GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,012
1 members and 2,011 guests
fmanning

Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Home's WHAT? I'm dying to know what it is that belongs to " home".
slang for homeboy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Did you really just explain slang? I'm sure SWXTBelle knows that particular slang.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Did you really just explain slang? I'm sure SWXTBelle knows that particular slang.
She asked, so I replied to her question.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

If I ask what "Iota Man" means, will you take me seriously and give a serious answer? Please don't. LOL.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Not necessarily.

There are plenty of people who will refer to a church as "their church," especially if it's the one they attended as a child, or if their family's celebrations of life (christenings, funerals, and weddings) take place there. Sometimes they even know who the pastor is and are familiar with him. Imagine that!

Nitpickiness has its place, but it's not here, it seems.
Again, what he said was "the church I attend." Present tense verb.

Look, I will readily admit that I can nitpick the day away for sport. That's not what I was trying to do here. Here, I was remembering a conversation he and I had that suggested at least somewhat regular church attendance. That seemed worth bringing up since he was saying he's only been to church a couple of times to counter Dr.Phil's response ("Hello contradiction.") to his posts. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota Man View Post
She asked, so I replied to her question.
She asked why you keep putting an apostrophe -- which either indicates omitted letters of a word or indicates a possessive -- in "home's." The word is "homes."
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

How sexy is it that MysticCat is teaching slang.

Boomchickawowwow!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
How sexy is it that MysticCat is teaching slang.

Boomchickawowwow!!!!
Just for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Again, what he said was "the church I attend." Present tense verb.
This doesn't make any sense. You did a search on a past tense post I made months ago, and then turn around and call it present tense. The post I made yesterday (now past tense) was present. Meaning, once again, I haven't been church since I was a kid and maybe a couple of times as an adult.

Quote:
She asked why you keep putting an apostrophe -- which either indicates omitted letters of a word or indicates a possessive -- in "home's." The word is "homes."
You and I had this conversation before. I told you I didn't give a shit at the time, and I still don't give a shit...home's.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. You did a search on a past tense post I made months ago, and then turn around and call it present tense. The post I made yesterday (now past tense) was present.
Say what? "Past tense post"? A post from yesterday is now "past tense"? I'm talking about verb tenses. What in the name of McGuffey are you talking about?

"Attend" is present tense. "Attended" is past tense. "Will attend" is future tense. That's not going to change no matter how old the post is.

But thanks for the laughs.

Quote:
You and I had this conversation before. I told you I didn't give a shit at the time, and I still don't give a shit...home's.
Obviously, but that's beside the point that every time somebody asks what that apostrophe is doing there, you respond by telling them what the word means because "they asked."

RIF . . . homes.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was remembering a conversation he and I had that suggested at least somewhat regular church attendance. That seemed worth bringing up since he was saying he's only been to church a couple of times to counter Dr.Phil's response ("Hello contradiction.") to his posts. That is all..
LOL so you were remembering a conversation you and I had from a post in the past, and then call it present. So if at the time I mentioned a church, my church, that I attend, means I'm still attending? It doesn't dumbass.
Quote:
"Attend" is present tense. "Attended" is past tense. "Will attend" is future tense. That's not going to change no matter how old the post is..
What you still aren't getting is that you brought up a post I posted in the past which means at the time, and then turn around and call it present.

Quote:
But thanks for the laughs.
I'm over here CTFU @ your dumbass because your post doesn't make any sense...home's.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL so you were remembering a conversation you and I had from a post in the past, and then call it present. So if at the time I mentioned a church, my church, that I attend, means I'm still attending? It doesn't dumbass.

What you still aren't getting is that you brought up a post I posted in the past which means at the time, and then turn around and call it present.
LOL yourself at you not understanding the difference between saying you used the present tense of a verb in an old post and saying that previous post is now somehow in the present.

I don't why, but I'll try one more time and then I'm done. I never said anything about whether you attend church now. When Dr.Phil said you were contradicting yourself, you said you've only been to church a couple of times in adulthood. I linked to two posts from 6 months ago where you mention the church you "attend" (present tense of the verb), where you mention your "current" pastor and where you say you will ask that pastor about something and see what he says. One can reasonably take these posts to mean that when you posted them 6 months ago -- which presumably was during adulthood -- you were attending church often at least enough to be having some conversations with your "current" pastor about the theological issues that were the topics of those posts. That seemed to contradict your statement in this thread that you have only been a couple of times in adulthood. Nothing about what you are doing now, just earlier statements from you that suggest more than a couple of times in adulthood. That is all. Nothing more.

I swear, it's like going through the looking-glass and trying to have a conversation with Humpty-Dumpty.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, I had assumed he had meant "Holmes" - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Holmes, the usage with which I am familiar. I was aware of the use of "homie" as a shortened form of "homeboy" but not "homes". Who says GC isn't educational?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL yourself at you not understanding the difference between saying you used the present tense of a verb in an old post and saying that previous post is now somehow in the present.
No, what's funny as hell is you're relying on your own dumbass assumptions, like I said earlier, assuming that what I said in the past still applies to now, when it doesn't.

