GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,042
2 members and 2,040 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal vs. Formal as a sophomore at FSU

Hello!
I am transferring to FSU in the spring and I am hoping to join a sorority. The only question is if I should jump right into informal recruitment and risk not meeting every sorority or if I should wait until fall Formal and rush as a sophomore. I think that I would prefer to go through informal recruitment; however, I am unable to get a firm grasp on what it is.
I have seen many comments from FSUZeta on threads saying that I will definitely need letters of recommendation, but I am a first generation in college and I do not have any family members or even friends of family that are currently in sororities. What should I do?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations typically do not come from current members nor from members of the chapter at your school. Any alumna may write one. So, ask your teachers, coaches, employers, parents' friends, parents' co-workers, etc...anyone who might have gone to college. If they aren't members of any of the groups at FSU, do they know anyone who is. When you find someone who is, ask if she knows anyone in the other groups. Greek women know other Greek women.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

I think you should give spring recruitment a try. If you find a sorority you love and they offer you a bid, why not go ahead and join? If you don't find a match you have fall formal to look forward to. Contact FSU Panhellenic by phone to get the scoop on spring recruitment. It is typically held in the latter half of January, but it is important that you get the information straight from Panhellenic. Here is a link: http://www.greeklife.fsu.edu/Current...ic-Association

As to recommendations, Titchou gave you great advice. You need to exhaust all your possible contacts for recommendations. Some, but not all, sororities allow collegiate members to write recommendations, so in addition to her list of possible rec. writers, you might ask former HS classmates. Even if they can't,they might be able to give you the name of a local alumna who might write one for you. Also be sure to ask neighbors and the parents of your friends.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI, AOII does allow collegiates to write recs (MIFs for us) but I think that it is pretty uncommon to have a rec written by anyone other than alumna.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta allows collegians from other chapters to write recs, but my daughter's group (Pi Beta Phi) reserves this right for alumnae.

Has anyone ever compiled a list of NPC groups that allow collegians to write recs, and those who don't? I know policies can change, but that would be helpful info. for PNMs.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting back to the original question, adjusting to ACS after recruitment usually opens up some COB spots in the fall after formal recruitment and again in the spring after December graduates.
The advice to contact FSU Panhellenic ASAP in January is sound indeed. You need to get your name out there. Weigh all options!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Think of joining a sorority like finding a husband. You can meet all of them, but what is gained by having done so? If you find one you like, go for it. Remember that it is a lifetime commitment so don't treat pledging during informal as something less serious as if you'd gone through formal. Plus it can give you the opportunity to jump in with less stress and get involved sooner.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Think of joining a sorority like finding a husband. You can meet all of them, but what is gained by having done so? If you find one you like, go for it. Remember that it is a lifetime commitment so don't treat pledging during informal as something less serious as if you'd gone through formal. Plus it can give you the opportunity to jump in with less stress and get involved sooner.
Good analogy.

AOII

Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
FYI, AOII does allow collegiates to write recs (MIFs for us) but I think that it is pretty uncommon to have a rec written by anyone other than alumna.
I believe the FSU AOII chapter does not use recs from collegians of that chapter. That us what an active told me this past recruitment.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I believe the FSU AOII chapter does not use recs from collegians of that chapter. That us what an active told me this past recruitment.
You are correct, collegiate members can write recs, but not for their own chapter. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

AOII

Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

The thing is, I had every intention of participating in recruitment this past fall, but then my mother got sick and I had to stay home. I sent recommendation letters to all of the sororities, but they were from people online because I had attempted to find people that I knew in my hometown.
When should I send the recommendation letters in by? Should I have started hounding them down already?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you meant "hunting them down" - right? I bet you're on your phone. Cursed autocorrect!

B/c "hounding" isn't a good idea.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt that most chapters save recommendations that were sent in for fall recruitment. You will need new recommendations.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahale496 View Post
The thing is, I had every intention of participating in recruitment this past fall, but then my mother got sick and I had to stay home. I sent recommendation letters to all of the sororities, but they were from people online because I had attempted to find people that I knew in my hometown.
When should I send the recommendation letters in by? Should I have started hounding them down already?
You don't send the letters of rec. The alumnae who wrote them do.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

But the women who know you personally will understand and should be glad to write you a new one. It's not like you're some flake going through rush over and over again. A genuine request and thank you for their additional time should do it.