GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,374
0 members and 1,374 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine had painted and decorated a canvas.....so wall art. The kinds of gifts she got from her big leading up to the reveal - crafts, tees, tote bag, hat, sweets. They do get spoiled!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Momoftiger, there are some new alternatives to paddles, that have the cute crafty aspect without the negative connotation. I suppose it depends on the sorority, but I know we have a lot of women who decorate a wooden crescent. As an example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/225039312603318423/

In other news, I am so excited for recruitment to start!!! I'm going to miss the beginning of work week as I'll be out of town, but will hopefully will get to be with my ladies for a decent chunk of time during work week and recruitment. I love the energy, the anticipation. Definitely one of my favorite things about being an advisor, especially on a campus like Mizzou.

Best of luck to all the PNMs and actives!!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That is super cute!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay Mizzou moms--from your daughter's experiences, what time of day was preference? Afternoon? Evening? I want to make sure she is not over or under dressed. The pictures on PHA for preference seem pretty casual. Any thoughts on clothing per day and if you have an estimated time of day for each round? THANK YOU! How do people get through this without this type of support?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

You could make something like this ahead of time and put the monogram on at the last minute. Or simply center the letters vertically as well as horizontally and no monogram will be needed. If you don't want a sorority symbol, you could do the school letter or logo such as the Washington and Lee trident.

Last edited by alum; 08-06-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftiger View Post
Okay Mizzou moms--from your daughter's experiences, what time of day was preference? Afternoon? Evening? I want to make sure she is not over or under dressed. The pictures on PHA for preference seem pretty casual. Any thoughts on clothing per day and if you have an estimated time of day for each round? THANK YOU! How do people get through this without this type of support?
Not a mom, but...

Last year there were up to 5 preference parties held at each house. PNMs go to no more than 3. There was an all PNM meeting from 8:00 (am) to 8:45. First party started at 9:00, last party ended at 2:10. I haven't seen this year's schedule, but that should give you an idea of what it could be, assuming it's the same format this year.

Most days start around 8:00 or 9:00 am, and will end by around 4:30 or 6:30 pm. PNMs may still have some activities after that, and the nights when they have to input preferences into the computer system (Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat) can be a bit time consuming.

There is a recruitment schedule that kind of outlines everything in general terms, on page 5 of the Recruitment Book: https://orgsync.com/100308/files/806459/show
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes....the parties were not night time events. I do agree about the pictures on PHA somewhat. I don't know that I'd go strapless for preference. You don't have to go super dressy. Mine wore a tank sort of shift style dress - in a crepe material to give it a little flowiness. Nude dressier wedges. Accessorizing jewelry.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any PNM pictures, but if it helps at all, here are some Gamma Phi actives from last year's preference round.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! This was very helpful
Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Last of recruitment stuff bought. Seem to have lost the gold belt we bought just for recruitment, and I think I just bought the same one

Hitting the road for Como in an hour!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Momoftiger, there are some new alternatives to paddles, that have the cute crafty aspect without the negative connotation. I suppose it depends on the sorority, but I know we have a lot of women who decorate a wooden crescent. As an example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/225039312603318423/

In other news, I am so excited for recruitment to start!!! I'm going to miss the beginning of work week as I'll be out of town, but will hopefully will get to be with my ladies for a decent chunk of time during work week and recruitment. I love the energy, the anticipation. Definitely one of my favorite things about being an advisor, especially on a campus like Mizzou.

Best of luck to all the PNMs and actives!!

The Michael's store near my house has added a whole aisle of stuff just for wood crafting. There's a ton of cool stuff that would be good for sorority women in there. I saw some super cute owls and a really cool anchor.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sitting in a hotel room in COMO waiting for move in time at the house to help my daughter get settled in her new room. Being here in this same hotel is bringing back memories of being here last year getting ready to move her into the dorms and send her into recruitment. It is a time of such incredibly strong emotions getting ready to send your baby off to college, and when you add recruitment into the mix it can feel pretty overwhelming. Reading this site helped tremendously. Moms of PNM's I hope we can be of help to you as you support your daughters through recruitment. For me the waiting was the hardest part. Sitting in my office waiting for the text with the houses she was invited back to felt like eternity!

One thing that really helped me and also allowed me to help her was hearing from other moms that it is not only common, but really inevidible that every girl will be cut from one or more houses that she really likes. Almost no one has a "perfect recruitment". It helped me be prepared to support my daughter when that day came, and it helped her to not take it too personally when she was cut from a house she really liked. In the end she received her bid from the house that was her favorite from the first day, but there were some bumps along the way.
Looking forward to hearing your daughter's story and hoping with you that she will have a good recruitment experience and find just the right fit for her.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

That's going to be us in a week. So many emotions.

Will she be living in her sorority house? If so, that's pretty exciting

Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
The Michael's store near my house has added a whole aisle of stuff just for wood crafting. There's a ton of cool stuff that would be good for sorority women in there. I saw some super cute owls and a really cool anchor.
If you are looking for fun wooden letters, www.mossijossi.com is a great site. Some cute stuff! Official Greek Licensed vendor too!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Work week has begun and the girls are working 12 hour days getting ready to welcome the pnm's to their houses! It's so exciting for all of them. This week is a special bonding week for them.
I miss her. It seems that it doesn't get easier to send them off. Best wishes again to all the moms and daughters! Here's hoping a greek home is found and the girls make their houses what they want it to be!
Closed Thread