GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,304
1 members and 1,303 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 09-10-2002, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

TWO formal recruitments a year??

Ok, I went to my first chapter meeting last night. Our greek life advisor at my college wants to have TWO formal recruitments. One big one in fall, with the week long events and what not. philanthropy nights, skit nights, pref nights, info nights, etc. but THEN (i dont know if this would be in place of COR (continuous open recruitment, or COB as a lot of people on here say) have a SECOND formal rush in the beginning of the spriing, but LIMIT it to only 50 girls being allowed to rush, and only having three nights of events instead of five or six. This seems like it would make teh smaller chapters get smaller, and the bigger chapters get bigger if you ask me, bc it SEEMS like they wouldnt be allowed to have informal then (im not positive about that one). It also seems like a hassle to do all that workk in the spring and the fall, a nd only having 50 people people go through. Anyone else have two formal recruitments? Is this even possible, or am I somehow misunderstanding?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Most schools I've known about or associated with have one formal recruitment. If its is early fall, then there is a second much less formal but still structured recruitment in the fall for those chapters that aren't at total. This is to give some structure and coordination for the PNMs who would like to partipate. I've never heard of limiting the number of PNMs would could participate.

The only restriction I've ever heard of was if a chapter was at or over total they couldn't participate in the informal recruitment. COR would happen after formal and after informal basically like the name says "continous".

If the school has a defered formal (winter or spring), there may or may not be a structured informal fall recruitment for upperclassmen.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh??? Has the advisor been smoking crack? Seriously, how can they limit the number of women rushing? That doesn't seem to make sense -- who decides which 50 women??
Old 09-10-2002, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I dont know, it makes no sense, and all the girls in my sorority AND others are greatly opposed to the idea. No, we dont have deffered rush, freshmen can rush in the fall just like everyone else. they arent going to limit the girls who can rush in the fall, but they DO limit numbers in the spring. This makes no sense to me.

Origionally posted by: AZ-AlphaXi
"The only restriction I've ever heard of was if a chapter was at or over total they couldn't participate in the informal recruitment. COR would happen after formal and after informal basically like the name says "continous". "

Exactly, I think her purpose in doing this is so that the chapters who made quota, and they are at total can still participate in recruitment twice a year instead of once a year. This is why I think it would make the stronger chapters stronger, and teh weaker chapters weaker.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

*passing some Advil to the recruitment chairs on justhey's campus*
Old 09-10-2002, 02:29 PM

We had structured informal and it is lovely, but I too have NEVER heard of limiting the # of rushees who can go through! Are you sure they didn't mean only 50 sisters from each chapter could participate? That would be lame too but it would make a little more sense.

Sometimes informal works better for the smaller chapters just because it is that - informal. I think maybe what the advisor is trying to do is make COB events easier for people to find, prevent overlapping, etc, but the limiting the # of people to go thru is whack!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

For years we had 2 formal recruitments. One in the fall and one in the spring, but we never limited the number of rushees.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought a sorority was only entitled to one quota per year if they were over total...

I don't think it can be in place of COB; it would have to be in addition to. Most orgs. nationals require that they COB year-round if they are not at total. I thought the only way to put a moratorium on COB was if formal recruitment is going on or if a colony comes to campus.

This is all very weird... I say have formal in the fall, informal for a week in the spring and COB all year.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard of a structured informal rush in the fall for upper classmen when formal rush is in Jan. It was only partly structured -- an open house to inform about Greek life, and there was no overlapping of rush parties so that a PNM could attend as many parties as she wished.

However, there was no rush fee to participate and the only groups were ones not at quota/total. Also, there was no limitation on PNMs!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I know they dont mean fifty sisters, bc the chapters on campus are only at about 50-65 anyways. Some dont even have 50 i think.

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
We had structured informal and it is lovely, but I too have NEVER heard of limiting the # of rushees who can go through! Are you sure they didn't mean only 50 sisters from each chapter could participate? That would be lame too but it would make a little more sense.

Sometimes informal works better for the smaller chapters just because it is that - informal. I think maybe what the advisor is trying to do is make COB events easier for people to find, prevent overlapping, etc, but the limiting the # of people to go thru is whack!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:17 PM

That sounds bizarre. Maybe your greek life advisor is talking about a formal recruitment and a structured informal recruitment? Are a lot of chapters under total?
Old 09-11-2002, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You can have another formal recruitment if every house is under total... I believe. (that would be the only way it would make sense to have another formal anyway) But if there is one house that is already at total, they shouldnt' be allowed to participate. Which means every house just has to COB for themselves. I know at my school where no house is a total we've discussed doing another formal rush in spring, but usually end up doing structured informal where you basically follow all the rules about bids at the end of the week etc... there's no pref parties and only the first night the ladies have to visit all the chapters, other than that they can to to any orgs party they want, and each org has three parties.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Total at NSU (where Justhey attends school) is 65 members. Quota during formal recruitment was 25. I'm on the advisory board for my Sigma chapter at NSU, and none of the ladies have mentioned this to me...I'll have to ask them about it tonight when I go up for meeting. I can't imagine this happening...we came back this year 2 members under total (63), and I think all but one chapter on campus came back with that number or close to it as well. Plus, 3 out of 4 groups on campus made quota during formal recruitment. I'll have to find out more tonight, but I don't see how this can be allowed under NPC rules. Maybe they're talking about having a more structured informal recruitment in the spring?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I just found out, we ARE going to have another formal rush in the spring. Even though we were against it, I guess the other groups must have been for it or something. This is going to be wierd I think. I'll post more when i find out more.