GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,067
3 members and 1,064 guests
John, PrettyBoy

Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Ohio teens guilty of rape, face year-plus in jail

Yahoo news
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-teens-gui...6028--spt.html
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community's athletes.

*click link to read the rest.*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Good. The evidence was overwhelmingly against their favor. The real facts (pictures, copies of texts, witness accounts) were made known to the public a week or so ago. These boys were lucky they were tried in a juvenile court.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Parents really need to teach their boys that having sexual contact with a female that is intoxicated is fraught with risk. She may not be able to think clearly enough to consent, and they may rightly be looking at a rape charge. Having sex with a female who is unconscious is unconscionable. The baseline state of consent is NOT yes.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Since they were tried as juveniles, will they have to register as sex offenders?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Since they were tried as juveniles, will they have to register as sex offenders?
According to this article, yes.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this means that they cannot major in education in college, no coaching for them. They will show up on the sex offender finder online in their dorms, I am sure the co-eds will not be thrilled. Can't play football in college bc they can't be in a locker room with any player who might not be 18 yet. They never thought about the ramifications of their actions one bit, I am sure they never pictured it ending up like this. I know that poor girl will never be the same, but I hope the decision brings her some peace.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Parents really need to teach their boys that having sexual contact with a female that is intoxicated is fraught with risk. She may not be able to think clearly enough to consent, and they may rightly be looking at a rape charge. Having sex with a female who is unconscious is unconscionable. The baseline state of consent is NOT yes.
I'm a believer that SCHOOLS should teach this stuff, as well. Abstinence-only sex ed is such a failure, and even the states with real sex ed are teaching how to avoid pregnancy and STI's. Enthusiastic consent and how to talk about sex with your partner really needs to be part of the curriculum.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm a believer that SCHOOLS should teach this stuff, as well. Abstinence-only sex ed is such a failure, and even the states with real sex ed are teaching how to avoid pregnancy and STI's. Enthusiastic consent and how to talk about sex with your partner really needs to be part of the curriculum.
After an early 90s lawsuit, my college teaches this as part of orientation. Obviously it needs to be taught earlier, but it's a good start.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly with you.

AOII

Old 03-17-2013, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I agree whole heartedly with you.
Plus, I'm a fan of good sex, and that's a nice side effect of "yes means yes". Sadly, the same forces who want abstinence only are also opposed to the idea that sex is fun.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Plus, I'm a fan of good sex, and that's a nice side effect of "yes means yes". Sadly, the same forces who want abstinence only are also opposed to the idea that sex is fun.
Yes, and many times they are the same group that think that women are asking to be raped.

AOII

Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, you know the human body has a way of shutting that whole thing down...
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

1. DBB are you seriously blaming abstinence-only sex ed for this? While I agree that sex ed should definitely include consent and open communication between partners/potential partners, I have a hard time believing the former is actually what you're implying because that's such a big jump. Please clarify.

2. I didn't realize that "digital penetration" counted as part of the definition of rape. I thought it would fall under molestation or lewd acts but, as it is some type of penetration, that makes sense. Legal buffs, has it always been included?

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
I didn't realize that "digital penetration" counted as part of the definition of rape. I thought it would fall under molestation or lewd acts but, as it is some type of penetration, that makes sense. Legal buffs, has it always been included?
What constitutes rape varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and has, as I understand it, varied throughout history.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post

2. I didn't realize that "digital penetration" counted as part of the definition of rape. I thought it would fall under molestation or lewd acts but, as it is some type of penetration, that makes sense. Legal buffs, has it always been included?
In most of the articles I've read about this, digital penetration is considered rape in Ohio.