GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,506
0 members and 2,506 guests
No Members online

Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are we considered "social" fraternities?

I am looking to start some conversations about the nature of NPC, IFC, NPHC and MGC fraternities and sororities being considered "social" organizations.

Many of us have generalized greek-letter organizations into "academic" "service" or "social" but has the latter given us a bad rap as to our nature? Yes we're social, but what about the leadership, service and academic components of our organizations? How can we develop a term that embodies all of these areas and more?

What campuses and organizations have given up on "social" and considered new terms such as "comprehensive" or "leadership?"

I'm open to any and all ideas and look forward to the conversation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Baird's categorizes them as "General Fraternities" rather than "social."

I like that phrase because it doesn't eliminate the social aspect from NPHC organizations, many of which are service or social action oriented.

It also embraces the (slightly) new approach to NIC fraternities which seem to be more about developing the total man.... mind, body, spirit....leadership, service, social graces.

"General" works for me.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Who cares? Leave it be.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the following definition for Social Fraternities and Sororities as provided by the University of Wisconsin-Madison Student Organization Office.

The term "social" in social fraternity and social sorority refers to social development. The original intent of these organizations when they began in the 18th Century was to assist students to become "socialized," that is, directed, with proper consideration of one's future responsibilities as a citizen in society. The individual and the organization's members base membership on mutual choice. Social fraternities and sororities are self-governing and self-supporting organizations.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZ71 View Post
I am looking to start some conversations about the nature of NPC, IFC, NPHC and MGC fraternities and sororities being considered "social" organizations.

Many of us have generalized greek-letter organizations into "academic" "service" or "social" but has the latter given us a bad rap as to our nature? Yes we're social, but what about the leadership, service and academic components of our organizations? How can we develop a term that embodies all of these areas and more?

What campuses and organizations have given up on "social" and considered new terms such as "comprehensive" or "leadership?"

I'm open to any and all ideas and look forward to the conversation.
Because that is how a 501(c)(7) is defined by the IRS. We are considered to exist for the benefit of the membership, thus contributions to us are not tax-deductible. Many of us have 501(c)(3) foundations or funds through which we can accept tax-deductible contributions for the purpose of charitable activites.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
n/m.

Last edited by banditone; 04-11-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Because that is how a 501(c)(7) is defined by the IRS.
And because Title IX makes a distinction between "social fraternities and sororities" and professional/honorary/academic organizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Baird's categorizes them as "General Fraternities" rather than "social."

I like that phrase because it doesn't eliminate the social aspect from NPHC organizations, many of which are service or social action oriented.

It also embraces the (slightly) new approach to NIC fraternities which seem to be more about developing the total man.... mind, body, spirit....leadership, service, social graces.

"General" works for me.
"General" and "social" aren't necessarily synonymous, though. "Social" implies that the organization exists for the social betterment and benefit of its members (in the fullest sense) rather than the professional or academic betterment or benefit of its members. "General" implies that the organization draws members from the student body generally rather than favoring certain areas of study, disciplines or interests. While in most cases, if one term applies to a group then both do, there are "social" fraternities that are not "general" fraternities.

And if you saw the pledge books/membership manuals of many "general' fraternities from 50 or 75 years ago and saw the amount of space devoted to etiquette, study habits, attire, leadership and the like, I don't know that you'd consider it a "(slightly) new approach."
Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZ71 View Post
IWhat campuses and organizations have given up on "social" and considered new terms such as "comprehensive" or "leadership?"
Social is not a dirty word. The Greeks out there who self-flagellate need to stop thinking it is.

If someone had tried to get me to join a "comprehensive" or "leadership" sorority, I probably would have thrown up on their head.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Social is not a dirty word. The Greeks out there who self-flagellate need to stop thinking it is.

If someone had tried to get me to join a "comprehensive" or "leadership" sorority, I probably would have thrown up on their head.
Social fraternity is better. When applying for a job, if they see "leadership fraternity", unless its the peace corps, they likely will think "so this douche couldn't get into a real fraternity I guess..."

Hope that offended some folks.

Leave it be, its worked to this point hasn't it?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Social fraternity is better. When applying for a job, if they see "leadership fraternity", unless its the peace corps, they likely will think "so this douche couldn't get into a real fraternity I guess..."

Hope that offended some folks.

Leave it be, its worked to this point hasn't it?
*LOL*

That was funny.

I belong to a social fraternity, and I'm dang proud of the fact that it is social.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting question, but Social Greek Organizations do so much more than Socialize as in party!

They or socially involved in Student Government, Chairity Events, Homecoming and Intermurals.

Well, I guess that says they are more well rounded than just living in the dorm, hanging out at the Student Center, and doing what ever they do with the few people that they know from class or the dorms.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Interesting question, but Social Greek Organizations do so much more than Socialize as in party!

They or socially involved in Student Government, Chairity Events, Homecoming and Intermurals.

Well, I guess that says they are more well rounded than just living in the dorm, hanging out at the Student Center, and doing what ever they do with the few people that they know from class or the dorms.
There are plenty of people in "social" fraternities that are not involved in homecoming, intramurals, student government, etc.

.....and to say that fraternity members are more well rounded than those that are not is kind of a shitty statement. Me and plenty of guys in my chapter have very good friends at Texas that decided not to go greek, for one reason or another. They are well mannered, from good families, have a large amount of friends, and are no different than your typical Southern "fratty" type guy. To say they aren't as "well rounded" is quite inaccurate.

If it takes pledging a fraternity for you to have a large base of friends.......then you have bigger things to worry about.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah I dunno, I don't like ther term "Social" either. Sigma Nu sort of developed an internal culture of being an "Honor Fraternity". Our founders were southern gentlemen soldiers so they were big on Honor...something we try to maintain in our chapters through today.

But I agree "Social" evokes the party animal image pretty unfair since "Cultural" houses on my campus are just as wild as we are! We get Phi Beta Sigmas over our house as much as other fraternity guests
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
There are plenty of people in "social" fraternities that are not involved in homecoming, intramurals, student government, etc.

.....and to say that fraternity members are more well rounded than those that are not is kind of a shitty statement. Me and plenty of guys in my chapter have very good friends at Texas that decided not to go greek, for one reason or another. They are well mannered, from good families, have a large amount of friends, and are no different than your typical Southern "fratty" type guy. To say they aren't as "well rounded" is quite inaccurate.

If it takes pledging a fraternity for you to have a large base of friends.......then you have bigger things to worry about.
Hey Macallan, where are You Going, What are You doing? The House!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".