GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here. I know every group wants to claim to be the first! I guess it just depends on whether or not the name of the group matters - it seems that these groups had a fairly continuous purpose from their founding to the name change and onward.
I think maybe you are splitting hairs, or confusing claims. Changing the organization's name doesn't mean changing the organization, nor (necessarily) does changing the scope of the organization. As far as I'm concerned, every organization gets to say when it considers itself to have been founded.

If people then want to get into an argument about who was first, well, then they can establish exactly what they mean by first (first to exist in some form, first to use Greek letters, first to be founded with the idea of being a national organization . . . ) and then go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
And I did include the music greeks.
Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I know there is some confusion/controversial about the actually founding date of Chi Phi, since it was founded twice at Princeton, once in 1824 and once in 1854.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I think maybe you are splitting hairs, or confusing claims. Changing the organization's name doesn't mean changing the organization, nor (necessarily) does changing the scope of the organization. As far as I'm concerned, every organization gets to say when it considers itself to have been founded.

If people then want to get into an argument about who was first, well, then they can establish exactly what they mean by first (first to exist in some form, first to use Greek letters, first to be founded with the idea of being a national organization . . . ) and then go from there.

Thanks.
Honestly, the year doesn't matter to me for what I am trying to do. I just really want the DAY each organization celebrates Founder's Day - the month and the date. I included the year just as an FYI.

My intent wasn't to cause strife; I just wanted a way for people to see what celebrations were coming up in case they wanted to send good wishes. I see a lot of people wishing others "Happy Founder's Day" and thought it would be nice to have a list for those that like to do so. So please don't anyone get upset at each other about "who came first". I just wanted the dates on which people celebrated their founding.

I will keep updating the long post I wrote. When I am done, I will make a new thread (because this one's title does reflects NPC), and if someone wants to sticky that, that would be cool.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Another APhi can correct me if i'm wrong, but even though there is speculation as to whether it was in September (although I've always hear Sept 30) or October, we celebrate our founders day on Oct 10. When I was a NM, I learned that we were founded on Oct. 10, 1872.
Would anyone care to confirm the date (either the one I have or the one Epchick posted) for Alpha Phi? Perhaps someone that represents the Inter/national office? Please PM Me.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Not many people in the fraternity world consider 1824 as the founding date of Chi Phi, as Chi Phi itself listed 1854 as its founding date until a few years ago. There was a Chi Phi Society founded at Princeton in 1824 which lasted less than a year. Thirty years later some students discovered a few records of the original Chi Phi and decided to start a new fraternity by the same name, using part of the ritual from the earlier organization. Another group founded a fraternity by the same name in 1858 at University of North Carolina; and a third group did likewise at Hobart College in 1860 (none of the groups aware of the other three!) All having expanded to other campuses, the three groups eventually merged into one as they learned of each other and confusion occurred. That is also why the Greek letter names of early Chi Phi chapters is so confusing and out of sequence. The more accurate date for Chi Phi would be winter or early spring of 1854 (exact date never determined).
Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi was founded on October 13th, 1890 (119 years yesterday!), not the 30th at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm seeing some discrepancies on dates between the calendars being offered to you, ree-Xi. I know for a fact that Beta Theta Pi was founded on August 8, not July. And Phi Mu celebrates their Founders Day on March 4 each year, not on January 4. The joys of dating a Beta and being best friends with a Phi Mu - I know way too much about Greek life.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaceli View Post
I'm seeing some discrepancies on dates between the calendars being offered to you, ree-Xi. I know for a fact that Beta Theta Pi was founded on August 8, not July. And Phi Mu celebrates their Founders Day on March 4 each year, not on January 4. The joys of dating a Beta and being best friends with a Phi Mu - I know way too much about Greek life.
I will make the updates on this post: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...62#post1857262

Thank you for your help!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Would anyone care to confirm the date (either the one I have or the one Epchick posted) for Alpha Phi? Perhaps someone that represents the Inter/national office? Please PM Me.
This comes straight from the APhi website....

Quote:
Alpha Phi’s original colors were blue and gold. In 1879, noting that a fraternity had colors too similar to hers, Alpha Phi adopted the more distinctive colors of silver and Bordeaux. Members wear their colors in the form of a ribbon of silver/gray and Bordeaux, under their badge to acknowledge special occasions, the installation of a new chapter, the anniversary of their chapter’s installation or the celebration of Alpha Phi Founders’ Day, October 10.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Delta Chi was founded on October 13th, 1890 (119 years yesterday!), not the 30th at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
Thank you!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If anyone already has NALFO and/or NMGC info collected, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be gathering that info.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If anyone already has NALFO and/or NMGC info collected, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be gathering that info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa..._Organizations

Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Thank you!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post

Quote:
Alpha Phi’s original colors were blue and gold. In 1879, noting that a fraternity had colors too similar to hers, Alpha Phi adopted the more distinctive colors of silver and Bordeaux. Members wear their colors in the form of a ribbon of silver/gray and Bordeaux, under their badge to acknowledge special occasions, the installation of a new chapter, the anniversary of their chapter’s installation or the celebration of Alpha Phi Founders’ Day, October 10.
Thank you!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
To save you the time, Kappa is October 13th, 1870. We turned 139 yesterday!
Posting for a wooooo-hoot!