GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Phi Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,439
2 members and 1,437 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 08-13-2002, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

What is convention like?

I've been reading a little about GLO conventions and my interest has been sparked...can anyone tell me something about what you do for the 5 days at convention? Is it at the same place every year?

I'm thinking of possibly attending next year, depending on my schedule and financial situation.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

DPhiE's conventions are biannual.....unfortunately you missed this years convention. We do have a sort of regional meeting in the off years located in different cities. I forget where convention 2004 is going to be, but I think it is south somewhere. Shadokat?? I bet you know!!!
If you want to talk about convention, pm Dphies00, I think that is her name. She's the VPR of Eta chapter, she went this year.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Convention 2004 is slated to be held in San Antonio, TX!! I am definitely going this time. I couldn't go to Orlando this year because of my advising our colony in Indiana, I didn't have enough vacation time to do both. I went to Convention 2000 in Miami, and it was really great. Here's a general idea of what Convention is like:

Day 1: Fly in, register, get all of your materials, check into you room! Dinner with a keynote speaker. Always someone fun and interesting! After dinner, they do some teambuilding stuff, but that's basically it for Day 1.

Day 2: All delegates have Grand Chapter meeting...meeting of all the delegates and the International Council. That's the bulk of the morning. Then lunch, with a speaker. Afternoon sessions are workshops on pressing issues like recruitment, alcohol, sisterhood burnout, dealing with conflict, etc. Then, dinner, and some sort of activity (songfest, etc.). You can go out after that and see some sights, but it's normally like 8:30 - 9:00 PM.

Day 3: Finish Grand Chapter meeting...lunch...Afternoon sessions are more workshops. Then, that night is the awards banquet, where all of the collegiate awards are done. It's a dress up affair, and really fun

Day 4: Usually a big workshop with the entire delegation on something important...in 2000 it was Alcohol-Free Housing with the fraternities. Lunch on your own this day if I remember...then a couple more workshops. Since this is the last night, they have something big and fun. In 2000, it was a carnival, and it was AWESOME!! This year I think they did a mardi gras thing. Again, tons of fun...this night is just about having a good time. They do the silent auction winners and the t-shirt drawings and all sorts of games and TONS of food.

Day 5: A good and welfare in the morning along with breakfast. A few more speeches, etc, and then you're done, and off you go home with more information than you can fathom

It's a wonderful experience, and it really shows you that D Phi E isn't just your own chapter or those close to you, but really an international organization of nearly 85 chapters around the country and in Canada. I advise that if you have never attended a convention, put it on your "to do" list , because it's something you'll never forget.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like fun!

By 2004 I'll be back living in Los Angeles, so Texas would defientely feasible for me.

Plus I've never been....I've always wanted to see Texas!

I also really love the idea of seeing Deephers of all ages, my chapter's alumni isn't exactly active and it's nice to know that there are adult alumnae out there who still hold the flame, so to speak.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I volunteered for 3 days at Convention 2002 along with a few from my chapter, and we all concluded that we will NEVER EVER miss another convention as long as we live! It is such a marvelous feeling to know that you share a common bond w/ so many women from across the country (and border even)! Grand Chapter was amazing...lets just say I got goosebumps as we said the prayer. I can finally say that I met Dawn McNulty!! ((YAY)) I also got to meet Daphne, Felicia, & Bobbi, who i bug soooo much!! Perhaps not everyone is as enthusiastic as I am about convention, but I will DEFINITELY be @ Convention 2004 in Texas...hope to see you there!!!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I've been to three conventions.........they get better every time! It is most definitely worth the time, effort and $ to be there.

Shadocat sums up what happens pretty well in her "agenda,". It's the best way to meet other DPhiEs. Sorority is so much more than just your own school's chapter of DPhiE, and this is the best way see that, to experience it, to make new friendships with other DPhiEs and to get/stay involved. There were TONS of alums at the last one in Orlando.

...Lookin' forward to bein' in San Antonio in 2004 with ya'll!

Iris
Old 09-02-2002, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Conventions are so much fun. I attended conv in Norfolk, VA in 98 as an active and this past June in Orlando as an alum volunteer. All I can say is I can't wait for San Antonio, and finally a convention that's semi-Westbound .
Old 09-03-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcdphie
Conventions are so much fun. I attended conv in Norfolk, VA in 98 as an active and this past June in Orlando as an alum volunteer. All I can say is I can't wait for San Antonio, and finally a convention that's semi-Westbound .
I have to say, I really like the location it's going to be in! Not that I've ever been to Texas, but it's way close to where I'll be living at that time.

And it'll be really cool to have the chance to meet so many people....now that I"m volunteering, I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, thanks you guys for the idea of putting together an alumnae association here in D.C., we have almost enough interested parties in the area to do a charter, so it's really exciting how things are coming together.