GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,166
2 members and 1,164 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-06-2019, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
If I understand correctly, Georgetown doesn't formally recognize GLOs, but Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta operate under their full names and do conduct recruitment. That said, KKG does list a "Georgetown" chapter on their website; but, Theta omits the university name and lists only the chapter designation.
And, actually, Kappa Alpha Theta *does* list a "Gerogetown" on their list of chapters by university name; but, when you select it, it says "no results found". Then, if you search by geographic location (D.C), Theta Iota chapter, with no university name mentioned, comes up. Sooooo convenient that they just happen to have a misspelled university name on their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Georgetown's Greek Life page is interesting... Greek organizations are unrecognized and unsupported, but an important part of the community.
The page you linked to is for the Georgetown University Student Association. I think GUSA (notice the .org?) is not the same thing as the university having an employee-led Greek Life Office. Which, as far as I can tell, they don't have a GL office. I agree that GUSA's statement was odd - it's like they are trying to be everything and nothing all at the same time.

True and Constant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2019, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Georgetown and GLOs.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, Georgetown doesn't formally recognize GLOs, but Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta operate under their full names and do conduct recruitment. That said, KKG does list a "Georgetown" chapter on their website; but, Theta omits the university name and lists only the chapter designation.
Georgetown doesn't formally recognize *social* GLOs, *many* other GLOs are recognized, including two that pledge: Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity (the chapter that Bill Clinton was a brother of during his time there, chapter chartered in 1956) and the Founding chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon Foreign Service Fraternity (founded in 1920).

Note, Alpha Phi Omega doesn't allow chapters to exist in the "Unrecognized" state. If the school stops recognizing the chapter, that automatically pulls the charter.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Which, as far as I can tell, they don't have a GL office.
That is correct. They have some *L*O*V*E*L*Y* volunteers from the GL offices of other universities nearby, who, out of the kindness of their hearts, work with the Theta and Kappa chapters in their free time to organize and run their recruitment. I helped out two years ago with formal recruitment and was amazed at how well everything was orchestrated--truly wonderful chapter members, exec boards, and student life professional volunteers, all around!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenHeart View Post
That is correct. They have some *L*O*V*E*L*Y* volunteers from the GL offices of other universities nearby, who, out of the kindness of their hearts, work with the Theta and Kappa chapters in their free time to organize and run their recruitment. I helped out two years ago with formal recruitment and was amazed at how well everything was orchestrated--truly wonderful chapter members, exec boards, and student life professional volunteers, all around!
Georgetown is my alma mater and you have taught me something new today. That's really good to hear. Is there any interest in a third NPC org on campus?

And as stated above, GUSA is pro-Greek, but the university is anti-greek.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Georgetown is my alma mater and you have taught me something new today. That's really good to hear. Is there any interest in a third NPC org on campus?

And as stated above, GUSA is pro-Greek, but the university is anti-greek.
Wow. Cool. Thanks! My info is from fall of 2017--my last NPC friend to graduate from Georgetown did so in spring of 2018, so I am not sure how things currently stand. I would imagine it may complicate things a smidgen more for a volunteer Greek Life Office crew to handle to add in a third, but again, I don't know how things have or have not grown since then. Sorry I can't shed more light!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenHeart View Post
Wow. Cool. Thanks! My info is from fall of 2017--my last NPC friend to graduate from Georgetown did so in spring of 2018, so I am not sure how things currently stand. I would imagine it may complicate things a smidgen more for a volunteer Greek Life Office crew to handle to add in a third, but again, I don't know how things have or have not grown since then. Sorry I can't shed more light!
It's all good! I usually get tea from the APO undergrads there (I am an alum of that chapter), but I've found there usually isn't much overlap between the APO and NPC members.