GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,265
2 members and 2,263 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Why do multicultural GLOs/organizations exist?

We've seen many, many threads that ask this question and have it answered, but I wanted to see a thread that is easily searchable.

Why were multicultural organizations started? What is the purpose of multicultural organizations?

Feel free to offer your comments, positive or negative.

Multicultural GLOs did not start in an environment in which membership, in the current GLOs, was unavailable for "multicultural people." We recognize this. We have a different purpose altogether.

We are not here because we were rejected by our desired organizations, nor are we here to hurt other orgs - and we certainly do not exist because we believe that other organizations are not open to diverse membership!

How audacious it is to me for some to assume that we discourage people from checking out ALL GLOs to find their match, simply because we "think" that other GLOs are discriminatory. As a general rule, this is not the case.

We were started by and for multiculturally-minded people. If you want to join an org that caters to needs of all people and actively works toward equality across the board, you can find that in a multicultural organization.

Other organizations do offer those qualities, but multicultural orgs are set apart in that they exist with the primary function of promoting multiculturalism. In theory, even if a "multicultural" organization were all-white/black/latino/asian/etc. but the members worked toward equality of ALL people, the organization could potentially be considered multicultural.

If, however, the thrusts and foci of that organization were primarily directed at a particular interest, that organization by definition cannot be "multicultural." It can have multicultural membership but it cannot be a "multicultural organization."

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This is what I don't understand. Many NPC philanthropies DO address the needs of all cultures. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, illiteracy, etc all transend cultures.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

While GLOs try to do the good for many that is not the question.

Maybe the reason that MCGLOS and LGLOS have come into being is that these people Men/Women do not feel comfortable with what is available.

So, if one doesnt, then why not start something that they feel good with?

Guess I am being Plain and Simple!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
This is what I don't understand. Many NPC philanthropies DO address the needs of all cultures. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, illiteracy, etc all transend cultures.
These are all noble and worthy causes. That is definitely not the question at hand. But, to respond, were NPCs started specifically to bring equality to all people? As I understand it, NPCs were mostly created to provide a place for women to come together and work under the tenets of each individual organization. In that case, the original mission of NPCs seems to be along the lines of feminism (let's not get all wild here - I mean the mission of feminism, not that all the women of the NPC are feminists, per se).

I agree that each of the philanthropies you mentioned cross cultural borders, but they do not necessarily bring equality to people. And, there is a difference between the mission of an organization and the philanthropy of an organization.

The philanthropies are reflective of member concerns but are not necessarily indicative of an organization's primary mission - though many times they are.

I considered historically African American, Latina AND Asian organizations when I first started out. And while the membership in many orgs is diverse, the primary concerns of these organizations was not broad enough for me, personally. For MANY people, the primary concerns of these orgs is precisely what they're looking for. That's why it's such a great fit!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Why do multicultural GLOs/organizations exist?

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
We've seen many, many threads that ask this question and have it answered, but I wanted to see a thread that is easily searchable.

Why were multicultural organizations started? What is the purpose of multicultural organizations?

Feel free to offer your comments, positive or negative.

Multicultural GLOs did not start in an environment in which membership, in the current GLOs, was unavailable for "multicultural people." We recognize this. We have a different purpose altogether.

We are not here because we were rejected by our desired organizations, nor are we here to hurt other orgs - and we certainly do not exist because we believe that other organizations are not open to diverse membership!

How audacious it is to me for some to assume that we discourage people from checking out ALL GLOs to find their match, simply because we "think" that other GLOs are discriminatory. As a general rule, this is not the case.

We were started by and for multiculturally-minded people. If you want to join an org that caters to needs of all people and actively works toward equality across the board, you can find that in a multicultural organization.

Other organizations do offer those qualities, but multicultural orgs are set apart in that they exist with the primary function of promoting multiculturalism. In theory, even if a "multicultural" organization were all-white/black/latino/asian/etc. but the members worked toward equality of ALL people, the organization could potentially be considered multicultural.

If, however, the thrusts and foci of that organization were primarily directed at a particular interest, that organization by definition cannot be "multicultural." It can have multicultural membership but it cannot be a "multicultural organization."
So when's your book coming out?

I am all for organizations that serve the community and advocate honorable qualities in their members. I am also for education within the Greek system. Our organizations were not created in a vacuum. We are all responding to needs we feel other organizations either can't or don't provide. Or in some cases we aren't aware that these organizations actually do respond to the needs we claim no one is paying attention to. So there's an ongoing need for dialogue and collaboration.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Why do multicultural GLOs/organizations exist?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
So when's your book coming out?
Don't tempt me!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly do multicultural GLOs do to promote diversity/multiculturalism? I'm not very familiar with them. I have, however, been involved with diversity/multicultural clubs in high school, but it wasn't exactly a good experience for me.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
What exactly do multicultural GLOs do to promote diversity/multiculturalism? I'm not very familiar with them. I have, however, been involved with diversity/multicultural clubs in high school, but it wasn't exactly a good experience for me.
I hope some other folks will come in and help with this question. Theta Nu Xi chapters hold forums and other events to help educate people and promote appreciation, among attendees, for each other. We also have a very strong national objective toward Greek unity. In addition, internally, we have instituted certain programs and requirements to help each of our members familiarize herself with as many different cultures and opinions as possible. We also position ourselves to be able to take on opportunities that will allow us to be involved in cultures other than our own and to support members of that culture.

