GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,375
1 members and 2,374 guests
zatylerahvso465

Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Joining a colony is extremely difficult. When I joined mine, they revealed that less than half of the women expressing interest were accepted. They said they liked leaders, academic achievers, and women who truly wanted to find a home with the other women, so while I can't say that's what all colonies look for, that's what helped all of us join.

As for actually being a part of one, it is a lot of work, as all the other commentators have stated. Not only do the leaders in the group have to work on running the colony, but you and your sisters have to work on creating those bonds that other chapters have been nurturing for decades. I'm fortunate enough that most of my sisters are outgoing, but regardless getting to know them is a huge amount of work. You're not just getting to know one small pledge class, you're getting to know the entire chapter, ideally, and that's not even considering campus culture/other greeks. Plus you have to work around everyone else's schedules (which are extremely hectic since most of might not have intended joining in the first place.)

As scary or intimidating as this sounds though, I honestly feel like it was worth it. It is scary being a part of a colony, but the bonds you make as a founding sister are genuine. Like you said, no one feels pressure to "be" a certain way, because our nationals picked us because they saw something within our own personalities/goals. So if you feel like this is something you truly want to pursue, than go for it!

Granted, I do agree with everyone else. Check out the informal recruitment--maybe your home is among the two that you dropped from? Give them a chance, before you decide to go for the colony. Maximize options and make sure you didn't cut them off too soon. If you end up feeling that they also weren't for you, check the colony out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if some abrupt changes like the one the OP mentioned sometimes happen because a new Greek Life Director is hired and she is trying to do things the way they were done where she went to school undergrad. In other words, they're trying to force their way of doing things in a region or campus where it's not the norm.

True and Constant
Old 10-16-2015, 09:47 AM

I don't think a Greek Life director can force a dress code. Even if she did, and the chapters decided it was bs and all showed up in jeans, how could there be repercussions? I've heard of infractions for too many frills, but never the other way around.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The CHAPTERS might tell them where they can shove their stupid ideas about dress code, but the rushees are either going to play along, so as not to hurt their chances, or drop out because it just isn't for them.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:14 PM

I'm just stating that I doubt very much that a GL director could force this with zero support, for rushees or chapters.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If you do not mind, I am stepping into this post and going, You have to be kidding me!

I seem to feel that is the same old cooky cutting old school ideas that Sororities are known for. Women are like men, we do not all look, dress, or act alike. We each are different. Remember with todays cost of everyting it can be a hardship for your members. So who would like to live with this over their head and not be a member who is outstanding person who would be lost.

Thank goodness I am a guy so we do not have to go through all of this dressing up stuff to fit in and be the same as all of the rest. We have on occasions very dressy events where one can wear a dark suit or a Tux.

As to joining a new colony, I started a local that became a colony of LXA with in one school year. What a feeling that was and to see where we are today. It was and is truly rewarding to say I was a big part of it!

The very best of luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni