GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,840
Threads: 114,781
Posts: 2,159,167
Welcome to our newest member, gruielu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
InterestedGirl InterestedGirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Question Being too open during recruitment?

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker on the site and have read all of the recruitment advice regarding being yourself, being open-minded, and being honest, and I couldn't agree with all of that more (why would I want to join a group that doesn't love and accept me for me?).

But just out of curiosity, can you ever be too open and honest? For example, I am absolutely in love with a specific sorority and I plan to attend their informal recruitment event soon. I have also done a lot of personal research on the sorority (it just seemed natural to do before making a potentially life-long commitment like this).
Would it seem weird or inappropriate to mention these facts to the sisters during recruitment? I'm not really sure what to say because I want to show them that I am very interested and ask them questions, but I already know about their philanthropy, values, etc.

And on a complete side-note, what do you all consider to be dressing "casually" as far as recruitment goes? I was planning to wear a nice, but simple top, jeans (no tears or anything), and some nice flats...is that too simple? I wear that outfit all of the time (to class, hanging out, etc.) and didn't know if casual meant something different during recruitment times.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM
PhiSigStarlight PhiSigStarlight is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
I don't think that it would be a bad thing at all! Have you interacted with this sorority before? Make sure you get along with the girls too and don't just like the sorority in general. I'm interested in a lot of sororities' history, philanthropy, etc, but I wouldn't favor a certain group based on that alone.

But anyway, if I met a PNM who already knew about our values, philanthropy, and everything, I would personally be pretty impressed with them. I think you should mention something to them about how you looked into them by finding about their values and such and that you really liked them. I don't think it would go against them or seem weird at all.

Sororities do look at how a person presents themselves with their appearance. Not in the sense that you have to look like a supermodel, but that you look nice & presentable. For a COB, the outfit you described would be just fine.
__________________
ΦΣΣ Γ Γ
Phi Sigma Sigma
Gamma Gamma Chapter

Class of Fall 2009
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,282
different people react differently. PhiSigStarlight would be impressed, but to other people you might come across as stalkerish. i would recommend not coming on too strong at your first event and definately try to get a feel for the
person who is your host before you share your innermost feelings with her. pace yourself!

additionally, don't put all your eggs in one basket. if any other sororities are holding cob events, why not check them out too? if it fits into your schedule, why not attend as many first night parties are you can, just to make sure that this sorority is the best fit for you?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-27-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Gusteau Gusteau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,788
Try reading this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=102192

I had a guy come through in the fall who knew some Delta Chi facts and some personal information about me from our chapter website - I'm all about research, but I did not react well to this. He had a lot of other redeeming qualities and got a bid but I wouldn't risk it.
__________________
"Delta Chi is not a weekend or once-a-year affair but a lifelong opportunity and privilege"
- Albert Sullard Barnes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
i vote with FSUZeta. I think you should temper what you say - it could come across kind of stalkerish. You might wait until the second COB event. It might make sense to have learned some more facts about a group after attending one of their events. Then you could talk about one or two things you learned - like the philanthropy.
Just don't make yourself look like a walking XYZ knowledge book. It is their group - you are a guest so you don't want to appear as if you are already in the group and know everything the members do. Again, as said above, "pace yourself!"
my two cents...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
ComradesTrue ComradesTrue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
different people react differently.
This.

And different chapters and different campuses react differently too. And different people within the same chapter, and different chapters within the same campus will react differently.

The problem with asking for advice with recruitment on the internet is that while there are a few universal answers, most questions will yeild as many different answers as individuals, chapters and campuses that are out there. What PhiSig said clearly works for her and possibly her chapter, but for me and my chapter it would have been a little over the top.

Go to the event. Smile. Converse. Have fun and let that show. Pace yourself and definitely "read" the person that you are talking to. If it looks like your enthusiam is coming across as stalkerish, then it probably is.

Also, part of being "open-minded," which you claim to be, means looking at all the chapters. Not just the one that you think is the best for you. Remember, the ladies in the chapter get a say too.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
This.

And different chapters and different campuses react differently too. And different people within the same chapter, and different chapters within the same campus will react differently.

