GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,396
0 members and 2,396 guests
No Members online

Old 12-07-1999, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question A UK Society?

Alright this is going to come across as a little radical. I have been, for a while now, a great admirer of the American Fraternities/Sororities. I feel that they offer young people taking their first steps in an increasingly hectic and cutthroat world an unparallelled opportunity to build a network of friends and contacts that serve and support them well for the rest of their lives.

I am currently studying at the Universtiy of Warwick in the United Kingdom. Here in the United Kingdom, even at Ivy League universities like Warwick, we have nothing similar to the American Greek letter societies.

Basically, the purpose of this post is to solicit advice or support either in establishing such a society or (which I suspect is more likely) to set up a branch of an existing society.

In any case, any suggestions, support or even just kind rds would be most welcomed.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-1999, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
My suggestion to you would be to research the 60+ National Interfraternity Conference fraternities and select 4-6 whose ideals, etc. appeal to you. Then, contact these organizations and see if any would be interested in colonizing in the UK. Many NIC groups are represented in Canada, so there is already a precedent for international expansion. Also, make sure your university has no problem with the establishment of this type of organization - some NIC groups require University recognition. Visit: http://www.nicindy.org

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 12-10-1999, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I think it is great that you want to start a fraternity in the UK! As a university greek advisor I can tell you there is a lot of research that you need to do. First of all, find out if your university recognizes student organizations and what the requirements for recognition would be. Establishing a chapter in the UK would be a major endeavour for any NIC organization and would require a significant investment of time and money. They will want assurances of success prior to making that investment. If the university would be antagonistic to the establishment of a fraternity, chances are good that an NIC organization would opt not to form a chapter. Second, be prepared to have to do some serious education for your peers, university administrators, etc. on just what greek life truly means. Most of your countrymen probably have very limited exposure if any. Expect "Animal House" or some god-awful made for t.v. movie to be about the extent of exposure. (I've been to the UK and have seen some of our worst programs on the BBC!) Finally, be prepared to have to address and research the inevitable questions on liability, freedom of association, etc. etc. etc. in regards to British law. It will not be an easy or rapid process, but I wish you the very best of luck. I think it would truly be a magnificent thing if we could make greek life an international experience. Plus what awesome road trips!
Old 01-19-2000, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest researching international sororities and fraternities. I am a member of the largest international sorority in the world. It is so interesting to speak and hear about other sisters from around the world.