For example, I was recently approached by a young Muslim organization in NYC whose major goal is to provide school and teaching supplies for the betterment Afghani students here and abroad. They asked if I would join their Board of Directors to provide insight from a position that they are currently lacking. Because of time constraints, I will likely be unable to take on such a large responsibility, but I did offer to serve on their Advisory Board (which is very active also because of the young age of this particular organization).

Also, in my graduate program, I am supposed to fulfill an internship requirement to graduate. I am currently looking at three ministry opportunities that involve Native American youth.

While I could certainly have done all of these things without Theta Nu Xi in my life, membership in the sorority provides me with opportunities that I would have never known before and a place to discuss touchy issues that I would not be comfortable sharing elsewhere.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 12-02-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
These are all noble and worthy causes. That is definitely not the question at hand. But, to respond, were NPCs started specifically to bring equality to all people? As I understand it, NPCs were mostly created to provide a place for women to come together and work under the tenets of each individual organization. In that case, the original mission of NPCs seems to be along the lines of feminism (let's not get all wild here - I mean the mission of feminism, not that all the women of the NPC are feminists, per se).

Wow! I really respect you coming out and educating us about this. It's so much easier to understand and respect when someone explains it like you, rather than people being yelled at for being un-PC.

But about your comment, I think Delta Phi Epsilon, Sigma Delta Tau, and Alpha Epsilon Pi were established for Jewish students? I'm not sure so someone let me know if I'm wrong on that one.

KLTC
Old 12-02-2004, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
My school's campus is diverse, however there are cliques that exist between the races. It's not because people are rascist, it's more because many minorites feel more comfortable surrounded by members of their own culture.

The NPC sororities are mostly white. Only a small amount of minorities rush each year for these reasons. But to be fair, the minorites that do mostly end up with bids. Although the NPC is mostly white, some chapters here would like to see more diversity.

I and some other girls decided that we would like to colonize a chapter of a MCGLO on this campus because we have to try and break down those barriers. We also wanted to breathe new life into Greek Life here. Most people haven't the slightest clue about sororities here, and it sucks. Also, the MCGLO we are interested in is run differently from the NPC sororities. People here are interested in us simply for that reason. Sometimes a change is needed. This is why MCGLO's exist.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
But about your comment, I think Delta Phi Epsilon, Sigma Delta Tau, and Alpha Epsilon Pi were established for Jewish students? I'm not sure so someone let me know if I'm wrong on that one.
SDT and AEPhi (sororities) were established specifically for Jewish women. D Phi E has always been non-sectarian. Although on some campuses it is called a "Jewish sorority" this is not true. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Old 12-02-2004, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
There are a number of reasons that MCGLOs exist, and I can appreciate their missions and goals even though I am not a member of an organization that is considered one. As of right now, my organization is considered an LGLO that is seeking to broaden and expand multicultural membership, which is why we refer to ourselves not as a Hispanic Sorority, but as a Historically Hispanic Sorority, meaning: we got our start there and our traditions from there, but this is a constantly growing and developing organization. I am impressed by the efforts and programs put forth by MCGLOs and can only hope that someday soon my organization can contribute to those goals. MCGLOs serve to bring about a new perspective on equality and unity and are committed through their MISSION to advancing those ideas and views. I am so proud of my greek ties to such amazing people. As long as they move forward with their efforts, we ALL benefit, so I say that MCGLOs deserve a thank you and a lot of support.

-Greek Love & Respect
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to point out that some of the newer ethnic greek-letter organizations WERE established in part due to the lack of acceptance in the NPC. Some of my own Founding Mothers, for example, were rejected when they tried to sign up for NPC recruitment (a very sad story of how it went down), and this was in the 1980s. This is one of the things that prompted them to establish a Latina sorority.

I think we are fortunate in that there are so many choices when it comes to greek life! I realize that there are tons of organizations with similiar missions, etc., but they are all needed. If a sorority or fraternity (no matter the focus) can be a home to someone, then I say more power to them! Even more if they provide service to their campus and community.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 12-02-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Although on some campuses it is called a "Jewish sorority" this is not true. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
This post gave me a Seinfeld flashback.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
SDT and AEPhi (sororities) were established specifically for Jewish women. D Phi E has always been non-sectarian. Although on some campuses it is called a "Jewish sorority" this is not true. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
I think this has to do with the fact that DPhiE was founded by Jewish women and their famous alumnae (at least the ones I know about) are Jewish as well, so people asssociate that with being a sorority for Jewish women. But my IRL sister is a Deepher and she tells me the sorority itself is not founded on Jewish ideals, but a lot of Jewish women choose to join that house- hence, its a "Jewish" house, at least on her campus.