The problem with asking for advice with recruitment on the internet is that while there are a few universal answers, most questions will yeild as many different answers as individuals, chapters and campuses that are out there. What PhiSig said clearly works for her and possibly her chapter, but for me and my chapter it would have been a little over the top.

Go to the event. Smile. Converse. Have fun and let that show. Pace yourself and definitely "read" the person that you are talking to. If it looks like your enthusiam is coming across as stalkerish, then it probably is.

Also, part of being "open-minded," which you claim to be, means looking at all the chapters. Not just the one that you think is the best for you. Remember, the ladies in the chapter get a say too.

Best of luck.

I could not agree more with FSU Zeta, Gee Ess, Gusteau, and Blondie93.

Consider that your enthusiasm and research might be ratcheted down a notch or two. Relax and focus on being a good listener when engaged in conversation. That is a skill that can be learned and the person you're talking with will think you are fascinating. Honest! It works!

Keep an open mind, please. I started recruitment thinking that I wanted to be a QRS and then ended up with ABC and XYZ at preference, which was a total shock, since I did not think I had a snowball's chance in hades with either house. Who knew?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,631
Good: "I saw that your philanthropy is Special Olympics. I've helped with SO events before, I really enjoyed it - do you do a lot of activities with the local SO organization?"

Bad: "I read your core values on your website and they are so similar to how I live my own life. My favorite core value is integrity...I live this every day by {insert long winded example here}."

Echoing everyone who says if there are other sororities holding informal events, attend those as well. This sorority may look great from a distance/on paper, but actually interacting with the women might be another story. In other words:



Don't do this.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
mittens mittens is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 198
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedGirl View Post
Hello! I'm a long-time lurker on the site and have read all of the recruitment advice regarding being yourself, being open-minded, and being honest, and I couldn't agree with all of that more (why would I want to join a group that doesn't love and accept me for me?).

But just out of curiosity, can you ever be too open and honest? For example, I am absolutely in love with a specific sorority and I plan to attend their informal recruitment event soon. I have also done a lot of personal research on the sorority (it just seemed natural to do before making a potentially life-long commitment like this).
Would it seem weird or inappropriate to mention these facts to the sisters during recruitment? I'm not really sure what to say because I want to show them that I am very interested and ask them questions, but I already know about their philanthropy, values, etc.

And on a complete side-note, what do you all consider to be dressing "casually" as far as recruitment goes? I was planning to wear a nice, but simple top, jeans (no tears or anything), and some nice flats...is that too simple? I wear that outfit all of the time (to class, hanging out, etc.) and didn't know if casual meant something different during recruitment times.

Thanks in advance!
Hey! I PMed you

My opinion is that if someone talked to me about my sorority's history/facts, I would be flattered, but at the same time a little concerned that you might not be keeping your options open to any other sorority that is doing informal recruitment. It kind of rings, I want to be a XYZ and nothing else! I wouldn't bring up any facts about the sorority. Especially, if you did not go through formal recruitment, this is your first time meeting them. Get to know as many members as possible, try to leave open-ended answers, and be a good listener. You can learn everything about their philanthropy, facts, symbols, but that won't get you a bid -- getting to know the members that make up the chapter is the key.
__________________
ΦΣΘ
Phi Sigma Theta




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
AOEforme AOEforme is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: With Germs and a Lack of Sleep
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
i vote with FSUZeta. I think you should temper what you say - it could come across kind of stalkerish. You might wait until the second COB event. It might make sense to have learned some more facts about a group after attending one of their events. Then you could talk about one or two things you learned - like the philanthropy.
Just don't make yourself look like a walking XYZ knowledge book. It is their group - you are a guest so you don't want to appear as if you are already in the group and know everything the members do. Again, as said above, "pace yourself!"
my two cents...
This. We had a girl attend a COB event. At the next event (which was a philanthropy event), she mentioned how she loved our international philanthropy. At another event, she remarked how she loved my t-shirt and this led into a discussion about how she loved our colors.

Once she was going through her new member education program, we found out she had extensively researched the international organization. However, she didn't do anything psycho like pre-emptively memorizing all 27 of our founder's names.

