GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,476
2 members and 1,474 guests
Titchou

Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the first "reply" I've seen

http://gawker.com/5993140/attention-...ion-to-college
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As anyone in the Burgh can tell you, don't cry too hard for this one. I'm sure she'll be fine. TA is pretty much at the top of the heap as far as Pgh City Schools are concerned.
Ah yes, but she *should* have gone to Ellis or Shadyside or Sewickley. In my poor plebeian heart, I weep, I weep.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
College selection is like recruitment... Not everyone is top tier material, as un-PC as it is. It's not the sorority's fault that the PNM is totally unremarkable. Also, college isn't for everyone - someone that mediocre is probably destined for a life of retail, with or without the degree to prove they can sit still for four years.

/Preaching to the choir
Even the "top tier" can't take everyone who is qualified. There are only so many seats in a new member class or in a freshman class. Harvard has space for X number of students and Yale has space for Y number of students and Wash U has space for Z number of students. Harvard might see something they like in a student who hates Harvard and is set on Wash U. Meanwhile, she can't get the time of day from Wash U. And thousands of other freshman are headed for perfectly fine careers from University of Illinois or Missouri Science and Technology.

It's okay and it will be okay. Time to grow up, kid.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm playing my mini violin for her.....

not!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw her on the Today Show this morning. She did pretty well there. What I got from it was she got cut from several schools on the same day and was crying to her mother about it who shut her down as being whiny and ungrateful. So she called her sister (presumably the WSJ editor) to continue venting and instead of feeling sympathy was laughing hysterically and told her she needed to write all that down.

So my guess is she was venting the less than PC, less than grateful things that were on her mind, while knowing that it is all un-PC and very entitled. And BTW, it sounds like she's going to end up at Michigan. She said she had gotten offers to Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Penn State (odd choices IMO compared to what she was looking at) and hadn't decided yet but sort of grunted Go Blue under her breath.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

First, I thought that the author is funny and articulate. Second, she is correct. I don't know how many high schools there are in the United States: EVERY school has a student body president, a valedictorian, lead(s) in the school's plays. From that sampling alone you could definitely fill all the classes in the Ivies....if not more.

(Incidentally, she didn't give another way to raise the profile....a little gift to the university.) And please don't poo poo at that...it works...lots and lots of times.

The author isn't entitled. You work hard and you are told that you will get what you want...most of the time. Or you will succeed. College admission is fickle, with many permutations.

Signed: Ellebud (who went to two of the top universities in the country) and Mr. Ellebud (from an Ivy
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

So my guess is she was venting the less than PC, less than grateful things that were on her mind, while knowing that it is all un-PC and very entitled. And BTW, it sounds like she's going to end up at Michigan. She said she had gotten offers to Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Penn State (odd choices IMO compared to what she was looking at) and hadn't decided yet but sort of grunted Go Blue under her breath.
Michigan seems to be a back-up for many Ivy rejects. It's an incredible school, and some of my favorite people in the world went to UM. She could do a lot worse. And she can always try to transfer into an Ivy later on.

Last edited by adpiucf; 04-05-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It wasn't so much the Michigan and Penn State that I thought as weird, but the Wisconsin and Indiana which while nearly as good as Iowa are still pretty typical Big 10, state school type environments. Relatively speaking not that hard to get into, don't have the OMG you got into there? prestige. And that also isn't saying they shouldn't be. I think the big schools offer a lot to the right kind of student. You just better not be the type that needs a lot of personal attention because you're not going to get it at a school with 20,000+ students.