GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,680
3 members and 1,677 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 06-08-2008, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs-dz View Post
Yeah, it cracks me up that there is a University of Phoenix stadium when there is no football team. University of Phoenix is a for-profit university that has several locations across the country, as well as internet offerings.
OK. My question is, wasn't the University of Phoenix at one time a "normal" university? And then later it transitioned to being a for-profit internet school?

How big is the main campus in Phoenix? What is student enrollment?

And what do they use the stadium for? Hosting concerts and stuff?

ETA: OK, I looked at their website and realized the Cardinals play in the stadium. And it appears they were founded in '76 as a nontraditional university for working students...

It doesn't even really seem that they have a real campus in Phoenix, or at least I can't really find mention of it on the site.

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 06-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
OK. My question is, wasn't the University of Phoenix at one time a "normal" university? And then later it transitioned to being a for-profit internet school?

How big is the main campus in Phoenix? What is student enrollment?

The stadium is used for the Arizona Cardinals and the Fiesta Bowl.

And it looks like they have multiple campuses in Phoenix. I don't see any links to a flagship campus on their website.

ETA: Looks like you found the info too

Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
And it looks like they have multiple campuses in Phoenix. I don't see any links to a flagship campus on their website.
Yeah, but for these kinds of schools, a "campus" usually consists of a few floors of an office building or a rented area in a shopping center. I was thinking that maybe there was an original real campus in Phoenix, but it doesn't appear that way.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, but for these kinds of schools, a "campus" usually consists of a few floors of an office building or a rented area in a shopping center. I was thinking that maybe there was an original real campus in Phoenix, but it doesn't appear that way.
Oh yea, I knew that. But looking at the site, I didn't see anything that said "Downtown Phoenix" or "Phoenix Main" or anything that would indicate that they had a traditional campus in the city.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
wooww!!!
Collegeboard.com lied to me!!
Thanks though... I have to start looking for other options now!!
Wait... you have to start looking for other college options or you have to start looking for other Greek life options? It looks like you're already Greek from your signature...??

ETA: So looking at the College Board website, it does indeed list sororities and fraternities as part of campus life at the University of Phoenix. Heh. I don't know if they let universities self-report that information, which could explain the problem. Maybe they have honorary fraternities?

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.co...40&profileId=8

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 06-08-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Oh yea, I knew that. But looking at the site, I didn't see anything that said "Downtown Phoenix" or "Phoenix Main" or anything that would indicate that they had a traditional campus in the city.
Yeah. Well, according to other people who've posted on this thread, they do have a real campus in Phoenix - I just can't find any trace of it on their website. I'm guessing it's the Phoenix Hohokam Campus, as every other location in Phoenix Metro is listed as a "learning center" and not a campus. But it does seem like that if it's like a real campus with buildings, trees, etc., they'd at least promote it a little bit on their website. So maybe it's industrial/unattractive. Who knows?

http://www.phoenix.edu/campus_locati...locations.aspx

ETA: I see that their location in Austin is also called a "campus" and it's just an office suite off Mo-pac. So who knows what "campus" means to the University of Phoenix, as contrasted with a "learning center."

To the OP, if you can get into ASU and your schedule permits, and particularly if you're seeking a BA, I think you'll have a much better educational experience at ASU.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
ETA: So looking at the College Board website, it does indeed list sororities and fraternities as part of campus life at the University of Phoenix. Heh. I don't know if they let universities self-report that information, which could explain the problem. Maybe they have honorary fraternities?
I think I see the confusion with the college board site .. there's a note at the top of the category saying that a check mark indicates availability and then lists all activities ... no check marks means not available.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
yes, there is an actual campus in Phoenix. I believe its more of their headquarters there.
Yes, there is a campus. My sister got her Masters in Health Care Administration from there last year.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The stadium doesn't belong to the Univ of Phoenix. They simply own the naming rights to the Arizona Cardinals stadium.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Yes, there is a campus. My sister got her Masters in Health Care Administration from there last year.
there is a Univ. of Phoenix campus here too
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, live in Phx, my friend went to U of P for her undergrad and grad work.

They have, I would guess 5-7 buildings around 32nd street and I-10. They have, I would say an equal amount on both the north and the south side of the freeway. They also have buildings throughout the Phoenix Metro area (Ahwatukee, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, etc...).

As people have mentioned they aren't a traditional college. It is for working adults. The classes are every 5 weeks. My friend owes more for her undergrad and her grad than I do for my undergrad, 1st masters and now my 2nd masters. But U of P worked for her because she was working full-time and taking her classes in the evening, which is what U of P is all about.