Also important to point out is that she didn't just randomly throw out facts. They fit into the flow of the conversation. If you mention anything about the org, make SURE that it fits in with what you are talking about. Otherwise, you come across as a stalker/bragger.

Good luck!
__________________
My Heart will always be with Alpha Omega E.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Alumiyum Alumiyum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 2,170
Mentioning one MAYBE two facts you've learned wouldn't be a bad thing. Choose fun facts that are obvious and easy to find, like the philanthropy, mascot, etc. Revealing you know their founders, year of founding, songs, etc. might be a little much. The clothes depend on campus culture. I appreciated COB PNM's that had obviously taken the effort to look nice (because a sister will reflect on me, too, so being well groomed whenever possible is appropriate and a plus), but thought the ones that had badly overdressed were trying to hard, whether that was fair or not. Many wore jeans and cute shoes and a cute top to our COB's. Not going out clothes, just cute clothes you'd wear to go shopping, for instance. Basically, don't spend four hours doing your hair and make up and buy new clothes, but do look like you've bothered to pick out an outfit and brush your hair. But again, that depends on the campus. The majority of chapters on mine weren't so much interested in brand names or physical beauty so much as an "I at least try" attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
APhiAnna APhiAnna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 318
Oh man, I have to admit that if a PNM was spouting off facts to me about my own sorority I would be majorly creeped out.

I agree if you have a previous connection to the philanthropy then it is OK to mention, but don't overdo it. Pretty much anything else I would be really turned off by...founders, creeds/symphonies/mission statements, history, etc.

It's not the knowledge in and of itself, but more the fact that in NPC recruitment (unlike NPHC, for example) research on a sorority is not required at all. So the fact that somebody "did their research" would come off as the PNM trying to manipulate the chapter to giving them a bid.

In theory I guess it SHOULD be commendable to the PNM for doing the research and complimentary to the chapter that the PNMs care so much. However in practice, since 99.99% of the PNMs are not talking about those details, it will come off stalkerish and manipulative to at least enough members that it may hurt your chances.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,917
The knowledge isn't an issue, it's how it's used.

It's fine to know things like about the sorority (that are public knowledge of course), but no one is going to appreciate it if you come to the party and they're trying to tell you about (for example) their philanthrpy and you cut them off and say something like "Oh I already know."

That makes you look like a know-it-all.

So just use your best judgement here.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
PhiSigStarlight PhiSigStarlight is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
I agree with everyone that it depends on how you would show that you knew information, and what kind of information you talked about. KSUViolet06 is right in saying that it's how the knowledge is used.
__________________
ΦΣΣ Γ Γ
Phi Sigma Sigma
Gamma Gamma Chapter

Class of Fall 2009
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
You can learn everything about their philanthropy, facts, symbols, but that won't get you a bid -- getting to know the members that make up the chapter is the key.
THIS!!!!!!!

Don't worry so much about what you can tell them about THEIR organization. I personally wouldn't be "impressed" if someone looked up information about my sorority before recruitment. It's online. With just a few clicks on the national website, you (or anyone) could know anything they want to know about AST.

If you want to look up the info for your own personal knowledge, go for it! But I'm willing to bet that no NPC chapter's membership selection process includes a stipulation that a PNM must know a certain amount of information pertaining to the sorority in order to receive a bid.

If you have a genuine question about something, then ask it. "I understand your philanthropy is ______. What do you do to support that cause throughout the school year?" That's fine. But don't start reciting their creed, or brag because you already know about things that they tell you during the recruitment events.

Just be yourself, let the conversation flow, and don't worry so much about how much you know about the sorority.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If/When to accept a bid during open recruitment... openrecruitee Sorority Recruitment 4 09-09-2009 12:56 PM
open recruitment sourskittles Sorority Recruitment 3 09-17-2007 05:03 PM
Help With Open Recruitment Ideas browncrayon Phi Mu 9 10-03-2006 12:12 AM
Open Recruitment GreekLove Recruitment 11 02-07-2005 10:52 AM
continous open recruitment FSUZeta Alumni Involvement 12 10-06-2004 06:13 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.