GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,392
0 members and 2,392 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It's basically like Migma Pambda Shamma being a Multicultural Sorority only situationally, and a Latina Sorority when it's convenient.
You are killing me many times over in this thread. Where should I send the bill for the coffin?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post

http://www.sigmabetarho.com/home.html

I may have been in a cave for the last few years, but I could have sworn that this organization used to promote itself rather heavily as a South Asian fraternity. No offense intended in case anyone gets any ideas about my post. I had recently been talking about this new image and then just saw 33girl's old post.
Hmm this IS interesting.... only because I do remember them promoting themselves as a SW Asian fraternity when they were trying to get established at my school a few years ago. Now their website mentions nothing of it.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
You are killing me many times over in this thread. Where should I send the bill for the coffin?
lol..... i missed this.....

You can bill APO
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
It's cool if a black girl wants to join LTA (just using them as an example not saying they are culprits of this) because she sees something in them she aspires to, or that she feels they are really holding it down. That doesn't make LTA a latina sorority with multicultural membership; it is a Latina sorority, period. They were founded as a latina org, they service the latino community. 1 black girl, 100 black girls, or a diverse chapter does not change that fact.

ignorance is bliss, but I can't blame you. I would love to tell you a little more about our history, but fortunately (or unfortunately) that is only privy to our members. but, I guess the Universal Woman has always been and is now exclusively a latina. sorry, I did not get that memo.

To clarify (you are only half correct):

"Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. was established in 1975 as the FIRST sorority to cater to the needs of Latinas.

Since then, Lambda Theta Alpha has grown to over 90 chapters across the United States and Puerto Rico. We are an organization that strives to promote academic excellence, work hard for our community and for the advancement of Latinas and the Universal Woman."

so yes, we were founded as a latin org, but to say we only service the latino community is quite limited.

Last edited by CULater; 01-21-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Please don't come to GC "explaining."
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

1. I never claimed that serving the latina community was lta's only purpose but that it was a primary purpose.
2. I'm working with info provided by your sorors so if you have a problem with the info I provided then you might wanna take it up with them.

I'd advise you to go back to posts where I as well as other people have discussed the differences between an organization with multicultural membership and an organization that is multicultural in purpose.

And don't use "private" history to try and make a point. If it can't be referenced publicly, it shouldn't be used to butress an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
ignorance is bliss, but I can't blame you. I would love to tell you a little more about our history, but fortunately (or unfortunately) that is only privy to our members. but, I guess the Universal Woman has always been and is now exclusively a latina. sorry, I did not get that memo.

To clarify (you are only half correct):

"Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. was established in 1975 as the FIRST sorority to cater to the needs of Latinas.

Since then, Lambda Theta Alpha has grown to over 90 chapters across the United States and Puerto Rico. We are an organization that strives to promote academic excellence, work hard for our community and for the advancement of Latinas and the Universal Woman."

so yes, we were founded as a latin org, but to say we only service the latino community is quite limited.

Last edited by Ch2tf; 01-21-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Please don't come to GC "explaining."
And for nothing. The opinion of her organization's purpose won't change because one member shows up on GC.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

lol
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1. I never claimed that serving the latina community was lta's only purpose but that it was a primary purpose.
2. I'm working with info provided by your sorors so if you have a problem with the info I provided then you might wanna take it up with them.

I'd advise you to go back to posts where I as well as other people have discussed the differences between an organization with multicultural membership and an organization that is multicultural in purpose.

And don't use "private" history to try and make a point. If it can't be referenced publicly, it shouldn't be used to butress an argument.
I have a problem with what you said in the BOLDED words. Maybe it is being picky about how things are worded, but after reading what you wrote, I personally perceived it as the fact that you are limiting my sorority to only be servicing the latino community, and when you use the word "PERIOD" that means THE END. no ands, ifs, or buts. A lot of what we do does center around trying to inform the general community that will promote their knowledge and understanding of the latino community, but a lot of it is also to uplift the universal woman, not just latinas.

Yes I read some of that stuff about being multicultural, but I am not arguing that point. I am arguing the point that you are limiting my sorority by what you specifically wrote in the words I bolded.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The only reason an LTA can run wild on this board is because there are no Pi Chis or SLUs to keep her in her place.

*runs out of thread*
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have problem with it because you are a non latina in a latina org? Again I'm going by info your own sorors provided me. So if there are discrepencies in house handle that in house.
Until the history and mission of your org changes not to mention the SELF prescribed title of being a latina sorority then Lta is a latina org.

Take head of what I said earlier about looking beyond your chapter and your region when seeking to define a trend. And do note that when I mean something as an exclusive I will say ONLY.

Good Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
I have a problem with what you said in the BOLDED words. Maybe it is being picky about how things are worded, but after reading what you wrote, I personally perceived it as the fact that you are limiting my sorority to only be servicing the latino community, and when you use the word "PERIOD" that means THE END. no ands, ifs, or buts. A lot of what we do does center around trying to inform the general community that will promote their knowledge and understanding of the latino community, but a lot of it is also to uplift the universal woman, not just latinas.

Yes I read some of that stuff about being multicultural, but I am not arguing that point. I am arguing the point that you are limiting my sorority by what you specifically wrote in the words I bolded.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you have problem with it because you are a non latina in a latina org? Again I'm going by info your own sorors provided me. So if there are discrepencies in house handle that in house.
Until the history and mission of your org changes not to mention the SELF prescribed title of being a latina sorority then Lta is a latina org.

Take head of what I said earlier about looking beyond your chapter and your region when seeking to define a trend. And do note that when I mean something as an exclusive I will say ONLY.

Good Day

I crossed in a different region I am currently active in, and have met with many sisters across the nation. yes, I am non latina, but that does not mean I don't understand that LTA is a latin organization, nor do I ever want Latin to be dropped from our name. I already said I have no qualms about that why are you trying to use it as an argument? I just said that what you specifically wrote came across as rather limiting to me, and I wanted to clarify that we do a lot of things geared towards the universal woman, not just the latin community.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Is there a fundamental difference between Latin and Latino? I really don't know, so I'm just curious.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^ Is there a fundamental difference between Latin and Latino? I really don't know, so I'm just curious.

no, latin is Latino as alum is to alumnus/alumna.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!