GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 864
0 members and 864 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

PacificOtter, the state schools in California are very different from schools around the country in that they are very open to junior transfers. At a Big 10 or SEC school, for instance, I would almost say don't bother (not exactly because there are always possibilities), but at a CA school, I don't see a problem. Keep your grades up, stay involved, have leadership positions, keep your reputation clean (news carries), and I would think you would do fine at a UC or CSU school. As far as joining a MCG chapter, that could be tricky. A local might be an easier transition. Or possibly you could find some other non-Greek letter organizations to give your time to and not muddy the waters.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Navane! I totally misread the post. I need to not post online early in the morning, especially since I have bronchitis. Wheeee.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rileykae
So updating this post before it was so kindly hijacked (not that I'm mad or anything, advice is advice) - I am in the process of talking with my school's panhellenic council re: the requirements for expansion if Beta Sigma Phi were to be brought in. I'm still patiently waiting for someone to get back to me.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I really hope that your school gets back to you ASAP, Rileykae. The wait is probably grueling. I can't even imagine what you're going through. Best of luck and well wishes! ^_^
Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Tax questions

So in order to even be considered for Greek life at my school, BSP has to be something called Title IX Exempt (it's a ton of legal wording that comes down to not paying certain taxes.)

I have emailed international the question about its tax status (well, forwarded an email from our student activities director) and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Worse comes to worse, if we aren't allowed to join our school's phc or mgc, I will register the group as a special interest or professional one and will continue from there.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileykae View Post
So in order to even be considered for Greek life at my school, BSP has to be something called Title IX Exempt (it's a ton of legal wording that comes down to not paying certain taxes.)

I have emailed international the question about its tax status (well, forwarded an email from our student activities director) and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Worse comes to worse, if we aren't allowed to join our school's phc or mgc, I will register the group as a special interest or professional one and will continue from there.
Beta Sigma Phi isn't Tax Exempt. https://bspinternational.org/member_home.php if you scroll to the bottom of the page explains a bit.

Some information that might help you:

I've run into some chapters and Beta Sigma Phi City Councils that were able to obtain 501c7 status (which most sororities are) and is more than sufficient to prove Title IX eligibility if needed. What is needed to obtain this classification and the timeline it can take, I have no real idea.

I'll do some research on this for you and let you (and the rest of GC) know what I find out.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am located in a different state than you but did speak at length with an attorney in my state who works with Non Profit organizations as well other kinds of social clubs that fall under 501c7.

The form that you will need to ultimately submit to the IRS is a 1024. It's about 25 pages long and is extremely extensive. Check out the IRS website for this Schedule 1024 and read it carefully before getting started.

Her advice: Get professional advisement. An attorney, CPA or someone in that realm.
The IRS takes time in reaching a determination, and you want to ensure that your paperwork is in order when you submit it to them.

There are also steps that you must take, records that you must have on hand before you get to the point of submitting the 1024. Contacting a professional first is key.

Something that came to mind for me: Is this Friendly Venture chapter that you're working on creating official with International yet?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

MissCherryPie - No, the chapter isn't official yet. I was trying to get it /at/ my school as a sorority to recruit to /make/ the venture official, a mistake that is obvious now to me as I realized BSP is not a traditional sorority in what most schools consider.

Turns out, my co-venturer Jackie has thought it better if we take the advice from the email and instead

1. create the chapter outside of any college/university campus (calling it the general /insert city/ area will do for now we hope)
2. have meetings and events at locations central to most members.
3. spread interest for the forming chapter through various college campuses that are in the general area of our city.

After replying to international with that 'plan of attack' they did say that would be easier , (and I think they're right given how my school isn't exactly open to new greek life and has limited student org functions during the year and paperwork involved) and I think so too.

This way, because we are not associated with any one campus in my city, it enables us to help a larger part of the community in whatever form our events take by allowing more people to attend.

For now, Jackie and I are working on contacting the student organization leaders of each school we'd like to spread the word to about when we could possibly set flyers up and where for the school year.

We're only looking at three schools to start, two very small ones and the one I currently attend. Outside that as a start to recruitment we're looking at important women in our life that may be a valuable addition to Beta Sigma Phi.

We are aiming for atleast fifteen to twenty women for our first round of recruitment, does that sound reasonable?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

It does, especially if you're working on trying to attract potential sisters from more than one school.

Asking a friend to bring a friend seems to be very much how my own land chapter began bringing together our founding sisters.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry my process and this thread is so cluttered. I'll report back when any of the schools get back to us about recruiting there, in the meantime I'm creating rush flyers and pretty things like that to use in addition to the materials international sent with the FV packet.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Good going! I look forward to your updates.