal memory than the original one did.

Last edited by texas*princess; 11-25-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Texas! Thanks for replying (somehow I missed the reply until today, though)

Do you think the "e-ink" is significantly better for eyes? Also, is there any way to get around being limited to the selection of ebooks that Sony offers online?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really sure what you mean by "better for the eyes"?

It looks like real book print though and you can change the font sizes. I take mine so I can read on the treadmill or elliptical (sp?) ... I just make the font bigger since i'm moving

Their ebook store has a really good selection of books (in my opinion anyway). I don't know what the number is now, but I would guess they have several thousand titles and just about all the new titles that come out every week are up there.

ETA: If you download books from other sites, if it is in Adobe format they are readable on the eReader.