GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,565
3 members and 1,562 guests
LaneSig, nathnpetrovo648, Xidelt

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Which makes me wonder -- how many GLOs use specific shades of a particular color? We just say our colors are red, black and gold and I've seen various shades of red in particular use (and appropriately so), but if you follow the guides from our visual identity manual, it should specifically be red, black and gold.
AOII is Cardinal Red.

I don't know if this is a symbol quirk, but I get annoyed by people who try and create shields/coat of arms for us. AOII doesn't have one- yet I occasionally see AOII merchandise with a fake shield thing on it.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I don't know if this is a symbol quirk, but I get annoyed by people who try and create shields/coat of arms for us. AOII doesn't have one- yet I occasionally see AOII merchandise with a fake shield thing on it.
LOL. And what do they look like?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

KD's colors are olive green and pearl white, not just white and green. I know some chapters use ladybugs for a symbol. It isn't official and I can only guess that they do not want to use the Katydid (I don't blame them). However, we also have the teddy bear as a mascot. It is hard to mess us our symbols with them being a dagger and a nautilus shell.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
The Alpha badge isn't supposed to be worn crooked but DAMMIT WHY IS THE PIN THNGY ON AN ANGLE??? It's impossible to wear correctly!

#jewelryhazing

Its the same with our badge.

Also, Delta Chi has red and buff (a tanned shade of yellow) which we share with AGD.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well not sure if this is a quirk or what...but if you look at the back of an AOII badge you can spell out the letters LOVE. The LOVE is seen through the way our letters are superimposed (stacked) on each other. Hard to explain but I could totally show someone in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
LOL. And what do they look like?
In response to shields...I have seen a shield with AOII on it, a shield with a rose on it....the best is when a Panhellenic Website tries to create one. Just use the rose, we are fine with just the rose!

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 02-15-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ETA didn't see my sister had already posted about our color
Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Well not sure if this is a quirk or what...but if you look at the back of an AOII badge you can spell out the letters LOVE. The LOVE is seen through the way our letters are superimposed (stacked) on each other. Hard to explain but I could totally show someone in person.

Help me out here!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu's quatrefoil is NOT square; it's a little bit wider than it is tall. Also, it's always a barbed quatrefoil (with the points), as opposed to just four humps. Some of the newer items in our store (Carnation Collection online) are just normal quatrefoils, not barbed, and I've complained several times about that fact. Some other items also have the quatrefoil cockeyed, at least in our official eyes, where the humps are at the north, south, east, and west positions... not a fan of that, either. Even our National Convention logo from last summer used a cockeyed quatrefoil. :-P

Our colors are Rose and White, not pink and white. Our Executive Office has, as of late, been using more of a hot pink or magenta, but I loathe that color. Absolutely hate it.

And this is just a personal preference, but when I use a lion to symbolize Phi Mu, I only try to use real or classy looking lions, not cartoony ones. I think of cartoons as silly, fake, and jokes, and that's not how I like to view my sisterhood.
Macon Magnolias
Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

How about your colors being red, buff, and green? Because "buff" is 99% of the time yellow. Which is fine (it's bright and happy, I'm down) but we had such a hard time with new members that didn't understand what BUFF was. Because all they see is red, yellow, and green.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post

Help me out here!
I get the L -part of the Pi, O - the Omicron, and the V - in the middle of the O. I don't see the E.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Our crescent should always be a waxing crescent. I cannot tell you how INSANE it drives me to see so much Gamma Phi merchandise with a waning crescent. I will not buy anything with the crescent facing the "wrong" way.
Yes! I know the feeling! And for what its worth, the Gamma Phi crescent helped me pass astronomy...if I couldn't remember the difference between waxing and waning I just thought of our symbol!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I get the L -part of the Pi, O - the Omicron, and the V - in the middle of the O. I don't see the E.
lowercase e- sort of the "o". It's easy to show someone in person. We used to take off our badges and show it to rushees during preference.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lowercase e- sort of the "o". It's easy to show someone in person. We used to take off our badges and show it to rushees during preference.
Okay, I can see that. That's pretty cool- and a great parlor trick during Pref!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Or you can put the clasp down and it makes and "E." I don't think this was planned at all mind you. Just a coincidence. We always did it at pref round too. The PNMs always liked it. (Really great to do if your PNM seems uninterested.)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Our crescent should always be a waxing crescent. I cannot tell you how INSANE it drives me to see so much Gamma Phi merchandise with a waning crescent. I will not buy anything with the crescent facing the "wrong" way.
I'm exactly the same way when it comes to my crescents. My friends get very annoyed when I see crescent stuff and I say, "I'd buy it, but the moon is facing the 'wrong' way!"
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
How about your colors being red, buff, and green? Because "buff" is 99% of the time yellow. Which is fine (it's bright and happy, I'm down) but we had such a hard time with new members that didn't understand what BUFF was. Because all they see is red, yellow, and green.
Try explaining brown and mode...I'm still not exactly sure how to explain 'mode' to others!

ETA: Sorry for the double post!