GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,627
0 members and 1,627 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2002, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Bringing HBGLO's to campus

Forum addresses black sororities

By Paula Flood
Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On May 2, members of Mungano answered questions about several historically black sororities they are considering bringing to Baker.

Students on the panel at the forum, which was co-sponsored by student senate, attempted to inform the audience about the history and details of historically black greek organizations and their roles on campus.

Mungano members began working with former Dean of Students Jim Troha last semester on the possible addition of historically black greek organizations. Interested members claim they have enough interested students to start a new greek chapter at Baker.

Freshman Tonika Westbrook began the forum by explaining some history of the sorority.

According to Westbrook, black sororities and fraternities were active on Baker's campus during the 1970s and 80s. Alpha Kappa Alpha and Omega Psi Phi were the last two standing chapters.

Westbrook explained that Alpha Kappa Alpha, the sorority the Mungano members are considering, was founded in 1908 in Washington, D.C.

At the beginning of each semester a potential member can go online, which is equivalent to showing interest in the organization.

After six to eight weeks, the member can cross over to become a full-fledged member.

Mungano members said black greek organizations cannot accept freshmen.

"They want to make sure you have the grades and can balance academics and greek life," Westbrook said.

Mungano members also are considering starting the Delta Sigma Theta sorority on campus.

Members said getting a house is not a major concern at this time and could start a chapter without a house.

For example, panel members stated that members of Alpha Kappa Alpha or Delta Sigma Theta could live in their own wing in the dorms or live together in the apartments.

Freshman Dominic Thomas stated that the male Mungano members are not as far in the process as the women.

Freshman Silas Dulan thinks that having a black greek organization will give the campus more variety and options.

He said people also will choose the house because they like it and not because of the race of its members.

"I believe a person is going to pick a house by the people in the house and what they stand for," he said.

Senior Jill Cormode, who attended the forum, agreed with Dulan.

"I would want to join (a house) because I know you as a person, and I want to be your sister," she said. "It is not a racial issue."

The members of Mungano are hoping to bring in the chapter next fall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this article in the student newspaper from Baker University (www.bakeru.edu). Anyway, it looks like some students are interested in bringing HBGLO's back to the campus. It goes further to take about the "process" to join an HBGLO. I don't think there was a representative for each sorority, but someone was giving out mis-information. I think they should have had actual members from nearby universities on the panel.

[B]
Old 07-23-2002, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think there was a representative for each sorority, but someone was giving out mis-information. I think they should have had actual members from nearby universities on the panel.
I totally agree and really wonder why these student didn't get help from the HBGLO's at the University of Kansas. I believe there are representatives from just about all of Divine Nine, plus some hispanic organizations.

Anyway I know Washburn University in nearby Topeka just reactivated the Upslion chapter of AKA so I hope these girls will have similar success.

I'm kinda of curious, are there HBGLO's on predomintaly white campuses that have official greek houses?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon

I'm kinda of curious, are there HBGLO's on predomintaly white campuses that have official greek houses?
Search for "greek houses" here on GC and you should find a few threads where it has been discussed. I think the discussion was primarily held in the Greek Life section.