GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 669
0 members and 669 guests
No Members online

Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Problem...

What do you do when the Student Activities Coordinator at your school doesn't like local organizations?

The new SAC came to a Greek Council meeting the other night and pretty much told everyone that she was against locals and didn't want them on campus anymore. She also claimed that she was meeting with lawyers to take some sort of action againt us. I think she is bullshitting everyone. I guess someone asked if it had anything to do with us dropping out of our local Panhellic Council and she wouldn't respond.

There are only 6 organizations on campus: 1 national fraternity (Theta Chi), 2 national sororities (Delta Phi Epsilon & Phi Sigma Sigma), 1 local sorority (Alpha Theta Chi), 1 local fraternity (Kappa Delta Xi), and 1 LGBT fraternity (Lambda Delta Chi). Cutting locals out of the picture would bring the number down to 3 recognized Greek organizations.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Go to her supervisor

I would find out who she reports to, and then make an appointment to tell that person how you feel. It seems to me that the SAC did not give a satisfactory explanation of her actions, so you are within your rights to ask her supervisor about this. You might want to take some documentation with you, such as a list of some of the accomplishments of the locals. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2003, 04:53 PM

hmmm, the LGBT fraternity is local and she "doesn't like locals"? Gee, what a coincidence. Not that I'm intimating she has a problem with LGBT, but someone else damn sure might.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Her boss is a lesbian and happens to be the Advisor for the LGBT fraternity so I don't think that is the root of the problem...
Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by AOX81
Her boss is a lesbian and happens to be the Advisor for the LGBT fraternity so I don't think that is the root of the problem...
Which if the LGBT is also a local, how couls she "eliminate" the locals w/o eliminating that local because her boss is the advisor? I'm tellin' ya, she's full of it and she's trying to scare someone into something. Do her one better and talk to her boss about it. Hell if her boss is an advisor of the local she might happen to have a thing or two to say about it.

Not to mention the fact that it soundsl like she gave NO EVIDENCE to why she wants locals off of campus. It's discriminatory and I'd make one hell of a stink about it.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I need help again...

I know that they can't kick us off campus due to the fact that we are local and it is a public university...but where do I find material to back this up?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I found this in the University Student Handbook.

"Students are free to organize and join associations, and conduct business in their own interest. Student organizations have the right to establish membership requirements, qualifications for office, and rules of procedures for operation within the guidelines established by Student Government. University facilities are reasonably available so far as their primary use for educational purposes permit, on a non-discriminatory basis, to registered student organizations."
Old 02-18-2003, 02:04 PM

If there is nothing in your student handbook that says you can't have local GLO's, that is all the documentation you need. Some schools do have this rule - here's an example:

http://www.lhup.edu/stulife/student_...ions.htm#greek

Basically you don't have to prove why you should be there, she has to prove why you shouldn't be. I forgot to ask - is she saying she wants you to affiliate with a national or she wants you gone, period?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I forgot to ask - is she saying she wants you to affiliate with a national or she wants you gone, period?
She's dancing around the issue.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 PM

blah

She sounds like a big twat with no clue as how to proceed in her position. Tell her to go to the student center and put up some table tents and shut the @#$% up.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm also agreeing with others

i'm also agreeing with the others who have replied to your message. You have to find out who's over here in case and take it to them. From reading the story i'm trying to understand how can someone from the Student Activities Board, can come in and try to tell some students whether your greek or now how to run things or if you should be on this campus. It sounds like to me that you should talk to your President of the College as well as get other greeks invloved on campus, because she's showing no concerns for your enjoyment and your experience, and she's just looking to meet her needs and not the students. So go and find out if she has the power to get rid of greeks on your campus and from the looks of things i think she's just running her mouth, i don't see any school giving a advisor that 's in charge of student organizations the power to get rid of greeks on campus. So hit me back and let me know.. peace
Old 02-19-2003, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

NIP THIS IN THE BUTT.

This Coordinator seems to be very inexperienced and I doubt this will be that hard to solve.

SOLUTION: Money Makes the World Go Around.

Question 1: How old are these locals?
Question 2: How much money do the alumni of these locals donate to the University?

Look, It's this simple. Spearhead this yourself. Call up prominent alumni, tell them the situation.

Call the office of whoever is in charge of Student Life, the person with the clout and power. At my school this would be the Executive Vice President for Student Life.

Schedule an appointment with this person, your alumni, and yourself. Dress up. Bring an alumni whos very political and a good talker. Make sure everyone understands what exactly is going on so that there is no differences of opinion between the alumni durring the meeting.

Tell this person that "we've done our best to help the university and we'd like to continue to contribute to the university, however the Student Activities Coordinator is making it impossible for us by making threats against our organization, could you please rectify this situation for us."

Have your shit in order, have quotations of what this coordinator said, etc.

Checkmate.
--

See you girls were founded in 1989... which is very young. Our locals were able to pull off something like what I've described above because they are almost 100 years old and have HUGE alumni bases. Even the threat of retracting dotations scares the administration. Perhaps one of the other locals is older try to get their members motivatated to help out. Hold regular meetings about the subject if you have to. Even if they arent old, or donating, pissed off alumni still holds weight and it's still worth a shot

Last edited by archangel689; 02-19-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSSTCY1
Does your University do reviews of greek organizations every few years? If so, find out how've you been doing on your reviews. If they haven't caught you doing anything wrong ( i.e. hazing) then there should be no reason for your expulsion from greek life. If you have a clean slate with your university you can use that to fight back.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
aox... have you heard anything lately?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: NIP THIS IN THE BUTT.

Quote:
Originally posted by archangel689
See you girls were founded in 1989... which is very young. Our locals were able to pull off something like what I've described above because they are almost 100 years old and have HUGE alumni bases. Even the threat of retracting dotations scares the administration. Perhaps one of the other locals is older try to get their members motivatated to help out. Hold regular meetings about the subject if you have to. Even if they arent old, or donating, pissed off alumni still holds weight and it's still worth a shot
Greek life at my campus didn't really start until the late 80s so on our campus we are pretty old.

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
aox... have you heard anything lately?
I just talked to one of my friends and it seems that the university has kicked us off campus and the local fraternity off campus for no reason. It amazes me that we cause the least amount of trouble out of all the organizations on campus and we treated like dirt.

I'm working on a plan of attack right now...