Quote:
I don't why, but I'll try one more time and then I'm done.
LOL I don't know why you started this shit in the first place. This would have never even gotten started if you would have just come to me and said some shit like "I remember a conversation we had a while ago, that you go to church regularly". I probably would have said I go once or twice a year, which goes back to what I said to The Doc. But what you wanted to do, as you seem to do often do to folks on here is try to call me out some shit that you made an assumption about.

Quote:
I never said anything about whether you attend church now. When Dr.Phil said you were contradicting yourself, you said you've only been to church a couple of times in adulthood. I linked to two posts from 6 months ago where you mention the church you "attend" (present tense of the verb), where you mention your "current" pastor and where you say you will ask that pastor about something and see what he says.
You linked two post from 6 months ago, which is in the past. I can say something 6 months ago that applies to that time which would be present (at that time), and come back and say something totally different today, which wouldn't apply to the past. I said I've been a couple of times as an adult. Did it ever dawn on you that during that time one of the times could have been then? And folks can say they go to a church and mention their pastor as being their current pastor while at the same time haven't been to church in 2 years. That's another part of this discussion you don't seem to understand.

Quote:
One can reasonably take these posts to mean that when you posted them 6 months ago -- which presumably was during adulthood -- you were attending church often at least enough to be having some conversations with your "current" pastor about the theological issues that were the topics of those posts. That seemed to contradict your statement in this thread that you have only been a couple of times in adulthood. Nothing about what you are doing now, just earlier statements from you that suggest more than a couple of times in adulthood. That is all. Nothing more.
No, once again, you made an assumption. Instead of pulling up a 6 month old post from an old ass thread, making an attempt to call me out, while at the same time adding "roll eyes", you should have just asked me do I still attend, based on our past conversation. Like I said, I haven't been to church since I was a kid, and a couple of times as an adult. Same pastor, same church home I was brought up in. Just because a mofo says he goes to church, talks about his pastor as if dude is current, doesn't mean he/she goes all the time, which is what Munchkin03 was trying to tell you, but you disregarded her post, too. We can go on and on with this shit, and still never come to an agreement. You can bring up past tense verbs and any other dumb shit you want to bring up to cover yourself, you're still wrong, either way.

Last edited by Iota Man; 07-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
FWIW, I had assumed he had meant "Holmes" - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Holmes, the usage with which I am familiar. I was aware of the use of "homie" as a shortened form of "homeboy" but not "homes". Who says GC isn't educational?
I stand corrected.

Quote:
No, what's funny as hell is you're relying on your own dumbass assumptions, like I said earlier, assuming that what I said in the past still applies to now, when it doesn't.

LOL I don't know why you started this shit in the first place. This would have never even gotten started if you would have just come to me and said some shit like "I remember a conversation we had a while ago, that you go to church regularly". I probably would have said I go once or twice a year, which goes back to what I said to The Doc. But what you wanted to do, as you seem to do often do to folks on here is try to call me out some shit that you made an assumption about.

You linked two post from 6 months ago, which is in the past. I can say something 6 months ago that applies to that time which would be present (at that time), and come back and say something totally different today, which wouldn't apply to the past. I said I've been a couple of times as an adult. Did it ever dawn on you that during that time one of the times could have been then? And folks can say they go to a church and mention their pastor as being their current pastor while at the same time haven't been to church in 2 years. That's another part of this discussion you don't seem to understand.

No, once again, you made an assumption. Instead of pulling up a 6 month old post from an old ass thread, making an attempt to call me out, while at the same time adding "roll eyes", you should have just asked me do I still attend, based on our past conversation. Like I said, I haven't been to church since I was a kid, and a couple of times as an adult. Same pastor, same church home I was brought up in. Just because a mofo says he goes to church, talks about his pastor as if dude is current, doesn't mean he/she goes all the time, which is what Munchkin03 was trying to tell you, but you disregarded her post, too. We can go on and on with this shit, and still never come to an agreement. You can bring up past tense verbs and any other dumb shit you want to bring up to cover yourself, you're still wrong, either way.
I give up. I am indeed sorry if I offended you. But I really can't help it if you refuse to understand what I have explained repeatedly, and if you insist on calling me out for making assumptions when just about all of your responses have been based on your own assumptions rather than on what I actually said.

Done.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I give up. I am indeed sorry if I offended you.
LOL @ this mofo. You "give up" home's? You haven't offended me. I don't give a shit about you enough to take offense to what you say or have said to me.

Quote:
But I really can't help it if you refuse to understand what I have explained repeatedly, .
I understand what you were trying to do. But that's just it, you want me to only have an understanding of what YOU were trying to tell me, disregarding what two other usernames other than myself were trying to get you to understand.

Quote:
and if you insist on calling me out for making assumptions when just about all of your responses have been based on your own assumptions rather than on what I actually said..
LOL the fuck? I didn't call you out, you made an attempt to call me out, and failed. I never said I don't make assumptions, we all do. Just know that some of the assumptions you and the rest of us make can come back and bite us in the ass, like it did to you in this conversation.

Quote:
Done.
LOL you said that previously. Oh wait, I forgot, we're talking past tense here, you could have changed your mind LOL.

Last edited by Iota Man; 07-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.