GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
g41965
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the exceptional aspects of this DePauw situation was that the national group tried to act without knowing what the college would allow. The chapter voting to close is a great thing if the national group is then able to immediately re-open without any hard feelings in the former members, so I don't think the house was even a factor. (Apparently, the national groups didn't even communicate with the local house association, which is really weird.) Theoretically, had everything gone as DZ originally planned, the house could have been full second semester of the next year after the re-colonization rush, or at least the national group seemed to expect it to be, based on their recruiting goal for the chapter.

Had Delta Zeta known that they wouldn't be allowed to immediately re-colonize, I suspect they never would have put things to the chapter in the same terms. I like to think there would have been a much stronger spirit of cooperation all the way through, but maybe not.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
One of the exceptional aspects of this DePauw situation was that the national group tried to act without knowing what the college would allow. The chapter voting to close is a great thing if the national group is then able to immediately re-open without any hard feelings in the former members, so I don't think the house was even a factor. (Apparently, the national groups didn't even communicate with the local house association, which is really weird.) Theoretically, had everything gone as DZ originally planned, the house could have been full second semester of the next year after the re-colonization rush, or at least the national group seemed to expect it to be, based on their recruiting goal for the chapter.

Had Delta Zeta known that they wouldn't be allowed to immediately re-colonize, I suspect they never would have put things to the chapter in the same terms. I like to think there would have been a much stronger spirit of cooperation all the way through, but maybe not.
I think the prob is they DIDN'T want to recolonize immediately...for some reason I remember seeing that they wanted to start all this in Spring 2008, but don't quote me. Had they recolonized immediately, the pledges could have lived in. Sounds freaky, yeah, but it used to happen all the time.

And as for living in the house = commitment, there are a few dedicated sisters I can think of that I THANKED GOD did NOT live in the house. Not everyone is suited for communal living.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC's March 15, 2007 Letter to New York Times about DePauw Delta Zeta Situation

At least one NPC sorority has posted a link to the NPC’s March 15, 2007 letter to the NY Times about the DePauw DZ situation. The letter itself is in PDF; the link appears on the sorority’s web site at:

http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/asa/news.asp

This is the link given to the NPC’s letter:

http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/pdf/L...s_20070315.pdf
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
NPC's March 15, 2007 Letter to New York Times about DePauw Delta Zeta Situation

At least one NPC sorority has posted a link to the NPC’s March 15, 2007 letter to the NY Times about the DePauw DZ situation. The letter itself is in PDF; the link appears on the sorority’s web site at:

http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/asa/news.asp

This is the link given to the NPC’s letter:

http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/pdf/L...s_20070315.pdf
Not a fan at all of this. A) It seems that the rest of NPC supports what appears to have happened and B) I don't like the tone of the letter, it seems accusatory, hostile and defensive towards the NYT, which is not the look sororities need to go for right now in light of this bad press.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Not a fan at all of this. A) It seems that the rest of NPC supports what appears to have happened and B) I don't like the tone of the letter, it seems accusatory, hostile and defensive towards the NYT, which is not the look sororities need to go for right now in light of this bad press.
You beat me to it.

It's as if the NPC's just confirming what people already think of us.

Did they hire the same PR person DZ had?

They were better off keeping their mouth shut.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, this wasn't the NPC reaction I was looking for. I didn't want or expect any condemnation of DZ for the DePauw deal because I think fundamentally a sympathy and concern for the group exists, even though they made mistakes in their handling of things.

But this letter is going to facilitate painting all groups with the same brush. NPC need to reassure the public that nothing like this would happen again, and instead they've come across as defensive and hostile. Not a smart move.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this posted anywhere? I coincidentally saw this in a Wikipedia article. I certainly would not classify DZ as a "sorority with a nationwide conflict" in the present sense. I certainly hope this does not become a trend....

Texas Christian University reacts to controversy

Texas Christian University selected Gamma Phi Beta International Sorority over Delta Zeta as a new member of its Panhellenic community on February 28, 2007.[16] "It will be a concern because if you bring on a sorority with nationwide conflict," said the Panhellenic director of recruitment, "that's taking a big liability." The Panhellenic president stated that the recent events at DePauw were a factor in the decision.[17]
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
You beat me to it.

It's as if the NPC's just confirming what people already think of us.

Did they hire the same PR person DZ had?

They were better off keeping their mouth shut.
Maybe they used the DZ media toolkit

And yea, agree w/ what was said... I don't particularly care for the way they dealt with it..
Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad DZ View Post
Is this posted anywhere? I coincidentally saw this in a Wikipedia article. I certainly would not classify DZ as a "sorority with a nationwide conflict" in the present sense. I certainly hope this does not become a trend....

Texas Christian University selected Gamma Phi Beta International Sorority over Delta Zeta as a new member of its Panhellenic community on February 28, 2007.[16] "It will be a concern because if you bring on a sorority with nationwide conflict," said the Panhellenic director of recruitment, "that's taking a big liability." The Panhellenic president stated that the recent events at DePauw were a factor in the decision.[17]
While I think that the events at DePauw were a factor, I wouldn't think that it was the sole reason. I can definitely see why it would be a concern though.

GPhi is a fantastic organization and I'm sure there were other factors that went into that decision.

Gamma Phi also has a strong chapter at SMU. While DZ has a chapter at UTA, the chapter at UNT folded just a few years ago. Not saying that was a basis, since I obviously have no ties to TCU's Panhellenic, but it's something to think about.

I believe APhi was another possiblity for TCU that didn't get selected... so it's not like it was only DZ that didn't get selected.

Last edited by texas*princess; 03-16-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad DZ View Post

I remember a link to the TCU article was posted a few pages back and of course too I'm too lazy to dig it up.

I'm going to be bold and say that I don't blame TCU one bit.

And I'm curious to see how this will definitely affect future extension opportunities.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I don't agree with Ms. Quick backing up DZ Nationals in regards to the DePauw incident, but I think the rest of the letter is pretty good and I like that she invited whoever to talk to NPC's leaders.

Have anyone else's Inter/Nationals given word on this?

KLTC
Old 03-16-2007, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
I don't agree with Ms. Quick backing up DZ Nationals in regards to the DePauw incident, but I think the rest of the letter is pretty good and I like that she invited whoever to talk to NPC's leaders.

Have anyone else's Inter/Nationals given word on this?
I am not aware of any offical statement (or unofficial, for that matter) issued by Alpha Gamma Delta on the matter. As a Chapter Advisor, generally I'm copied on all official communications issued by IHQ, so I feel fairly certain that our organization has refrained from making any comment.

(Frankly, I'm personally pleased with that way of handling the situation so far. I can understand why NPC may have felt compelled to make an official statement, being that they represent all sororities including Delta Zeta. I don't necessarily think that any other individual NPC groups need to make separate statements.)
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Agreed

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, in all honesty, I am surprised that this has been given more media attention than the Zeta Phi Beta situation. (Mentioned in other threads.)
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it has everything to do with the nature of the 'scandal.' I haven't been reading everything about the Zeta Phi Beta situation, but I am under the impression that it's a monetary scandal. People get their embezzlement type kicks out of Enron and other major corporations (even though ZPB is incorporated, the public sees sororities as college clubs, not corporations), and they get their hazing and 'those damn college kids' and 'women are pressured into looking a certain way by the media' kicks from sororities.
Especially with things like the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty getting a lot of buzz recently, a sorority (doing what's perceived by the public as) kicking out girls for not being pretty or slutty enough is more likely to catch someone's eye than a money scandal.
Closed Thread