GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,403
2 members and 2,401 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I know last year was crazy with XO, so did that make a difference as far as chatter? Is there usually some sort of "scandal" each year? Since last year was my first year back in the Greek scene, it seemed CRAZY, but I didn't know if that was abnormal.

Good luck to anyone going to Pref today BTW. My daughter believes it's complete TORTURE to make PNMs wait for bids tomorrow with no classes to keep them sane. Am I naive or is it truly refreshing to see how much present members worry about PMNs connecting to the house and being happy/successful vs thinking PNMs will be theirs to harrass and "haze" so they know their place?!?! I don't believe it's just her house, but all sororities in general are trying to spread a culture of building each other up vs tearing down.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNMmom18 View Post
I think the thread is quieter because there is now an IU FB group like this thread. I just read on there someones daughter maxed her options and got no bid for Prefs. I didn't think that was possible if you listed all your houses available?
What is the name of the FB page? Just curious (nosy) to go see what people are saying.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think the thread is quieter because there is now an IU FB group like this thread. I just read on there someones daughter maxed her options and got no bid for Prefs. I didn't think that was possible if you listed all your houses available?
No, this is not possible. I don't think preference parties are even over. So bid matching has not even begun, so she cannot be bidless. I think the mother might be confused, maybe the PNM in question did not receive any invitations to preference?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SisterMom19 View Post
What is the name of the FB page? Just curious (nosy) to go see what people are saying.
Sorority and Fraternity Life - Indiana University for Parents
Old 01-19-2020, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
No, this is not possible. I don't think preference parties are even over. So bid matching has not even begun, so she cannot be bidless. I think the mother might be confused, maybe the PNM in question did not receive any invitations to preference?
Right no invitation to preference, I am sorry I must have worded it wrong. Still I thought that was impossible?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Right no invitation to preference, I am sorry I must have worded it wrong. Still I thought that was impossible?
No, you can be cut totally at any stage before Bid Day.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorority and Fraternity Life - Indiana University for Parents
Didn’t know about that page. Just scrolled through it.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SisterMom19 View Post
Why are some of these "top tier" houses playing into this game of being proud of their rank when it's based on the men they are associated with vs what THEY as a group of women bring to the table?!?!?! I know this is the exact opposite of what the founding women of my sorority (and I'm sure ALL of the other 21 on campus) would want their organizations "rank" to be based upon.
It is DISGUSTING to me that holding on to their perceived status is more important to IU NPC houses. All of the power is in the hands of 18-22 yr old ‘boys’ and what they “value” in a group women. So the houses do everything but pimp their members out. (And that’s optimistic.)

Lottery, lottery, lottery—with severe punishments for non-participation.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
It is DISGUSTING to me that holding on to their perceived status is more important to IU NPC houses. All of the power is in the hands of 18-22 yr old ‘boys’ and what they “value” in a group women. So the houses do everything but pimp their members out. (And that’s optimistic.)

Lottery, lottery, lottery—with severe punishments for non-participation.
No kidding. Hurray for female empowerment.

Last year I browsed that stupid site. My dd ended up pledging one of the "lower" ranked chapters. What was said about that chapter by both males and females on that site (I won't refer to them as men and women...they don't deserve it) was disgusting. The women at my dd's chapter are wonderful. I'm glad to have her associated with them.

But unfortunately, this goes beyond the IU Greek system. Pretty much reflective of society sad to say.

I have been watching the FB page and commenting a bit. There are some sad mommas on the page right now and I can relate. I was there last year. And I don't think anything anyone said could have made me feel better. Hopefully everyone comes out stronger on the other end and knows themselves a bit better.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw a few comments about a chapter passing notes to the PNM, I thought that was against the rules?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

It's possible. It is ordinarily if you attend pref parties and list all chapters where you attended pref, that you will receive a bid.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey all! Mom of a rushing freshman this year. Round one was a shock, but she was happy with some options. Then round two was a major shock and lots of tears, but she regrouped and reassessed her list (kudos to the rho gam for getting the girls their lists hours before the first party. Lots of time to cry it out and gather themselves.). Really enjoyed one of her sisterhood houses. Got Two invites to preference round. Loves one, is borderline with second. But her rho gam (who is very invested in her group) encouraged her to put both down. I personally would have encouraged her to suicide so if she didn’t get the bid to her first choice (which was originally in her top 5 during 22 round) then she could have been eligible for informal. But it isn’t my process or experience and she and the rho gam made the decision together. Cheers to trusting the process. Praying it works out.

Also praying for those poor mamas who have devastated daughters without invitations.
I read that on the fb page also.

I’ve been a stalker, and have enjoyed your comments.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Cheers IUmom20 and glad you posted! Glad to hear that your daughter's rho gam was helpful! Best to you and welcome to the group!

Last edited by ivyrose2; 01-20-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
I saw a few comments about a chapter passing notes to the PNM, I thought that was against the rules?
In what context?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In what context?
On the FB page, one PNM didn’t get any houses back for pref, the mom posted that an active sent her a note after a round that said they really liked her implying that she would be invited back. It sounded like the PNM was being told she’d be invited back and then was cut.

Anyone can join the FB group, just send the request to the admin.