U of P owns the name for the stadium (as previously stated). There was a whole bidding war on what the stadium would be named. I call it UPS. It is home to the Cardinals and Fiesta Bowl. It has concerts, graduations and has hosted the National Championship and Super Bowl. They also do the weekend things (like the Bridal shows, Womens' Expo, etc...). It's a nice stadium, I've only ever got to see it at my friends graduation. (Mainly because since the stadium has opened Cardinal tickets have been sold out and I also don't want to be the exorbant amount to watch the Cardinals lose, yes I of ye little faith for my home team).

To the OP, if you are wanting a traditional college in AZ, your choices are U of A, ASU and even possibly Grand Canyon. U of A and ASU both are state universities, huge campuses (ASU is about 60-70 thousand students and U of A is about 50-60 thousand, although I tried searching the official school sites and I couldn't find accurate data, maybe someone else can).

Grand Canyon University is a private Christian college, no Greek life (that I know of) and your cost will be more due to 1) it being private and 2) out of state (but out of state will be said for the other two universities as well).

As for Greek Life, I consider both strong (since I attended both schools) but they vary.

U of A: the sororities have houses. So the cost is going to go up considerably because you will be paying for a house and meals. The chapter total is around 180 (that is how many girls we can recruit this fall), but some chapters are going to be well over 180 women, some will be in the 200's. There are also some struggling chapters down there that will be in the 50's. I'm not saying either is good or bad, I'm just laying down the facts. Also, you will be required to live in the house. The length of time will be dependent on the sorority and the needs. Average would be 1-2 years.

Here is the link to U of A greek life: http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/greek/

The website isn't updated, but ADPi will be recolonizing U of A this fall.

ASU: the sororities have a dorm, Adelphi Commons. The cost will be less than a house and you won't be paying for meals, but you will be paying for a dorm. I believe total is 120 at ASU. I also believe most chapters are at or above total. (I really know more about ADPi since I help with recruitment). You would also be required to live in the dorm. Again, I believe it is 1-2 years (although I think they do semesters, 2-4 semesters). The chapters will vary in price for their dues, but they will be considerably less than U of A.

Here is the link to ASU greek life: http://www.asu.edu/studentaffairs/mu/greeklife/

Both schools have positives and negatives to their greek lifes, without question I think all schools do.

But your statement of "looking for other options" shouldn't revolve around greek life. You should be looking for a school that best suits your needs for the education that you want and the degree that you want, not which has the best greek life.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Okay, live in Phx, my friend went to U of P for her undergrad and grad work.

They have, I would guess 5-7 buildings around 32nd street and I-10. They have, I would say an equal amount on both the north and the south side of the freeway. They also have buildings throughout the Phoenix Metro area (Ahwatukee, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, etc...).

To the OP, if you are wanting a traditional college in AZ, your choices are U of A, ASU and even possibly Grand Canyon. U of A and ASU both are state universities, huge campuses (ASU is about 60-70 thousand students and U of A is about 50-60 thousand, although I tried searching the official school sites and I couldn't find accurate data, maybe someone else can).
I always see the signs off the 10 and all over Phoenix. They seem to have lots of places around for classes.

Don't forget about Northern Arizona University! We have quite a few women from our NAU chapter.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinChicaDDD View Post
I always see the signs off the 10 and all over Phoenix. They seem to have lots of places around for classes.

Don't forget about Northern Arizona University! We have quite a few women from our NAU chapter.
Your right I completely forgot about NAU!

NAU has a good greek system from what I've heard. They aren't very big. I think only a couple hundred girls rush. The sororities and fraternities live in a dorm, Mountain View. So some as ASU in terms that you would be living in a dorm. My former roommate went to NAU, I think she said that she had to live in the dorm 4 semesters.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post

Grand Canyon University is a private Christian college, no Greek life (that I know of) and your cost will be more due to 1) it being private and 2) out of state (but out of state will be said for the other two universities as well).
I'm going to grad school online at Grand Canyon. When I first joined the GCU network on facebook, I found this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2202984507
Sigma Alpha Omega, christian sorority. Of course, the group has 2 members - so I'm really not sure what's going on with them.

I also found this: http://www.sigmaalphaomega.org/ which didnt mention anything about GCU, so...who knows?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a student at University of Phoenix online and I want to join the undergrad chapter of AKA in Charlotte NC but I don't know where to start. Any Ideas?