GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,244
2 members and 2,242 guests
oncegreek, SilverTurtle

Old 09-24-2001, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Thanks, Canada

I completely understand Canadians being upset about being left out of Bush's speech. I, for one, am very grateful for all the help and friendship that Canada has given the USA through the years.

However, I'm sure that leaving Canada's name out of the address was an unintentional oversight on a speech writer's part. There were probably many things (and many countries) left out of that speech that should have been included. However, hindsight is 20/20, and Powell obviously tried to make up for the slight to Canada as soon as possible.

One thing I'd like to mention: Bush noted Britain's losses in particular, not because we value Britain's friendship over Canada's, but mainly because the Prime Minister of Britain was visiting the President during his speech. Had there been a Canadian politician present that night instead of a British politician, Canada's losses would have been inserted into the speech instead. The speechwriters were simply trying to give credit and kudos first and foremost to the people in the room during the time of Bush's address because that's standard political etiquette.

Again, I'm not trying to make light of the fact that Canada was left out --- I just want to give a possible reason for why it happened.

Thanks to ALL of America's allies. You are invaluable to us and we are forever greatful!

Side note: I also noticed Hillary's lack of decorum during the speech. Regardless of her feelings about who was giving the speech, she should know better than to act as disrespectfully as she did. To me, she seemed untouched by the seriousness of the address -- which was quite shocking considering the fact that she is a representative of the state which was hit hardest by the attacks. If I was a New Yorker, I believe I would have been both outraged and saddened by her apparent lack of interest.

Last edited by dzrose93; 09-24-2001 at 12:05 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2001, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with James points on this. Bush did not write his speech. In fact no president writes this own speeches. The speech Bush gave was written by Michael Gerson, age 37. Bill Clinton didn't write his own speeches either, David Kusnet was Clinton's chief speech writer '92-'93 and Terry Edmunds wrote for him as well. James is also correct about the use of 'victims' for dramatic effect. Clinton was famous for parading the parents of shooting victims around at every opportunity to promote more gun control legislation or the actions of his Attorney General. He also attempted to get mileage out of former Air Force pilot Scott O'Grady who was shot down over Bosnia then rescued. The O'Grady family has nothing but comtempt for the Clinton's.

The actions of Hillary made her the talk of the nation the next day. There are stories of her being the dominate topic of radio talk shows the next day. Imus reamed her good for it and it was THE topic all day in Texas and Oklahoma.