GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,333
3 members and 1,330 guests
Titchou

Old 09-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Angry Yale A Capella Rush - LIke Greek Rush w/o the Binge Drinking?

Yale's A Capella Rush

NPR's Robert Smith reports on an old-fashioned entertainment that's becoming the hottest thing on campus... a cappella singing. Yale University has a "rush" for the singing groups that rivals that of any fraternity or sorority. (8:25)

Listen to the ENTIRE story....and take note of some comments near regarding Greek rush.

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/me/20020926.me.05.ram

Want to comment on the story? Morning Edition: morning@npr.org

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:54 AM

I can't hear it - Real Player is not cooperating with me and I can't find a transcript.

A friend of mine from high school went to Yale and joined an a cappella group. She's told me about her rush, from both sides, and it does sound very similar to GLO rush in some ways, except that most GLOs don't make you audition

What did the story have to say about GLO rush?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
A capella singing? the hottest thing on campus?

ROFLMAO!

Wow the things those crazy journalists say....

We're dorky at Yale, but not THAT dorky. THere are about three good a capella groups that people like and the rest just EXIST and their friends go to their concerts.

After sophmore year I never went to another a capella show, and neither did most of the people I knew (unless they were forced by friends).

A capella singing is really annoying.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 09-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
I can't hear it - Real Player is not cooperating with me and I can't find a transcript.

A friend of mine from high school went to Yale and joined an a cappella group. She's told me about her rush, from both sides, and it does sound very similar to GLO rush in some ways, except that most GLOs don't make you audition

What did the story have to say about GLO rush?
Essentially that the A Capella rush was like Greek life except w/o the binge drinking and stuff. Annoying.

PLUS - they talked about how out-of-control the A.C. rush had gotten with each group trying to outdo one another with posters, gifts to PNMs etc. - basically how sorority rush used to be, before the NPC standardized things.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:16 PM

One of the Acapella guys (Dan Freeman of "The Spizzwhinks)said 'It's like a Greek scene, but a little less focused on binge drinking and hazing, and a little more focused on talent".

Booo....
Old 09-30-2002, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84

We're dorky at Yale, but not THAT dorky.
ROFL!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
A capella singing? the hottest thing on campus?

ROFLMAO!

Wow the things those crazy journalists say....

We're dorky at Yale, but not THAT dorky. THere are about three good a capella groups that people like and the rest just EXIST and their friends go to their concerts.

After sophmore year I never went to another a capella show, and neither did most of the people I knew (unless they were forced by friends).

A capella singing is really annoying.
When I was in high school, the Yale Alley Cats and the Wiffenpoofs would come and sing to us a Christmas time. When I was 13, they were hot, but at 17, they were NOT!

Lovelyivy, I didn't know that you were a Yalie!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
We had one of the Yale a cappela groups come and sing at one of our cultural events at my college. I think they were called Red, Hot and Blue (?). They were alright, but not anything to write home like the Vienna Boys Choir that came right after them. They thought they were great, though... I guess that's all that really counts.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

A Capella is pretty big at my school...at least three groups are popular. There are about 15 that I can think of, and the audition process IS like Greek Rush...in this weird way.

The only people who go to arch sings are freshman, and a capella groupies.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 AM

Ok, I finally got my sound card working. Oy

A cappella is also pretty big at my school, but it's nothing like what goes on at Yale and it's not really like rush. You have an audition, some of the more popular groups do callbacks, and they select their new members.

There are only a few a cappella groups, because we had a (stupid) rule that no two student groups could be formed for the same purpose - so if there were, for instance, a gaming club, you couldn't form another one, you were expected to join the existing one. This held true even if the groups were selective in their membership. So we had: the coed group, the all-women's group, the all-men's group, the coed group that would let Wellesley students join, the Christian group, and the Jewish group (the one I sang with) - AND THAT WAS IT. You wanted to form another singing group? Too bad, unless you could make it in some way different from the existing groups.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Is this still a big thing?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That sounds extra gay. Wow.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
NPR reads letters every week (thursday I believe for morning edition)? And they give reciept for each one received, so, send those letters and emails kids!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum
Ok, I finally got my sound card working. Oy

A cappella is also pretty big at my school, but it's nothing like what goes on at Yale and it's not really like rush. You have an audition, some of the more popular groups do callbacks, and they select their new members.

There are only a few a cappella groups, because we had a (stupid) rule that no two student groups could be formed for the same purpose - so if there were, for instance, a gaming club, you couldn't form another one, you were expected to join the existing one. This held true even if the groups were selective in their membership. So we had: the coed group, the all-women's group, the all-men's group, the coed group that would let Wellesley students join, the Christian group, and the Jewish group (the one I sang with) - AND THAT WAS IT. You wanted to form another singing group? Too bad, unless you could make it in some way different from the existing groups.
I want to start the a capella ventriloquists group!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul
NPR reads letters every week (thursday I believe for morning edition)? And they give reciept for each one received, so, send those letters and emails kids!
I doubt they'll be reading letters for a story that aired in September, 2002.