GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,247
0 members and 2,247 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Need Assistance...Again

Okay,

I will speaking at a Leadership Seminar for High School Students on this Friday. I will discussing Courage, Perseverance and Goal Setting to incoming 9th graders for 35 minutes. I would like for this discussion to be interactive.

I plan on giving out notebooks and pens to the students so that the kids can have a journal to use specifically for writing down their goals. I will share some of my personal story and highlight points that I think are key for them to know. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I can do to make this presentation effective and interactive? Any websites that I can go to that may help me with this?

This is my first public speaking event so I really want to do a great job. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Re: Need Assistance...Again

Quote:
Originally posted by darling1
Okay,

I will speaking at a Leadership Seminar for High School Students on this Friday. I will discussing Courage, Perseverance and Goal Setting to incoming 9th graders for 35 minutes. I would like for this discussion to be interactive.

I plan on giving out notebooks and pens to the students so that the kids can have a journal to use specifically for writing down their goals. I will share some of my personal story and highlight points that I think are key for them to know. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I can do to make this presentation effective and interactive? Any websites that I can go to that may help me with this?

This is my first public speaking event so I really want to do a great job. Thanks in advance for your help.
I teach 9th grade, some suggestions are make it interactive, when you allow students to share and get involved they are more likely to respond to the topic. Ask questions about them things they might think are important. Lecturing usually just bores them (it bores me!) If you consider your self "in-touch" with their culture and dialogue use that as well. Since it seems to be a large group bring the focus on you but have them involved. For example tell them three things about yourself two that are true and one that is a lie, make them good but don't make the lie obvious, have them guess as an audience. You may even give a prize out, the ice is broken and you can transistion into the topic. Good luck I have plenty of ideas if you need more.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!!

I will be speaking to a group of about 16-20 students. I will be sharing the floor with someone else. We will be speaking for a total of 1 hour and 15 roughly. I think the students will be primarily African American.

The coordinator of the event suggested that I share my personal story which is why I wanted to make sure that I am just not lecturing but giving them specific skills to put in their proverbial tool box as they begin their 1st year in HS.

I like the idea of asking them how do they define courage or perseverance--maybe asking if necessary if they know what that word means to start a dialogue, then give them my 'speech'. What do you think?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Need Assistance...Again

Quote:
Originally posted by darling1
Okay,

Small "buzz" groups that move quickly are effective, just make sure you haev some type of noise maker (bell, whistle, etc.) to bring the group back together, especially if you have a large group.

You could do something like have the students organize themselves into small groups (4 - 6 is best) and come up with a fictional character that they feel exibited courage/perserverance/goal setting and why they feel this character displayed courage/perserverence, etc.. Have each group pick one character and reason why to share with the larger group. One person can be spokesperson for their small group. If you have an overhead or flip chart write down their responses. Use this list as the spring board for your discussion. This shows them they already KNOW what it looks like, not just have to do it!

The SMART Goals acronym is a good tool to use for goal setting if you are familar with it. After you teach them the qualities of a good goal, have them spend a few minutes writing a goal in their notebook. You can either have them work in small groups to share their goals and evaluate if the goal meets the SMART criteria, or you can have several people volunteer to share their goal and have the group as a whole determine if it meets the SMART criteria.

Another idea I have used in the past is to give the students a puzzle to solve. An easy one is the "connect the 9 dots using 4 straight lines and without lifting your pencil" exercise. I'm not sure what you call it, I just call it DOTS. After a few minutes you can give them a hint of "think outside the box", and if they can't solve it, you can solve it for them. The learning point is that sometimes to be successful you have to go outside the norm, do things different that others. Real courage comes from thinking outside the box and doing things differently from other folks", etc. etc.

If you can, give small prizes to those that go out on a limb and show "courage", by volunteering. Stuff like motivational bookmarks, pens or post-its can be inexpensive, but will mean something to the kids if they are recognized in front of their peers.

Hope these help at least a little bit! If you want more info on any of the ideas, let me know, I just did this off the top of my head.

Last edited by Eclipse; 08-18-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Need Assistance...Again

I think that W1908's post are excellent ideas! Kids today(and grown folks too) get bored---quick! But I have found that music is the key that opens young (kids) minds. I like calling on kids who are the least talkative or the shyest 1st. Let music be your intro-but keep it short and sweet.
Oh, you could put them in groups and give them huge sheets of paper and colored markers to draw what their idea of "Captain Courage" would look like. Have them divide the paper into what qualities should he/she have.Then discuss. No matter what the age folx like to color!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Miss Priss is right music is another good way to get them. Since its only 16-20 kids which is smaller than my classes you can really get more personal and hands on with them. I don't know if the format of your speech gives them an oppurtunity to work in groups but all the group ideas are great as well. If kids respect you thats a plus, like I said earlier finding a way to relate to them on their level shows you made an effort to communicate as wells as being "cool". You may want to try to use celebrities as examples, which ones show perseverance and courage even if you get some answers like 50 cent or Lil Kim, you can have them show ways even they have demonstrated those attributes just be sure to point out that they are the exception and that that is not excatly the life they want to live, then use more idealistic examples like politicians, teachers, and yourself.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking thanks

Ladies:

Thank you so much for your assistance. I will incorporate these ideas and I will let you know how the conference went.